Marshall factory tour - ‘Father of Loud Day’

• Thread starter RowbiTone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RowbiTone

Reaction score
Hi all,

Not a regular poster, but a frequent lurker 😂

I don’t live far from the Marshall factory and lucked into a factory tour today in honour of the 10th anniversary of Jim Marshall’s death.

We got to go around parts of the factory that aren’t usually on the standard tour, etc.

It was great, and free!!! Which is awesome

Although there is one thing that still annoys me…. Even since my last tour there in 2015….
That’s the seemingly real (looks to have the real transformers and tubes in it so not a stage fake) Zakk Wylde v2 head… the one that never went into production. Sure, it’s just a 2203X (got one of those bad boys), but it looks super cool! I wish I could buy it 😂😂

I spoke to the chap in charge of sheet metal production and engineering and the design store manager about this (both top blokes!!!), and the engineering guy said he personally made those grilles as well as the small number of speaker cab grilles for Dave Mustaines sig cabs (same diamond shape grille but the diamond punch outs were 90 degrees rotated)…. But alas they don’t have any spares and it would be too costly to make a small run unless it’s for an actual product… so I’m outta luck…

But I thought about having a small metal shop make me some up, if I can work some magic with a CAD design… Anyone else interested in one if I make it happen? (FYI it would just be the grille and not the Marshall logo).

Check out the picture I took while on the tour - attached

Cheers
Rowbi

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Pretty cool day you had man! Congrats 👏

I never checked out the Zakk Wylde JCM800 but damn.... Why didn't Marshall release these? These are wicked cool and I'm not even a ZW fan tbh.

Attachments

• uu3sgh3ptzqnklhszjzt.jpg
    uu3sgh3ptzqnklhszjzt.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 21

mmrizio

Reaction score
The logo could be just a Mode4 logo.
The grille: Not complicated to reverse engineer the dimensions from a generic head-shell and the photo. It is a really simple repetitive pattern. If you create the CAD drawing you can send it for laser-cutting from a metal sheet of your choice in your area.
They may charge you a bit more for the many holes; quite a bit of cutting to be done. A one-off should not be an issue.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where’s the pic?