marshall haze 40 combo

• Thread starter tomguitar1963
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tomguitar1963

Reaction score
hi guys aint been here for a while but im back with my new amp heres a pic its a great amp for the money looks cool sounds even better .

Attachments

• DSC00011.jpg
    DSC00011.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 101

Fretburner

Reaction score
I picked one up today. Very cool little amp & sounds great! I can't wait to try it out with the band tomorrow night. Here's a few gut shots!

DSC01871.jpg

DSC01867.jpg

DSC01868.jpg

DSC01869.jpg

DSC01870.jpg

Gut shots would be very nice to see! :fingersx:

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Ouch. That's a lot of surface mount, DSP and specialized chips.
Tiny little filter caps.
Neither the PT or OT have bells on them.
The switches aren't sealed.
I actually heard one this week and thought that it sounded like a cardboard box :(

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Ouch. That's a lot of surface mount, DSP and specialized chips.
Tiny little filter caps.
Neither the PT or OT have bells on them.
The switches aren't sealed.
I actually heard one this week and thought that it sounded like a cardboard box :(

I was hoping that this would be an amp that the average tech could work on. It looks like that's not going to be the case. Why would such a simple amp need so much solid state?:hmm:

The build quality is such because of the price bracket it falls in. They aren't going to go all out on expensive transformers. And yes, the power filters are small.

JohnH

Reaction score
Im not suprised by the internal tech. Its designed using all the modern techniques for electronic production, which permit such devices to be built economicaly, and provide features that could only be dreamed of when the fisrt Marshalls were designed. Although its inspired by some of the classics, its built here in the 21st century.

Unfortunately, that may mean that Grandpa amp-tech cant always fix it at the corner shop when it goes wrong. Thats the way of it these days.

John

Fretburner

Reaction score
Hey John, Well said! Definitely not built like the older amps and I didn't expect it to be. We are in 2009 and Marshall had to bring something like this in it's lineup to compete with other manufactures at this price point. For $550.00 brand new out the door there is nothing that comes close to the wattage and features this amp has and I'm very satisfied. If I do have problems with it, no big deal for me it does have a warranty and I have other amps. Some guy's may knock but I don't think they are taking the time to tweak the amp and they expect it to sound like a hi gain killer. I hooked up my G-system pedal board
DSC01798.jpg

to control the channel switching and have my preset programs and it sounds great for a single 112 and I won't busting my balls carrying a half stack to play small clubs. LOL I've got a super clean, crunch and killer metal sound with the overdrive pushing the front of it when I need it.

Im not suprised by the internal tech. Its designed using all the modern techniques for electronic production, which permit such devices to be built economicaly, and provide features that could only be dreamed of when the fisrt Marshalls were designed. Although its inspired by some of the classics, its built here in the 21st century.

Unfortunately, that may mean that Grandpa amp-tech cant always fix it at the corner shop when it goes wrong. Thats the way of it these days.

John

Ken

Reaction score
Marshall reminds me a lot of Ferrari: steeped in mystique and always current with new technologies in the new products. But there are the customers who say the new cars/amps have no "passion" like the mechanical/low tech cars/amps of yesteryear. "I want carburetors and no IC chips"...

Well, go buy a 308 Ferrari instead of a 612, and get a Plexi instead of a Haze...! LOL I like both vintage and modern myself...two different approaches.

Ken

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Marshall reminds me a lot of Ferrari: steeped in mystique and always current with new technologies in the new products. But there are the customers who say the new cars/amps have no "passion" like the mechanical/low tech cars/amps of yesteryear. "I want carburetors and no IC chips"...

Well, go buy a 308 Ferrari instead of a 612, and get a Plexi instead of a Haze...! LOL I like both vintage and modern myself...two different approaches.

Ken

My point was that in the low wattage market, the Vox Night Train and Orange Tiny Terror are very affordable, sound amazing and they don't need to cheap out on parts like Marshall.

This is more of a features vs cost debate. They could have reduced the number of features and build in a little more quality/durability IMO.

Only time will tell how these things hold up.

Frankie

Reaction score
Holy crap! I was thinking about getting one, but that's pretty damn complex. I'm kinda turned off now.

Edit - No choke? WTF Marshall?

Ken

Reaction score
My point was that in the low wattage market, the Vox Night Train and Orange Tiny Terror are very affordable, sound amazing and they don't need to cheap out on parts like Marshall.

This is more of a features vs cost debate. They could have reduced the number of features and build in a little more quality/durability IMO.

Only time will tell how these things hold up.

I haven't played a Haze yet so I can't say about sound, but my point was a reaction to those pics!! I went "YIPE" when I saw all the chips, but then realized this is the 21st century and Marshall is using modern engineering. Albeit on the cheap side?

Ken

jamesm

Reaction score
Heres a little background on the internals of the Haze.

The surface mount components you see are all on one, small effects DSP, much like you would find in a delay or reverb pedal. From a servicing point of view, these rarely go wrong, but can be replace with a new plug in board, so should be no more complicated to replace than a valve.

Apart from that, there are only 2 more integrated circuits. These control the switching. The other black boxes you can see are relays, which switch the signals to change channels. These contain the same "stuff" as a switch on the front panel, but can be changed by the footswitch. Each of these is controlled by a transistor, but that is not in the signal path.

With the effects and loop switched off, the signal never goes near a lump of silicon.

Fretburner

Reaction score
Thanks for that info.

The surface mount components you see are all on one, small effects DSP, much like you would find in a delay or reverb pedal. From a servicing point of view, these rarely go wrong, but can be replace with a new plug in board, so should be no more complicated to replace than a valve.

Apart from that, there are only 2 more integrated circuits. These control the switching. The other black boxes you can see are relays, which switch the signals to change channels. These contain the same "stuff" as a switch on the front panel, but can be changed by the footswitch. Each of these is controlled by a transistor, but that is not in the signal path.

With the effects and loop switched off, the signal never goes near a lump of silicon.

jcmjmp

Reaction score

I see more than 1 SM device on there and DSP chips can become obsolete. Worst case, you yank that thing out.

Frankie

Reaction score
I haven't played a Haze yet so I can't say about sound, but my point was a reaction to those pics!! I went "YIPE" when I saw all the chips, but then realized this is the 21st century and Marshall is using modern engineering. Albeit on the cheap side?

Ken

You know, I'd normally be okay with that, but honestly they didn't need to make it that complicated, especially for a vintage-type sound like that amp produces. Look at the Vox AC30CC for example. It's modern, mass produced in China, and uses a PCB, but anybody could easily pick out the components on that board. I'm definitely not buying a Haze, that thing looks like it could catch fire!