Marshall 410h -- What's in the box?

• Thread starter sludgefrog
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sludgefrog

Reaction score
Hey everyone, long time lurker, 12 years of playing Marshall amps.

I just bought a new 410h today from an authorized dealer. It didn't come in a box, and when I got home, I noticed they stripped it bare of everything but the pedal, the box the pedal came in, and a single patch cable.

Can anyone recall what comes in the Marshall 410h box? Manual? Warranty card?

There is a 410hjs unboxing video that shows it comes with a cover. Did I miss out on getting a cover?

iron broadsword

Reaction score
Sludgefrog... Best name ever. Stick around so I can laugh every time you make a post. :lol:

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score

I just bought a new 410h today from an authorized dealer. It didn't come in a box, and when I got home, I noticed they stripped it bare of everything but the pedal, the box the pedal came in, and a single patch cable.

There is a 410hjs unboxing video that shows it comes with a cover. Did I miss out on getting a cover?

Missing:
-User manual
-warranty card
-footswitch cable
-power cable
-pair of Marshall panties

no cover comes with the JVM

dreyn77

Reaction score
check the valves bro! you're just another guy who got stooged from the scummy middleman again.
these tossers need to get out of the industry. stop opening boxes idiots!

SGed

Reaction score
I would ask for my money back. If you spend that much money for an amp it should be in an unopened box. The amp you received was probably a floor model, or one that had been sold and returned. If that doesn't bother you, fine. But you should have been told.

BeardedRetroGuy

Reaction score
Missing:
-User manual
-warranty card
-footswitch cable
-power cable
-pair of Marshall panties

no cover comes with the JVM

The footswitch cable wasn't missing. The OP clearly stated it came with a "patch cable." That should be the footswitch cable.

I know my 1-watt Marshall heads came with a Speaker Cable to hook them to a cabinet, so THAT might be missing from this set. But then again, I'd probably want to purchase a better cable for that one anyway. Something with a long warranty. My local music store sells their cables with a lifetime warranty - free replacement.

OP also never said what he paid for it either.

But I agree with checking the tubes, just in case. Before you turn the amp on, check to make sure all the tubes are seated. When I got my JVM410h (I was a guitar noob at the time), I hooked it right up and was so distressed when NO MODE made any kind of sound. Then I inspected the amp and found all the tubes had been pulled out, individually wrapped in bubble wrap and taped up, then "stuffed" back into the tube cavity in the head. Once I saw that, the paper that had a bunch of numbers in two rows that shipped with he amp suddenly made sense. I installed the tubes according to the paper I had and then hooked it back up. Screaming Marshall tones.

It took me over a year to bother checking the BIAS and they were really close and around 67mV. Balanced both sides at 68mV and that's where I'm at now 4 years later. No tube rolling for me yet.

sludgefrog

Reaction score
UPDATE: I've had a few conversations with the retailer. They are saying that no speaker cables come with it -- they even talked to their distributor and had them open a couple boxes to confirm that no speaker cables come with the heads.

OP also never said what he paid for it either.

Full retail price -- $2,399 CAD.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
All Marshall heads come with a speaker cable...

Wait - Maybe Canadian ones don't?

sludgefrog

Reaction score
UPDATE 2: I called the store and asked them to replace it with a new one. No hesitation -- they agreed to. They are letting me keep this for the interim period.
All Marshall heads come with a speaker cable...

Wait - Maybe Canadian ones don't?

I'm willing to bet that the SKUs are different in different countries.

dreyn77

Reaction score
we've ALL seen a marshall.
We've ALL seen the 10 year old JVM too.
opening boxes today is the most dumbass thing to do.

guys need to realise it's not acceptable. it never was and never will be now the internet is here.

it's a dumbass middleman trick of their OUT DATED trade.

all of this stuff now needs to come directly from the factory to your door.

we are just wasting our time with the old system still hanging around.
these jokers need to move out of the industry.

maybe they need to open our packets of food too.

dreyn77

Reaction score
maybe they need to put a blob of spaggetti on the shelf so we can all see what's in the can. and then they can scoop the spaggetti off the shelf and give it too us in our hands and we can take it home and cook it.

BeardedRetroGuy

Reaction score
We can take this to court if you like, but calling the footswitch cable a patch cable seems unlikely.

