Marshall Code 50 Amp? Are simulations accurate?

Does the Code series of Marshall amps produce accurate simulations. Is this amp fun to use?

• Total voters

Mrmadd

Reaction score
The Marshall is definitly an interesting sounding amp. I have listened to all the preprogrammed patches and found most to be enjoyable. As for applications of this amp, I think it is good for very small venues or practice and studio recording. I don't think you are battling a live drum set with a 50.
I have tried several modeling amps and this one is certainly different than ones I have tried in the past.
Does this amp really emmulate the historic Marshall sounds and Marshall heads it is programmed to.
Since I have never owned some the most sought after Marshall classics, I have no real point of refference.

I am sure the Marshall crowd here can weigh in on this!
Thanks guys.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Marshall is definitly an interesting sounding amp. I have listened to all the preprogrammed patches and found most to be enjoyable. As for applications of this amp, I think it is good for very small venues or practice and studio recording. I don't think you are battling a live drum set with a 50.
I have tried several modeling amps and this one is certainly different than ones I have tried in the past.
Does this amp really emmulate the historic Marshall sounds and Marshall heads it is programmed to.
Since I have never owned some the most sought after Marshall classics, I have no real point of refference.

I am sure the Marshall crowd here can weigh in on this!
Thanks guys.

Well, I have a 100H and a 25C, and I DON'T have a plexi, JTM, JVM, JCM, silver jub, Bluesbreaker, Vox or Fender (I do have a DSL).
So I can't really tell if the modeling is accurate, but to weigh in on the 2nd part of your poll question, HELL YES! these things are fun to use.
I completely ignored the ridiculously stupid presets and all the junk patches on my.marshall.
I started from scratch and made 30 presets with the pre/power/cab combinations to go with the 4 button FS.
I programmed my presets to have a little reverb and switchable Gov'nor, chorus and echo.
I run the 100H through an old 7" tablet and it's like a touchscreen control panel for the amp.
And like I've said before, It's also a kick ass Bluetooth speaker.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
It gets you in the ballpark, which is close enough...

If you play them side-by-side, in an A/B, they won't sound that accurate, but, if you play 2 amp's side-by-side, in the same A/B, they probably won't sound the same, but close enough...

The way I see it, & YMMV, but, I am not concerned about 100% accuracy. More so, I'm looking for sounds that inspire & that I can get a certain something out, when playing.

If you like it & are playing your thing & getting out of it, what you want, then it really doesn't matter if it sounds like Plexi ser# 001719.

I think people can limit themselves, by limiting their quest to a limited sound. What would happen, if you got a better sound than that illustrious plexi you're looking to comp? Would you rock it, or say, that it's not good, because it doesn't sound like that other sound anymore?

panoma

Reaction score
Well, I have a 100H and a 25C, and I DON'T have a plexi, JTM, JVM, JCM, silver jub, Bluesbreaker, Vox or Fender (I do have a DSL).
So I can't really tell if the modeling is accurate, but to weigh in on the 2nd part of your poll question, HELL YES! these things are fun to use.
I completely ignored the ridiculously stupid presets and all the junk patches on my.marshall.
I started from scratch and made 30 presets with the pre/power/cab combinations to go with the 4 button FS.
I programmed my presets to have a little reverb and switchable Gov'nor, chorus and echo.
I run the 100H through an old 7" tablet and it's like a touchscreen control panel for the amp.
And like I've said before, It's also a kick ass Bluetooth speaker.

I have a CODE100H and I would love to know which of your pre/power/cab combinations (and relative EQ) perform best in your opinion. I have a Gibson replica and play AC/DC, Iron Maiden and also 80s hair metal and I am stuck with the JCM800 model with a bit of delay/reverb. But I have never owned a Marshall tube amp to compare.....

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a CODE100H and I would love to know which of your pre/power/cab combinations (and relative EQ) perform best in your opinion. I have a Gibson replica and play AC/DC, Iron Maiden and also 80s hair metal and I am stuck with the JCM800 model with a bit of delay/reverb. But I have never owned a Marshall tube amp to compare.....

:welcome: Welcome to the forum.
I have all my 30 presets pretty much set at a common baseline with EQs at noon and volume/gain/gate set as clean as possible.
This gives me a neutral as possible starting point from each amp/cab combination.
I don't try to find a tone match for a specific artist/title (AC/DC, Iron Maiden and also 80s hair metal), so I'm not sure if I can help with saying what setting will work for you.
Start with finding out about the equipment was used on the tone your going for. (i.e. I don't think AC/DC used a JCM800)
And I've shared this before a few times, get the CODE Editor for PC (marshallcode.tools) and a USB cable to connect to the amp.
You can see all the setting for any preset all on one screen, change what you want, hit save on the amp.

Msharky67

Reaction score
I had a 25c. It was OK but sounded like a toy. Its like they designed it 20 years ago and released it yesterday. Kind of embarrassing for Marshall. I sold mine and bought a NUX MG300 and a Boss Katana 50MKII! Never looking back!

kustombob

Reaction score
I love my 50v code. Its sound good. I also own many real Marshall over the years. I run my 50code though a 1960 cab' the stock speaker is not all that great. But though better speaker it get some nice sounds and decent effects. For the money a great deal. I also use a 100 dsl head though a old 1960 cab with greenbacks.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
General opinion is that the Boss Katana range are better despite not having identifiable 'amp' simulations.
The Mk II versions are even better, and only slightly more expensive than the equivalent CODE amps.
If you can afford it, the Artist models are rather pricey, but get great reviews.
Some say Mk II Artist is more 'Marshally' than the Marshall CODE.
Plus, if you get another 100W Mk II Katana to go with an Artist, there is an 'Expanded Stereo' link option.

