Marshall DSL100...again!

• Thread starter (war)thrash5150
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

(war)thrash5150

Reaction score
A long while back I traded off my DSL100 and missed that tone I was getting from it so I got that same exact amp back with a trade for my 5150. DONE! As for boosting I have the danelectro Transparent OD but I'm thinking about trying a DS-1...glad to be back in EL34 territory.

tonefreak

Reaction score
WOOHOO!

I wonder if the 6100 camp has recruited anybody new lately...

I KNOW WE HAVE! lol +1 for the DSL'ers

longfxukxnhair

Reaction score
WOOHOO!

I wonder if the 6100 camp has recruited anybody new lately...

I KNOW WE HAVE! lol +1 for the DSL'ers

But we know we cant compete with the number of members the DSL group has. You cant swing a dead cat without hitting a DSL. But there are also many who think the one channel (red? I cant remember which one sucked) is useless. Like I said before, look at the amount of DSL threads that are created because people are having problems vs the amount of people who own 6100 and have problems. Like I said month(s) ago there are more DSL's on the market than 6100's. Obviously there will be more reported problems. But if you take it in percentages you even the playing field. From what I have seen on this forum, there is a greater percentage of problems with DSL's than there are with 6100's. And the DSL is younger than the 6100. You would think when you factor that in the 6100 would have (at least) as many problems percentage wise. But as we can all see by the threads that isnt the case.

tonyd927

Reaction score
I would have stuck with the 5150
it would last longer in terms of dependability and construction.
I toured with one for years and I deeply regret trading it for a dsl.

the dsl series sums up quantity over quality.

IbanezMark

Reaction score
I just picked up an MXR Distortion + to use as a boost for my DSL. I'll let you guys know how it works after tomorrow night

tonefreak

Reaction score
But we know we cant compete with the number of members the DSL group has. You cant swing a dead cat without hitting a DSL. But there are also many who think the one channel (red? I cant remember which one sucked) is useless. Like I said before, look at the amount of DSL threads that are created because people are having problems vs the amount of people who own 6100 and have problems. Like I said month(s) ago there are more DSL's on the market than 6100's. Obviously there will be more reported problems. But if you take it in percentages you even the playing field. From what I have seen on this forum, there is a greater percentage of problems with DSL's than there are with 6100's. And the DSL is younger than the 6100. You would think when you factor that in the 6100 would have (at least) as many problems percentage wise. But as we can all see by the threads that isnt the case.

I agree. OD 2 is useless. so you leave it on green (crunch) or red (OD1) with a boost, and it sounds waaay better.

I think the main thing is most of the DSL users are new to Marshall (like me) (some aren't. like Twin and Buggs), or new to tube amps in general (not like me), and end up blowing them up. then they learn about the 6100, and go there cause they didn't give their DSL a chance.

@Ibanezmark- Let me know how it works!

longfxukxnhair

Reaction score
I agree. OD 2 is useless. so you leave it on green (crunch) or red (OD1) with a boost, and it sounds waaay better.

I think the main thing is most of the DSL users are new to Marshall (like me) (some aren't. like Twin and Buggs), or new to tube amps in general (not like me), and end up blowing them up. then they learn about the 6100, and go there cause they didn't give their DSL a chance.

Interesting statement Tone. I dont recall one member saying there is a useless channel on the 6100. I hear a bunch of DSL users say that. I know it to be true having owned one myself.

surface54

Reaction score
i think alot of DSL users have in the back of there mind the DSL is good, alot of stuff can be done with it with various pedals and boosts. if there was a world wide shortage of all amps and they werent to be made anymore everyone would hold there own amps to higher standards, its that we can all buy and trade so easy now that our own amps start to seem a distant memory faster than before, i went through a trading spell last year thankfully its over. i force myself all the time to stop going nuts over bigger and better amps, this DSL is awesome at low and high volumes, lead channel for solos is just wicked with a boost, cleans are so big its amazing, and the crunch takes a healthy boost and blasts the crap out of my cab with fullness. but really what more do i need? a 5-20% increase in tone that really only i hear? not to mention 25-50% increase in price for anything besides these DSLs, im glad they were cheap and everywhere to be had!

6StringMoFo

Reaction score

I don't understand this misconception with OD2 being bad.

All you need to do is EQ the green the way u like then switch to "workable Gain" (5-6 for me) setting on the OD2.

This is OD2

I've noticed the EQ'ing for Green Crunch and Red Lead 2 are almost identical. I've stopped using lead 1 when I play live for tone consistency.

You have to turn it up to get the full effect since my amp was behind me to the left in the corner, it was a tragically hip song so I couldn't noodle too much.

I'm actually pretty happy with my lead tone. It's still real Marshall but nice and creamy Lead sounds!! My reverb was actually pretty low, the room acoustics we're very fun.

Not sure if I'm going to mod it..BTW

The only pedal I used was a MXR Line Boost thru the effects loop for Soloing
:headbanger::headbanger:
100% DSL

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHYohZ8XsUI]YouTube - solo.avi[/ame]

Then some more switching from Green to Red

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9uUvs3FY5I]YouTube - Feel Like Making Love - Covered by Remedy[/ame]

Flat out Red (My other guitar player uses a crate) :(

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4QdkJp_twM]YouTube - Trooper Raise A Little Hell - (Cover) By Remedy[/ame]