Marshall 1960av With Art-sla1 Power Amp

• Thread starter Markolol
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Markolol

Reaction score
Greetings,
I'm looking into a new, affordable power amp 1u (no more rack space ugh) for my Marshall 1960AV and the ART SLA-1 looks like the ticket. I've been searching high and low and it appears it would have enough for the Marshall- 280 watts 4x12 V30s, but the real problem might be ohms. The cab only has 4 & 16 ohms MONO and 8 ohms Stereo. I prefer mono but the ART is rated at 260 watts 8 ohms MONO so I believe I'd be able to go 16 ohms on the cab but then I'd lose roughly half the power. Would I have any headroom with a full band? I read some people go 4 ohms on their cab and it's been fine even solid state, but I know that a lower impedance on the cab is usually a nono if not always. I should mention in the manual it says "The amplifier is stable into loads as low as 2 ohms (stereo mode), and 4 ohms (bridged mono mode)." So I don't understand the difference of "stable" 4 ohms vs actually advertised 8 ohms MONO. Does this mean for short periods of time you can go 4 ohms, or don't worry about it, you can always go 4 as long as you're not clipping?

Of course all of this could be solved by buying a more powerful power amp but I can get this SLA1 for half the price (and then some) of a SLA2 or other equivalents such as Matrix, Rocktrons. I'm more worried about the Marshall and speakers safety than the amp's so any thoughts or ideas? Thanks for any info and your time!

Last edited: