Marshall Code " Patch " Sharing ( Longhand For Now )

• Thread starter mazzefr
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sean95m

Reaction score
Since we are on the footswitch subject....can anyone tell me if the actual Marshall Code footswitch changes patches fast or would it be tough to go immediately to a lead break and back again without much of a transition?
I have the footswitch. It's pretty fast when switching channels. If you have it in preset mode there is just a slight delay but if you have it in switch mode it's instant.

Reactions: TKB

Antmax

Reaction score
I was thinking of something more in line with this. Since you could pass the Volume and perhaps other settings might work with an expression pedal. Or one of the various bluetooth ones that have emerged with the recent popularity of software modeling.

Something like this affordable Behringer one for $150

FCB1010-large.jpg

Fern

Reaction score
How cool would it be for Marshall to take their Code series amps to renown guitarists worldwide and ask them to plug in and connect to the Gateway app and create their sound while posting this experience as a video on their site. I know...asking too much but it would have a ton of views. Kinda "What would Slash do if all he had was a guitar, a Code and a Gateway?"

jodoalien

Reaction score
By any chance any of you using the Zoom g3 or similar in front of the code? I'm trying to get good distortion but I have not nailed it. couple of nice cleans with the Fender and JVM simulation,so I'm thinking into using just the natural pre amp and handle all of the sound coloring from the G3. Any tips?
Yup, I'm using a G3X in front of mine and not really feeling it with the distortion. I find when using anything higher gain like the fuzz face or muff it gets over saturated and very muddy. I have found a bit of fun using the pedal to control input volume. Putting a booster in front of a clean has worked nicely for getting a bit more crunch.

hcelizondo

Reaction score
Yup, I'm using a G3X in front of mine and not really feeling it with the distortion. I find when using anything higher gain like the fuzz face or muff it gets over saturated and very muddy. I have found a bit of fun using the pedal to control input volume. Putting a booster in front of a clean has worked nicely for getting a bit more crunch.

I'll try using a booster as you are doing to see how it works. Which pre-amp are you using on the code? as I said was trying to get the clean tone from it and basically just using the G3X as a stomp box. For power amp I find myself using the classic 100W or the vintage 30W most of the time and cabinet usually any of the 2 1x12...

jodoalien

Reaction score
I'll try using a booster as you are doing to see how it works. Which pre-amp are you using on the code? as I said was trying to get the clean tone from it and basically just using the G3X as a stomp box. For power amp I find myself using the classic 100W or the vintage 30W most of the time and cabinet usually any of the 2 1x12...
Any of the cleans with enough volume can really be brought up to a crunch. The one i've been using the most is the american clean pre-amp.

Jalex

Reaction score
I own a JCM800 4210 combo from 84' and a CODE 25.
The 4210 has a G12M-70 speaker and is a dual channel JCM800 2205 with spring reverb basically.

I made 2 patches for the code - one for each channel - using a splitter and having them both side by side.
I though i share them with you.
Turn the master to a healthy volume...
If any of you has such an amp maybe share your thoughts

clean
---
gain 0.2
bass 9.3
middle 5.0
treble 6.8

jcm 800
gate 0.0

classic marshall 100w
presence 1.5
resonance 10.0

cab
1974cx

fx
reverb
spring
decay 10 pre 6 tone 6 level 5.5

boost
---
gain 8.2
bass 6.2
middle 2.6
treble 6.8

jcm800
gate 0.0

classic marshall 100w
presence 3.6
resonance 2.3

cab
1974cx

TKB

Reaction score
This is gold Jalex. Thank you! I owned a JCM2000 DSL 50 at one time and made an "80's Rock" preset based on what I remember. It's my favorite preset although I wish I could have done an A/B test like you did but the Code wasn't out until after I sold it for financial reasons.

Jeremy Blackwell

Reaction score
James, it occurred to me there may be some people who don't have Excel or their Excel will not load xlsx files so I created a pdf of your document hope you don't mind - I'm happy if you want to download it and re-install it with your entry - let me know and i'll remove it from my message if that's what you do. I used PDF creator to create it and I have set the viewing options on the pdf to 106% and split pages - as the pages are split I doubled up on the headers so it shows on both pages.

I'm still going though the original and checking it against factory - the following are not factory as my reset amp displays.

Preset 0 chorus speed of 3.5 should be 3.3
Preset 3 trem skew of o (oh) should be 0 (zero)
Preset 4 Pedal Distortion Level of 6 should be 5
Preset 8 Pedal Distortion Level of 7.7 should be 7

I've got as far as 22, its slow going. Most people probably don't care how close it is to factory.