So, if you can live without the 'named' simulations (that you cannot personally authenticate as 'correct' anyhow)
get the Katana (Artist Mk II).

P.s. @Msharky67, if you sold the CODE and bought a Katana, you really should update your (nearly impossible to read) signature!

Last edited:

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
While my Code sounded OK, it was always a bit boxy.
Fun to use? Not really, not when compared to the Katana.
Every single sound essentially has to be on a preset. Where the knobs sit on the display may be irrelevant to whatever preset is called up. So IF YOU WANT TO CHANGE SOME SETTINGS ON THE FLY, ypu have to use the LCD to see where each knob is at amd save that as a preset if you want to come back to that setting.

Katana
Has a Panel setting which means you use the panel controls like any other amp. Pick a model, like Crunch or OD, set gain etc as you like. Use it like any amp. Change the gain on the fly. Next song needs cleaner tones, switch to Crunch and redice gain. Done.
Then I use my presets ONLY for modes I may want to change mid song. If song goes from clean to dirty, I have clean or acoustic as a preset. Then I switch back to panel amd play like normal. Solos are a preset with higher volume amd a bit more drive.
Play like any other amp, switch to a preset for ckean or solo. Simple, no LCD, less models but who really needs like 100?
Also can all be set amd saved amd tweaked on computer.

I ditched my Code 50 amd never looked back.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Code 25. I also either own or have owned in the past, most classic Marshall valve amps.
You have to understand Marshall's marketing isn't to give you the bob on tone of the amp that's being modelled. Just close enough to do it justice.
These amps are a fraction of the cost of their celebrated brethren.
Having said that they DO sound very good for what they are. I would rather play the Plexi sim on the Code at low volume than try and get an actual plexi to sound good at the same volume.

panoma

Reaction score
:welcome: Welcome to the forum.
I have all my 30 presets pretty much set at a common baseline with EQs at noon and volume/gain/gate set as clean as possible.
This gives me a neutral as possible starting point from each amp/cab combination.
I don't try to find a tone match for a specific artist/title (AC/DC, Iron Maiden and also 80s hair metal), so I'm not sure if I can help with saying what setting will work for you.
Start with finding out about the equipment was used on the tone your going for. (i.e. I don't think AC/DC used a JCM800)
And I've shared this before a few times, get the CODE Editor for PC (marshallcode.tools) and a USB cable to connect to the amp.
You can see all the setting for any preset all on one screen, change what you want, hit save on the amp.
Thank you very much. I will try starting from scratch. Of course for AC/DC I first tried the Plexi sim but I haven't been able yet to find a proper setting. I think I need some time experimenting.... :) before probably moving in the near future to a real tube Marshall , SC20C most likely... but we'll see...

Mrmadd

Reaction score
Never considered a Katana because other Roland amp products always sounded aweful to me. They make great keyboards, etc.
I bought the CODE 50 and am pleased with the size and sound. Although it can sound a bit boxey on some patches.
I can see where the CODE 25 is just too small for the sound tones it is supposed to deliver.

Great for late night practice, plenty of good tone at low volumes. You don't need pile of pedals to make it sound good.
Also, straight in to the recorder gets you a nice clean signal to record with.
Recordings sound very good line in, whatever tone you dial up.
I find rifling through the patches, some good, some great, some not what I like.
Since I never had several of the classic Marshall amps that the CODE represents, it is fun to hear a simulation of what they are supposed to sound like.
My DSLs are just that, DSLs, and the same with the rest of the pile of Marshalls sitting here.

I would like to add an SC20 or an SV20 to my pile, but that may take some doing.

suzook

Reaction score
Code25 here, and the stock patches sound horrendous. Take a few mins to adjust them, and they then sound really good. The app on a phone makes things really easy too. Not really sure wtf people are expecting from a cheap amp. I think it's a bargain, knowing it's just a practice/bedroom amp.

Last edited:

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
I really liked the CODE when it came out, but I've admittedly soured on it over the years. I only keep mine around in case my daughter wants it someday. There are a couple of models that sound pretty good (like American Crunch), but I get much better tone out of my tube amps at all volume levels. Funny thing about the CODE, is it's the only amp I've ever had that sounds better the lower I have the volume.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Code25 here, and the stock patches sound horrendous. Take a few mins to adjust them, and they then sound really good. The app on a phone makes things really easy too. Not really sure wtf people are expecting from a cheap amp. I think it's a bargain, knowing it's just a practice/bedroom amp.
Welcome to the forum :cheers:

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much. I will try starting from scratch. Of course for AC/DC I first tried the Plexi sim but I haven't been able yet to find a proper setting. I think I need some time experimenting.... :) before probably moving in the near future to a real tube Marshall , SC20C most likely... but we'll see...
:welcome:
To The Forum
I have zero experience with the Code line of amps sorry, but it sounds like you are on the right path.
Cheers
Mitch