A speaker cable and an instrument/patch cable are made differently. The Instrument/Patch cable has a high internal resistance compared to speaker cables. They're also shielded better because your signal from the guitar will be so weak. They aren't designed to carry the heavy wattage that your amp puts out, so getting them confused is a bad idea.

Using a instrument/patch cable to hook your amp to a speaker cabinet could, in time, burn out your output transformer and/or your speakers. I don't think anybody wants that.

When you say patch cables, I think about the smaller length cables that hook up your pedals to each other and the amp. Those are all instrument cables, just shorter (or longer in the case of running to and from your FX Loop).

I would not recommend he use the cable that came with his purchase as a speaker cable unless he can verify that it is, in fact, a speaker cable. A lot of the cheaper ones don't have any writing on them to distinguish what they are. I guess he could hook the cable to the input of the amp and then put a cell phone next to it and see if the amp picks up a bunch of RF data pulses or not. Speaker cables are unshielded.

Cables 101: Instrument vs. Speaker Cables

Difference Between Speaker Cable & Instrument Cable? « Real Time Audio

Please reference the second link and read the bottom.

In any case, the footswitch uses a standard instrument/patch cable because the footswitch is sending a digital signal to the amp to tell it which button was just pushed. That's why you can program what the footswitch does and why you don't need some special 10-wire cable to do it. It sends the signal as a serial input code, similar to the way modern SATA hard drives send data (as opposed to the old Parallel-ATA interface that had 38 data wires, the 39th-wire being the Cable Select signal wire). That kind of signal is not amplified, so you'd need an instrument cable. I can pull the one out of my JVM410 box and do a demonstration via YouTube if you like, although I'm not that good at video editing.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
UPDATE 3: I got my replacement Marshall in the box. And since there is no record on the Internet, or an unboxing of any sort, I made one.

410h - Album on Imgur

Enjoy.
Question: did the amp arrive with the tubes installed, or were they individually packaged? If the tubes came installed, I'd suggest making sure they're seated properly in their base and check for any possible damage to the tubes that may have occurred in transit. It looks like your JVM made it through the trip well, so hopefully all is going well for you.

Yeah, I also got three cables with mine, too, though I only ever used the really long one to connect the footswitch (I never actually used the other two. Sometimes I'll use the footswitch, but most of the time I don't though it still works very well.

Your footswitch looks different from mine, but I like yours more. I particularly like that strip of metal covering all six switches-very nice touch. Still, the footswitch has proven to be very reliable in my experiences.

Looking at your footswitch got me thinking about how the JVM footswitch has seven LEDs, yet only six footswitches: I'm wondering why Marshall didn't just add another switch instead of making us choose which function to sacrifice on the footswitch. I'm sure Santiago answered this question somewhere, but I can't recall.

Your 410H looks great. Hope you enjoy yours much. The 410H is a seriously bad-a$$ amp.

Cmasc966

Reaction score

I got a jvm 410h in November and in the box it came with the foot switch, a 12 ft cord for the foot switch, a speaker cable, warranty card and manual. The cab I bought came with a speaker cable as well.

Cmasc966

Reaction score
I asked the exact same question before I bought mine and the consensus was that it may or may not come with a speaker cable depending on who you buy it from, I was told places like guitar center doesn't supply the cable it came with so you can buy a speaker cable through them. In Oder for them to do that they have to open the box and take it out as everything should be sealed in. I called out of curiosity and a salesman told me it does not come with a speaker cable so that confirms they do so or at least that one store does.

BeardedRetroGuy

Reaction score
I asked the exact same question before I bought mine and the consensus was that it may or may not come with a speaker cable depending on who you buy it from, I was told places like guitar center doesn't supply the cable it came with so you can buy a speaker cable through them. In Oder for them to do that they have to open the box and take it out as everything should be sealed in. I called out of curiosity and a salesman told me it does not come with a speaker cable so that confirms they do so or at least that one store does.

Yeah, Guitar Center is known for their ****ty store habits - like stealing the cables out of them and throwing them into a drawer so they can put a $19.99 price tag on that very cable you were supposed to get FOR FREE with the amp/cab purchase. They're assholes and I won't buy an amp or cab from them ever again for that very reason.