Marshall DSL100 and DSL40. What Marshall amp tones are Classic Gain Crunch and Ultra Gain OD2 not in the DSL20?

• Thread starter Maxbrothman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
DSL100 and 40 have two buttons the DSL20 does not have.

1. Clean/Crunch on the Classic Gain channel
2. OD1/OD2 on the Ultra Gain channel.

I assume on the DSL that since there is no button, the Classic Gain channel is on Clean, and the Ultra Gain channel is on OD1.

So that leaves out Crunch on the Classic Gain channel and OD2 on the Ultra Gain channel.

Hence the title question. What amp tones are these modes going to bring? JCM? Plexi? Jubilee? The manual says they are different tones but nothing more.

dslquestion.jpg

jmh276

Reaction score
I have the DSL40CR. I dont think they mimic specific amps, but quite a few people seem to think that the crunch channel is close to a JCM800. I also have the SC20 and disagree -the DSL Crunch is a bit dull/bassy and doesnt have any bite (to my ears at least). The OD2 is high gain but I find it gets muddy very quickly, so prefer to use the OD1 with a pedal for heavier stuff. I also think the Crunch channel works better at lower gain settings with a pedal - Boss SD1 or a Tubescreamer tightens things ups and add a bit of brightness/bite.

konrad gibson

Reaction score
I got a DSL40 CR in 2019
Clean Channel great Marshall clean
Crunch/Classic gain: blues tone or classic rock sounds e.g. Bad Company
OD 1 high gain, but with lots of highness
OD 2 my favorite Lead Channel but the gain set to nine o´clock, very fat sounding like Gary Moore or Joe Bonamassa and like all soundmodes it reacts and cleans up perfectly with guitar´s volume knob.

Antti Heikkinen

Reaction score
What I did was have the 1959 preamp wired as it is in 2203. I mean, that's the difference between them. Much better. The plexi is fine when ran so hot the power stage smoothes it out, but hard and fizzy otherwise. Simple mod.