MARSHALL HANWELL 50th ANNIV. SPEAKER

• Thread starter oweyes
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

oweyes

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience of repairing these? I ask, since I have been informed there is no available schematic (although I have yet to contact the ex Zound Ind. in Sweden, who designed and manufactured these units). My problem is no sound output, but with SMD technology, you need a schematic to trace the signal through. Quite frankly I am amazeed that this (being a 50th Anniv. model) does not exist within the Marshall empire. If anyone in the forum knows of one, please, please let me know how to go about getting it. Thanks for listening.

RLW59

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

A sad fact of modern life is that many products aren't supported. If they fail during the warranty the manufacturer just replaces them (if discontinued but still under warranty they replace with a different model of equal or greater value). Labor costs are just too high when you have to pay someone for the repair.

If they fail after warranty they figure you got your money's worth and should just buy a new device from them.

Which sucks if you're a DIY'er or a freelancer trying to repair a customer's device. I wish you good luck but I wouldn't hold my breath.
--------------------
But if there's any chance at all for a schematic, you should repost in the "workbench" section of this forum. That's where the electronics techs hang out.

This section is for passive guitar/bass speaker cabs (and the speakers that go into them). We deal in pictographic wiring diagrams and struggle with understanding series vs parallel.

We don' need no steeenkin' schematics.

oweyes

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

A sad fact of modern life is that many products aren't supported. If they fail during the warranty the manufacturer just replaces them (if discontinued but still under warranty they replace with a different model of equal or greater value). Labor costs are just too high when you have to pay someone for the repair.

If they fail after warranty they figure you got your money's worth and should just buy a new device from them.

Which sucks if you're a DIY'er or a freelancer trying to repair a customer's device. I wish you good luck but I wouldn't hold my breath.
--------------------
But if there's any chance at all for a schematic, you should repost in the "workbench" section of this forum. That's where the electronics techs hang out.

This section is for passive guitar/bass speaker cabs (and the speakers that go into them). We deal in pictographic wiring diagrams and struggle with understanding series vs parallel.

We don' need no steeenkin' schematics.
Thanks for the "workbench" pointer, I'll do that.
What is a big shame,is when you read about the Hanwell 50th Anniv. and best of class and EXPENSIVE too, built just like the original Marshalls, yet they have chosen to not hold spares (the Wavecor speakers cost an arm and a leg) and not only, that the schematic does no longer exist - I find that hard to believe having held a trade acct. with them for too many years. If it were standard valve/transistor/point to point/NON-SMD PCB, I'd not have an issue, but SMD stuff needs a wizard to walk thro' a circuit with out schematic.
Thanks again for your honest reply.

RLW59

Reaction score
I don't know for a fact that the schematic isn't available. Just preparing you for that strong possibility.

Also just cynical speculation about the reason the schematic might not be available. Liability is a real issue in these modern days. If someone manages to electrocute themselves and a Marshall schematic is on their workbench, the surviving family might sue Marshall. They might feel to need to vet people before giving them a schematic.

Also possible there are novel circuit details that they don't want competitors to see. (Or embarrassing circuit details they don't want some youtuber to reveal.)

Very possible the schematics are available, but only to shops that are authorized to do Marshall repairs.
------------------
Cheaper to replace than repair is certainly a real reason why some schematics aren't available, but Zound/Marshall Group may have other reasons.

giblesp

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience of repairing these? I ask, since I have been informed there is no available schematic (although I have yet to contact the ex Zound Ind. in Sweden, who designed and manufactured these units). My problem is no sound output, but with SMD technology, you need a schematic to trace the signal through. Quite frankly I am amazeed that this (being a 50th Anniv. model) does not exist within the Marshall empire. If anyone in the forum knows of one, please, please let me know how to go about getting it. Thanks for listening.
Zound do consumer level products, and have nothing to do with the Marshall that exsisted in Hanwell, West London.
When its broken, you throw it away like a cheap Chinese product.

No disrespect, but your Zound speakers just bears the name and is nothing to do with British Marshall. The latter is something that was built to last for life, the former is a cheap, disposable consumer product. If you want something like that, I've found Creative speakers to do the job at a good price.