Marshall 1987X arrived !! DIMED Beast ! Full Video ADDED !

• Thread starter Anand Mahangoe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Anand Mahangoe

Reaction score
Hi Gentz !
Just a quick short message, I am so OVERWHELMED with this Amp that I just had to share with you my initial thoughts and sound.
I love the NMV idea and play mainly with my Volume knob on my 1965 Strat and my PreHistoric LP. Before this Amp I had a '68 Marshall clone made by Kool Amps : very good but this 1987X is just a TONE Heaven !
I did have a Klon style boost and another Boost pedal but those are completely unnecessary now :)

My LP & Strat go straight into the 1987X -DIMED except for Bass 0 and only using the High Treble Channel...also Dimed of course!
The Amp goes to my Suhr Reactive Load and that feeds my Fractal Audio FM3 for the Cab IR ( Ownhammer Greenback) and for live I also use some FX from the Fractal......

Let me know how you dig the sound and any idea is welcome of course !
Grtzzz,
Anand

Last edited:

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Hi Gentz !
Just a quick short message, the full story and video and stuff will follow later but I am so OVERWHELMED with this Amp that I just had to share with you my initial thoughts and sound.
I love the NMV idea and play mainly with my Volume knob on my 1965 Strat and my PreHistoric LP. Before this Amp I had a '68 Marshall clone made by Kool Amps : very good but this 1987X is just a TONE Heaven !
I did have a Klon style boost and another Boost pedal but those are completely unnecessary now :)

My LP goes straight into the 1987X -DIMED except for Bass 0 and only using the High Treble Channel...also Dimed of course.....Strat sound will follow in the full video but that is also just Clean Heaven by simply rolling of the volume till 3 and killer ! The Amp goes to my Suhr Reactive Load and that feeds my Fractal Audio FM3 for the Cab IR ( Ownhammer Greenback) and for live I also use some FX from the Fractal......

The track has first guitars in a Band mix and after that some noodling only guitars. NO other pedals were used , PURE Guitar & Amp ! The delays what your can hear is from my DAW.

Let me know how you dig the sound and any idea is welcome of course !
Grtzzz,
Anand

View attachment 143245View attachment 143245

Great amps, and sounds good. Since you asked, for my own personal taste, I'd bring the Bass and Mids down (maybe even Vol I) to add a little more articulation/note definition to the rhythm stuff, but that's just me. Sounds good as-is also.

Last edited:

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds killer. I just got an Axe Fx 3, can you explain a little more about how you're using the FM3? Are you saying you're able to play the cranked Plexi through Studio Monitors by using your Fractal somehow? Tell me more...

Anand Mahangoe

Reaction score
Great amps, and sounds good. Since you asked, for my own personal taste, I'd bring the Bass and Mids down (maybe even Vol I) to add a little more articulation/note definition to the rhythm stuff, but that's just me. Sounds good as-is also.
Thanks mate but the Bass is already down to 0 and for rhythms I just turn down the volume knob on the guitar towards 3-5 for more articulation...in this clip I just cranked everything ;)

Anand Mahangoe

Reaction score
Congrats. Best Marshall I ever owned.

You should hear/try it with some real speakers instead of IRs.

I wished I could do that ....have done it in the Past when playing w/d/w with my tubes amps...for the past 10-15 years all my gigs are IEM / stage monitors....no more real cabs unfortunately .
BUT I know and feel what you mean !!

Anand Mahangoe

Reaction score
Did some more testing with my '68 Clone also Dimed vs the 1987X......so close !! I may consider NOT buying the 1987X because it is that close and I slightly prefer the smoother / richer highs of the '68....
BUT the biggest reason of returning the 1987X : I would buy again the Silver Jubilee because that 100W Beast has a much more stronger sound and more different than the 1987X vs my '68 Clone...

Thak you ALL again for your kind comments and input !

if you are interested :

Anand Mahangoe

Reaction score
Sounds killer. I just got an Axe Fx 3, can you explain a little more about how you're using the FM3? Are you saying you're able to play the cranked Plexi through Studio Monitors by using your Fractal somehow? Tell me more...
Hey mate ! Congrats with your Axe FX3 !
YES cranked tube amps with a Suhr Reactive Load Box ( The BEST) and that feeds the Axe FX3 where you add your Cab IR and post FX .....SP/Dif out to your interface / Studio monitors . You can even use the Axe 3 for Pre & Post FX !!
I have detailed videos about the connections / settings and stuff on my Youtube channel.....here is one :