• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Marshall 30th Anniversary

• Thread starter DragonSarc
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DragonSarc

Reaction score
is there a comparable amp to the 30th anniv amp? power and features? amount of valves? :hippie:

Last edited:

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
SOME SAY A ENGL POWERBALL IS A COOL SOUNDING AMP,I PERSONALLY HAVE NOT
HERD THIS AMP, BUT IT SEEMS TO BE MENTIONED IN THE SAME REVIEWS ALOT. I ALSO
RUN A LM6100 MARSHALL AND I LOVE IT ,IT THE MOST COMPLETE AMP I HAVE EVER USED. ( imho)

sojatriani

Reaction score
SOME SAY A ENGL POWERBALL IS A COOL SOUNDING AMP,I PERSONALLY HAVE NOT
HERD THIS AMP, BUT IT SEEMS TO BE MENTIONED IN THE SAME REVIEWS ALOT. I ALSO
RUN A LM6100 MARSHALL AND I LOVE IT ,IT THE MOST COMPLETE AMP I HAVE EVER USED. ( imho)

Stop yelling at me...:eek: My friend has a 6100, blue tolex, I have offered to trade him my truck, $$$, my wife,... he will not part with it. It has to be the sweetest amp I have ever seen. I would say the JSX would be comparable as it was moddeled after the ones Joe Satriani used for years.

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
again sorry about the caps , yes indeed i have played through a blue skin w/ el34 ,for
the classic marshall sound . i personally own a lm6100 w 5881's and find it to be borderline orgasmic . i have put this against many other amps and it takes a back seat to none of them. and i also am a huge fan of satriani, but joe used a boss ds 1 pedal
in clean channel , so i tryed it and it sounded like crap to me, go figure!!

sojatriani

Reaction score
Get the Satchurator, awesome pedal,I bought one about 3 weeks ago and haven't used the dirty side of my amps since, sounds good thru all of mine, it is all Joe uses now on the clean side of the JSX for solo stuff, his DS-1s were heavily modded, but yea, the blue anniv. is my ending point, when I get one, my G.A.S. will be over.....I hope......

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
i have a keeley modded ds1 and it sounded awful . his amps and his pedals
get mixed reviews on the net , but you say it sounds great through the
clean channel of a jsx. i'm not understanding why he would have a custom
made amp and then run a pedal in the clean channel to get that sound .
but lets get real he knows a thing or two about tone...

steelhorse

Reaction score
i have a keeley modded ds1 and it sounded awful . his amps and his pedals
get mixed reviews on the net , but you say it sounds great through the
clean channel of a jsx. i'm not understanding why he would have a custom
made amp and then run a pedal in the clean channel to get that sound .
but lets get real he knows a thing or two about tone...

I have a modded DS-1 from another guy. I had a Keeley and hated it too, this other one sounds much smoother and sweeter. More organic. In all honesty I rarely use it because I love amp distortion so much more.

I also have a JSX 120 and why anyone would use a pedal is confusing to me.

Perhaps it adds even more options to the amp? I'm guessing that's the reason because the crunch and ultra channels are great. I have TAD 6L6's installed in mine.

And while I respect Satch as a player I'm not digging his tone, but the amp is awesome.

sojatriani

Reaction score
Joe uses the Satchurator to recreate his tones of the older stuff live, on most of his newer stuff he uses the JSXs OD. I love the sound of the JSX, and I like Joes' tone, the perfect blend of old and new, not thin like Vai's, fat and bluesy. The ultra channel on the JSX is just insane!!! I am considering trading my VM for a JSX, Steelhorse, would that be wise, is the JSX as good as people say, compared to the VM?? Again, I dig Satchs' tone. The JSX would probably suit my instrumental style.

steelhorse

Reaction score
That's funny you would ask that soj!

I'm trying to sell my halfstack JSX in order to invest in a VM! LOL

If you dig Satch's tone then JSX is the way to go + with a few tweaks it can go metal whereas the VM is not as versatile imo.

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
in defence of satch, check out his tone on "live in san fransico" he was still running the 6100's and that sound he was getting was pretty awsome , to get real technical , there is a certin song where they take the audio from only his guitar and nothing else , that shot is when the camera is from behind him, and looking out from behind his cabs .
killer fat marshall tone .....

sojatriani

Reaction score
That's funny you would ask that soj!

I'm trying to sell my halfstack JSX in order to invest in a VM! LOL

If you dig Satch's tone then JSX is the way to go + with a few tweaks it can go metal whereas the VM is not as versatile imo.

I hear ya, I really want to get the JSX, and I would probably sacrifice the VM as I paid a boatload for it, and it does what it does great,it only really does one thing, I would have to sell it and buy a JSX. After what I went thru to get it, my wife would think I was crazy for selling it. If I do, I will give you a shout.

sojatriani

Reaction score
in defence of satch, check out his tone on "live in san fransico" he was still running the 6100's and that sound he was getting was pretty awsome , to get real technical , there is a certin song where they take the audio from only his guitar and nothing else , that shot is when the camera is from behind him, and looking out from behind his cabs .
killer fat marshall tone .....

Yep, I watch that DVD once a week at least. That is why I want a 6100 so bad!!!!:rock:

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
that has to be his best live dvd , i own them all , and its awsome
i too watch them all the time , sometimes i will put the dvd on just to listen to audio,
its that good. and i dont care what you have to do to get a lm6100, JUST GET ONE !!
god bless jim.

steelhorse

Reaction score
No argument that his tone then was great but I don't think a lot of his more recent stuff is as good imo.

And that's of course with the 6100's.

His tone is much better and fatter than Vai's thin ass tone though

Kendall124

Reaction score
Howdy Gang,
just a quick chime in. I ran a 6100 (5881's) for a while. I thought the 2 overdrive channels were thin and buzzy. It took alot to get her dialed in. I ran her through a 1960AV cab. Had a lexicon in the loop. Ended up selling the whole rig to my coke dealer and then spent 6 months in treatment.
I too like Joe's tone. I have a DVD of the first G3 tour. His feedback is crazy cool. He has Marshall cabs in the backline. Seems his tone today is a little too mid-rangie for my liking. And Vai too thin? Maybe my ears are toast, like my brain. He has custom cabs and a couple of small Bogner cabs. Funny how the good old Marshalls are hidden back stage.

I'm sorry I lost the cab,
glad I lost the dealer.

tazzboy

Reaction score
I always what to to try Marshall 6100LM with 6L6 just for grins.

spaceforlease

Reaction score
satch's tone and vai's tone are both thin in my opinion. very "fragile", if you know what i mean. but satch's tone in the G3 with malmsteen was INSANE! especially when he played "the extremist"... though i'd prefer if he turned the treble a little lower and get some more bass. im guessing that was the 6100 he used, coz it was definitely a marshall tone!

you know who's got the perfect marshall tone? jason becker... you should hear his jams. WICKED SICK! very thick and chunky, without losing the crunch. its like biting on a snicker bar or somethin :D
and he's the one tellin me to lose the jcm2000 and go for a jcm800 :D