marshall 2555

• Thread starter thork86
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thork86

Reaction score
the stars must be aligning in my favor. just last week i finally save enough and get my dream guitar, a les paul custom in black/gold.

i just happened to browsing my local craigslist today, looking for a good marshall. wasn't looking for anything huge, but came across an ad for a marshall jubilee 100 watt halfstack for a grand. aside from a funky metal face the guy selling added for better airflow while in a roadcase for stage use, seems to be in decent cosmetic shape, but the guts are perfect; clean bill of health from tech, etc etc.. seller couldn't have been nicer guy, said he knows it's rare but prob wanted his old rig to go to a good home.

i'd never tried one before, but this amp sounds absolutely phenomenal.

perfect marshall. master volume is a good thing unlike my JMP I had.

i have my dream rig, rock on.

just thought as fellow marshall-heads, you'd dig the tale.

:dude:

DSC02242.jpg

DSC02243.jpg

DSC02246.jpg

thork86

Reaction score
It really does.

Don't know how I would go about re-doing the front but it doesn't bother me too badly, sounds perfect.

JamesD

Reaction score
Congratulations on your new rig. The front of the head box is just a piece of wood, rounded on the bottom edge, with grill cloth covering it - if you want to replace that metal face.

thork86

Reaction score
Congratulations on your new rig. The front of the head box is just a piece of wood, rounded on the bottom edge, with grill cloth covering it - if you want to replace that metal face.

gotchya, cool thanks! i'm not too handy with woodwork but maybe i'll get around to it when the dough starts flowing freely again.

That's the metal that you would use for a radiator covering.

ah ok! makes sense now :lol: i was trying to pinpoint what it was!

Madaxeman

Reaction score
Great Score! amazing amps.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.
Try her with vintage 30's or Heritage speakers and you'll be blown away even more.
Also try an analogue reverb and eq pedal in the loop.

thork86

Reaction score
thanks! even with the weird front cover panel 1k seemed like a great deal for the package so I jumped on it.

i think the guy said the speakers are swapped out already? said they're 60-watt or 70-watt Celestions. I think they are vintage-30s but I could be wrong.

Last time I took the back panel off a 4x12 my forearms were finished since I don't have any power drills! :mad:

thork86

Reaction score
took off the front metal cover, found a place who makes replacement front covers.

anyways, here's a look around. looks all original, unless somebody sees something suspect?

is the sticker on the one transformer a date of the whole amp? 1989?

Thanks!

DSC02247.jpg

DSC02248.jpg

DSC02249.jpg

DSC02250.jpg

Madaxeman

Reaction score
Transformers are all original. As are caps.
Nothing suspect there at all.
1989 Date code is highly feasible as they were still making these until late that year.
There should be a sticker on the inside/underside of the chassis giving exact production date, which market sold to (UK,USA, Europe, Etc) which is signed by the guys who built/tested it. I hope you do manage to replace the front cover, will look much better when done. Sounds like you got a V30 loaded cab into the bargain, what a great deal.

thork86

Reaction score
Transformers are all original. As are caps.
Nothing suspect there at all.
1989 Date code is highly feasible as they were still making these until late that year.
There should be a sticker on the inside/underside of the chassis giving exact production date, which market sold to (UK,USA, Europe, Etc) which is signed by the guys who built/tested it. I hope you do manage to replace the front cover, will look much better when done. Sounds like you got a V30 loaded cab into the bargain, what a great deal.

Ok cool, thanks!

Yep, ordered a reproduction front cover, but I cant seem to get the old logo off the fabricated metal grill! :mad: Think it's superglued on :(

jcmjmp

Reaction score
The logo should come off with heat BUT the mounting pics are probably broken off. You best bet to to simply get another logo.

thork86

Reaction score
The logo should come off with heat BUT the mounting pics are probably broken off. You best bet to to simply get another logo.

Oh, ok. They have tabs or something which clip on to the cloth on the original-style front grille?

:confused:

monty john

Reaction score
Great score, yeah I have the Heritage speakers in mine and dig em.....always a shame to see someone screw up a legendary piece of gear but once you fix the faceplate, your off and running F"OREVER....I have read the later year Jub are the best but don't know why?????? Plug in the Les Paul and let the mayhem begin....LOL

thork86

Reaction score
Thanks, it's a killer amp.

Anybody know what effect pulling the GAIN knob out does? Pulling the output knob obviously switches channels, and pulling the gain knob out on CLEAN channel basically give you a nice crunch, not lead gain but crunch.

however, with the Lead channel engaged, pulling the gain knob out doesn't seem to do much.... sounds to me like it cuts some of the low and mids out? maybe makes it a little tamer, which is the reverse of what it does on the clean channel....

lengthy description, sorry for that, but trying to find out what exactly it does as "pull rhythm clip" doesn't make sense to me.

i'm probably ignorant to what that means!

MM54

Reaction score
Much better without the metal front! As was said, I'd suggest getting a new logo for it since 1) the pegs are probably off the old one, and 2) the H is broken (Unless it's a Marsnall) :p

monty john

Reaction score
Hey bro, that knob is the rythym clip knob when pulled out...it turns the clean channel into a rythym mode.....it does nothing to the dirty channel....

So basically pulled out you go from rythym clip to lead footswitchable...no clean however.....back in clean to dirty...

Hope that makes sense for you...