Marshall 1936 Vintage experiences?

• Thread starter Federico Valle
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Federico Valle

Reaction score
Hi!
I just bought a 1936 V cab, I guess i will receive it on Friday.
I have a JCM2000 DSL50, I like vintage tone (Hendrix, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin). Now I'm using a Creamback 65w in a Marshall HZ112 Cab.
Although the name of Marshall Vintage by Celestion speakers (quite different from the Vintage 30), I understand that sound modern, for Hardrock like G'nR.
Of course it's a matter of personal taste, but I would like to read others experience / opinions.
My feeling is that I will end using it with a pair of a Greenback, G12H30, or detuned with a single Creamback 65w as @knulp suggested me
Let me know what do you think or your experience.

jcm800gridlock

Reaction score
I have one. I’ve used it with my ‘70 Marshall 1986 Bass and with a ‘76 Marshall 2204.

It’s a very well made cab. The original speakers sounded fine but I swapped them with a Scumback M75 and a Celestion G12-H30 that I had stashed away.

I probably should have left the original Vintage Series speakers in longer because they also sounded good.

IMG_2418.jpegIMG_2969.jpeg

RLW59

Reaction score
My 1936V Cab is a V30 30 loaded cab, hence the V.

Don't stray.
1936V comes stock with two 70 watt Marshall-labeled G12 Vintage speakers. (Made by Celestion but Celestion only sells them directly to Marshall, not directly to the public like Celestion-labeled speakers.)

There are conflicting opinions on the web as to how similar they are to 60 watt Celestion-labeled Vintage 30's. Full spectrum from "actually exactly the same" to "slightly different" to "very different". People who say they're different usually describe the G12 Vintage as a bit warmer and smoother than the Vintage 30.

But of course people still disagree about whether UK V30's sound different than Chinese V30's. (AFAIK and FWIW, the G12 Vintage has always been UK made.)

Celestion doesn't release info on their OEM speakers with manufacturer labels. Marshall hasn't released specs except for the 70 watt rating.
-------------------
I've had V30's but never a G12 Vintage so the only things I know for sure is that they have different names, different labels, and different power ratings.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
I have some Marshall G12 Vintage and some Celestion V30s. All UK made. They are close but not exactly the same. To my ears the Marshall version is brighter. However, my Celestion V30s are 90's sourced from Mesa Boogie, so probably not the same as made in China V30s.

Rikamortis

Reaction score
To me lower wattage speakers break up easier than higher-wattage ones obviously. If you're using gain on the amplifier I like lower watered speakers cream or green back 25s sound the best with that application v30s are pretty good too but the 75 watt speakers are better with cleans and better with distortion pedals or overdrive pedals. That's all I got. Not sure if that answers your question or not sorry....✌️

MemphisMarshallMan

Reaction score
I have two 1936 cabs and several different Marshall heads to power them depending upon what band I'm playing with.
One cab has vintage 30's in it and sounds nice and warm...think Guns and Roses.
The other cab I loaded with Neo Creambacks. It sounds really good and I usually carry it to gigs because it is very lightweight.
I can cover a lot of styles with the creambacks, from rock to country to metal. It does everything well, but when I need that specific Vintage sound I grab the other cab

Phillip Whitelives

Reaction score
I've used a 1936 cab in the past as a means of saving on weight and size compared to a full size cab. It wasn't really the best solution given the fact that the 1936 takes up the same amount of floor space as a full size cab.

I wanted the same type of sound as the OP. I solved that issue by buying a Marshall 1960TV. It's a little taller than a standard 4x12, but in my opinion, is the best sounding greenback loaded cabinet that Marshall made. Well worth giving a listen if you can find one.

Sunburnstudios

Reaction score
I had a 1936, I didn’t know there was a V edition (mine has 12-75s). I have a 1960V and play a 2525 and a 2555SL through both. I personally love the V30 sound, but I use that 1936 every gig I play. Sounds like you’re getting the best of both worlds!!

myklomaniac

Reaction score
I'll let you know if my 1936V cab, that was ordered end of January 2024, ever shows up. Last word, "delayed until end of August". Long and McQuade Canada. The 1936 cab that was ordered same time was here in 2 weeks. OP, did you buy privately, or from a retailer?

Rockat

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great cabs! I use them a lot!