LS-2 in a rack?

• Thread starter pmag55
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pmag55

Reaction score
Well I tried to hook up a Boss LS-2 in my rack to A/B 2 preamps . The best I could do was actually play music with both preamps turned OFF ! (weird). Anyone know how to do this hook-up? :scratch:

Mosher Zone

Reaction score
Man, I think I was the one to tell you to get the LS-2. :lol: I don't own one but know how it goes.

Guitar- Input LS-2
Loop A- Preamp - Preamp out to LS-2 A return
Loop B- Peramp 2 - Preamp 2 out to LS-2 B return
LS-2 output to your FX.

pmag55

Reaction score
ls-2 in a rack

Ok, I tried it, no go. the same thing happened, when I switched to loop B i got sound, loop A, none. it turned out though the sound is not coming from the preamp, its coming from the JFX-1. I read that the JFX-1 has a little preamp in it. I double checked and unplugged wires as the notes were ringing. preamps were NOT transmitting sound , when I unplugged from the JFX-1, the sound stopped. Crazy huh?

Mosher Zone

Reaction score
Re: ls-2 in a rack

Ok, I tried it, no go. the same thing happened, when I switched to loop B i got sound, loop A, none. it turned out though the sound is not coming from the preamp, its coming from the JFX-1. I read that the JFX-1 has a little preamp in it. I double checked and unplugged wires as the notes were ringing. preamps were NOT transmitting sound , when I unplugged from the JFX-1, the sound stopped. Crazy huh?

Check the dB levels on the LS-2, maybe they are not set correctly. Failing that have a look on line for wiring setups for the Boss LS-2

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
Re: ls-2 in a rack

If you have no sound coming from Loop A , may be a problem with the LS2 pedal ???
:scratch:

Do you have the function knob set correctly ???

pmag55

Reaction score
Yes, I have tried each setting on the ls-2 with A and B and on some settings I get sound but it is always through the jfx-1. Maybe the ls-2 doesn't work with line level gear? their instructions only show pedals being hooked to it.

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
Yes, I have tried each setting on the ls-2 with A and B and on some settings I get sound but it is always through the jfx-1. Maybe the ls-2 doesn't work with line level gear? their instructions only show pedals being hooked to it.

You may have to put a call to email into Boss / Roland tech. support and see what they say ??? :scratch: :hmm:

pmag55

Reaction score
I don't know how to "show" stuff on forums, but I routed the lines as suggested.
Pre A to LS2 A return--Pre B to LS2 B return--LS2 output to FX--guitar to LS2 input.
Both A and B have a cable going to their 'returns' from the preamps but not coming out of their 'sends' , should there be?

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
I don't know how to "show" stuff on forums, but I routed the lines as suggested.
Pre A to LS2 A return--Pre B to LS2 B return--LS2 output to FX--guitar to LS2 input.
Both A and B have a cable going to their 'returns' from the preamps but not coming out of their 'sends' , should there be?

*Guitar should go IN and OUT of LS2 and out to amp input .
*LS2 Loop A send , to Rack effect input
*Rack effect send or out , to LS2 return

do this for both of your Rack units .... :hbang:

pmag55

Reaction score
It didn't work Hot tubes. I don't think the ls-2 works with rack gear. Back to the store to get my $80 back and spend $1200 on a gcx, gcp and cables.( my mother never raised any fools except one.) Thanks everyone for your help.

pmag55

Reaction score
Well we tried. I tried all the configurations I could think of. The preamps SHOULD hook up just like pedals but no luck. I think the ls2 might not be working or else it doesn't handle rack gear to well. Thanks for your help ,it was greatly appreciated.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
Well we tried. I tried all the configurations I could think of. The preamps SHOULD hook up just like pedals but no luck. I think the ls2 might not be working or else it doesn't handle rack gear to well. Thanks for your help ,it was greatly appreciated.

ditch the rack fx for now & go straight into the preamps to test it.

pmag55

Reaction score
I tried one only . No sound unless I hook up the jfx-1 with it but when I unhook the jfx-1, no sound again. I think that little preamp in the jfx-1 is the only thing working through the ls-2. Anyway I returned it. For now I've put that idea to rest as I have OD'd on tylonol trying to get rid of the headache it gave me. Thanks guys , I think there must be a problem between 1 loop and the output of that unit. I'll try something else for now.