Try using it in Google Sheets. It's free.

AJU

Reaction score
Try using it in Google Sheets. It's free.
Thanks, Jeremy. I guess it will work in google ...

I personally had excel, have done for years and it creates PDF's which is a much faster way to view, I just thought it might help others.

I'm still wading through the settings to check if they are all correct. Its very time consuming ;-)

I'm up to 79 I think so not much further to go, there are 4 errors since the last set i'll finish the checking before I deliver the relevant errors/changes.

Wayne Schwisow

Reaction score
Take a look at this video it seems to cover all the bases-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9jUD0Tp3ew
I agree. Check out the video. If you switch between different amps and preamps and cabinets, it takes a moment to load new settings. But if you have Plexi and Classic Marshall 100, and then switch between FX with the same amp and preamp there doesn't seem to be a delay.

Wayne Schwisow

Reaction score
Not sure if this will help anybody out, but I took the factory presets list and added 3 columns to the front of it. One for clean, one for crunch and one for OD. I then indicated which preset category each fell into. I did this because I wanted to be able to quickly go to a specific "type" of preset and compare tones. Now I can easily scan for "crunch" presets to compare. Hope it helps others.

Attachments

• code patches - channel.pdf
    192.9 KB · Views: 49

Wayne Schwisow

Reaction score
I know Marshall is planning on releasing some sort of tone sharing spot for users to share their settings (read that somewhere, can't remember where) but until then can anyone recommend me sites where i can find rig rundowns and tone setting for well know guitarists just so i can have a base to work on something remotely close to it?
I assume you've found this already, but just in case...
https://marshallcode.tools

ssolo8

Reaction score
I got tired of looking for a list of the presets-so I decided to do my own, very much a work in progress-I'm only really interested in a good base tone, so the FX needs some work ( it wont fit on a page ) , 71 and 72 are my overwritten ones, 72 isnt there because the app has frozen again so i couldnt read the settings--its a start though and it might help people decide how to organise stuff-print it out and scribble all over it.
cheers guys
andy k

edited to include final version-4
God Bless you for all this work you have done for us!! Your day will be 36% smoother for your troubles! Thanks!

Reactions: AJU

AJU

Reaction score
Not sure if this will help anybody out, but I took the factory presets list and added 3 columns to the front of it. One for clean, one for crunch and one for OD. I then indicated which preset category each fell into. I did this because I wanted to be able to quickly go to a specific "type" of preset and compare tones. Now I can easily scan for "crunch" presets to compare. Hope it helps others.
Nice one Wayne, I like that idea and the explanations table at the top I like that too, I'm sure @mazzefr will notice this and put a link at the front to this.

I'm still wading through Andy's original list (I got sidetracked by wifey and a paint brush), there are some discrepancies detailed earlier in this thread though did you pick them up in your list?. I'm sure everyone is aware that patches 71/72 marked "X" are not factory settings.

Nice ideas though, thanks.

I'll try and pick up the proofing again soon...

stw500

Reaction score
Some days ago I could put the Marshall AS100D and the code 50 side to side. I know one is a acoustic amp and one for electric but I tried to get the code 50 sound similar to the as100d but without good result. The As100D sounded much more warmer than the code no matter which setup I tried. So does anyone have a good setup/patch for sounding the code really warm?

Antmax

Reaction score
Some days ago I could put the Marshall AS100D and the code 50 side to side. I know one is a acoustic amp and one for electric but I tried to get the code 50 sound similar to the as100d but without good result. The As100D sounded much more warmer than the code no matter which setup I tried. So does anyone have a good setup/patch for sounding the code really warm?

What kind of pick are you using. That can make a huge difference to the sound of your guitar. More than changing pickups.

I mostly use JazzIII's. The standard red one is kind of middle of the road general purpose. A Jazz III made from Ultex (the semi opaque yellowish ones) produce a warmer sound taking away some of the highs they can sound pretty smooth. The prime tone Jazz III's are quite bright and punchy with a lot of detail but can sound a bit brittle. Tortex sounds in between the standard red and the Ultex.

It might be worth getting some pick variety packs like the Dunlop ones to see what kinds of tone variations you can get with your particular guitar and pickups.

stw500

Reaction score
Thx for the answer. But when i tried both amps i used the same pick, so the sound produced from the guitar was the same. But if there is no other way to sound the code warmer (e.g. like the as100d) i will try using another pick.