Marshall avt150

• Thread starter Jchris65
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jchris65

Reaction score
I have two half stacks of these, I know that they are low end but all I can afford. I can't get a decent metal sound, I use a dimarzio super distortion pickup and a boss od 1.Tried a metal zone, and a grunge. Nothing sounds good. Any suggestions

PelliX

Reaction score
:welcome: !

If you're lucky you can find one used pretty cheap. It does metal tones and has an INSANE amount of gain on tap. Just insane. You could make a weak piezo in an acoustic sound like a hot humbucker through a dimed MESA...

1707220520818.png

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Hi @Jchris65 and welcome to the MF :welcome:

The Mk III Valvestate AVT should get you there on its own!
So I'm scratching my head there a little :scratch:

Hopefully not teaching you to suck eggs, but going through the pedals you already have.

Never used a 'Grunge' pedal, so I'll leave that out.

The OD1 should be used out front to boost the guitar signal.
It can be used on a clean channel for a crunchy tone through to a distortion tone.
Or use it on a high gain channel to push the gain over the edge.

The Metal Zone MT-2 can be used out front on a clean channel.
But I use mine to best effect as a preamp.
Plug the guitar into the MT-2, then plug the MT-2 output into the AVT FX Return (with nothing in the FX Send).
This will bypass the AVT preamps and make the MT-2 the sole preamp.

If you have two of the AVT amps, why not try stereo once you've sorted the metal tone.
I can highly recommend a TC Electronic Mimiq Doubler after the OD-1, to then feed both AVT inputs.
Or use one after the MT-2 to feed both FX Returns.
It modulates signal timing, pitch, & attack to make between 1 and 3 extra guitar signals from your original.
So, that's one either side, either side and one in the middle, or two either side.
The separation it gives a stereo 2-amp setup is fantastic.
Just don't get the cheaper MONO version. It's a waste of time (based effects).

I use all these pedals in those configurations with my Mk II Valvestate VS65R.
But strictly speaking, my OD-1 is actually an OD-20, set to OD-1.
My setup has an LS-2 Line Selector to switch between the OD-20 & VS65R preamp, and the MT-2 as preamp.
The stereo TBE section (with Mimiq 1st) then feeds to the FX returns of the VS65R and my DSL40CR.
Once you've tried stereo, you'll never go......(something rhyming with stereo!)

20210404_161744-2000.jpg

Last edited:

dsn716

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
More than a handful of good people here that can help with just about any questions or issues you may have.
You say you can’t get a decent metal sound out of an ATV150. What in particular about the tone you are getting do you not like? Is there a specific tone you are trying to re-create?
A little bit more information will significantly increase the number of helpful responses you receive.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you saying the amp doesn’t have enough gain,… or tha it just doesn’t sound good to you?

I’ve owned an Avt20 for almost 25 years now, and it has gobs of gain on tap, more than I would ever use, and the amp sounds pretty darn good for what it is.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you tried putting the metal zone in the loop?