marshall haze 40 combo

• Thread starter tomguitar1963
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CSSOFA

Reaction score
I just bought a Haze 40 used. The guy I bought it from demoed it for me and it sounded great. I made sure we tried all settings and volumes and no issues.

I played it for a few hours yesterday and it sounded great. I even recorded it. I turned it on the today, heard a pop and saw a whitish blue flash. I had no sound after that.

I checked the fuze and it is blown. I will go and get a new fuze tomorrow to try 1st. This is my 1st tube amp. Not a good start. I see the two EL 34 tubes still glow orange.

If the fuze doesn't fix the problem I should bring it to an experienced tech right?

I sure appreciate any direction or advice as to what the problem may be.

danielgoba84

Reaction score
I just bought a Haze 40 used. The guy I bought it from demoed it for me and it sounded great. I made sure we tried all settings and volumes and no issues.

I played it for a few hours yesterday and it sounded great. I even recorded it. I turned it on the today, heard a pop and saw a whitish blue flash. I had no sound after that.

I checked the fuze and it is blown. I will go and get a new fuze tomorrow to try 1st. This is my 1st tube amp. Not a good start. I see the two EL 34 tubes still glow orange.

If the fuze doesn't fix the problem I should bring it to an experienced tech right?

I sure appreciate any direction or advice as to what the problem may be.
It's exactly what happened to me... and as i beleive to many others too... what happened is that a tube got burnt... try turning the amp on in standby mode an see which tube doesn't heat normally, i mean , which tube doesn't glow like the others... and that, my friend, is your burnt tube... sad .. i know :(

CSSOFA

Reaction score
New fuses blew so I will try tubes tomorrow. Thanks for the help. I'll post new results.

CSSOFA

Reaction score
New tubes worked. I picked up Groove Tubes EL 34M (that's all they had at Guitar Center for a quick fix).

Wow. The Haze sounds much better than it did with the factory tubes. Cleaner, clearer and more powerful.

marshallrocks

Reaction score
had my haze 40 for about 8 months, love it. i had an issue with a blown cap but took it to a marhall service guy and fixed it for free. i gig and practice with it and it has been a great sounding reliable amp. somtimes i think that the bad rap comes from a certain snobish factor from the high end marshall users. for the money, i paid 500.00 for mine new, i think it is one of the best sounding 40 watt tube amps available.

Moose Coghill

Reaction score
Moose Hut Studio - Amherst, VA 24521 - USA
I've had mine for around 4 months... it's currently out for warranty work. It started developing the channel bleed. They are supposed to be doing the full cap/res upgrade, so hopefully that will be the end of worries (other than tubes and mods I have planned).

I'm very happy with the sounds it gets... although I use extension cabs - not the internal speaker. I also always bypass all the DSP stuff and only use the pure tube path. I picked it over a lot of amps that I tried out. I let my luthier play it, and now he wants one (he already has quite a few other amps).

There are certainly a number of QC issues with the Haze 40 - but nothing that can't be overcome. I'd say it's more than bang-for-the-buck. Not only is the OD channel pretty versatile - but it's got the best clean tone I've heard... period.

And yet I am GASing for an old JCM 800 4104 that I hope to acquire to A/B with the Haze for live play. ;)

danielgoba84

Reaction score
I need to fix mine completely!! as i don't live in the US (where i bought the amp) i can't take it to a store to be repaired.. i managed myself to fix some of the issues with the help of these forums, but i need the complete guide to fix the channel bleed among other problems .. does anyone know the exact procedure or replacement parts to fix all of these??

danielgoba84

Reaction score
Hi jamesm,

i've read that there some caps and resistors that should be changed in the amp, could you tell me what to replace and the exact names of the replacement parts?
i would really appreciate that info..
thanks in advance

Moose Coghill

Reaction score

jamesm

Reaction score
Just to add that the cap change is a warranty repair and I would suggest that route rather than doing the work yourself.

James

danielgoba84

Reaction score
Just to add that the cap change is a warranty repair and I would suggest that route rather than doing the work yourself.

James
I appreciate the suggestion .. and actually that's what i`d prefer, but there's no place i could take it to warranty .. since i bought this amp in the US and at this moment i am in Mexico... i've done many repairs before and exchanging parts is'nt difficult.. i just need to know what parts ...

Moose Lewis: i have already read a lot of info here and in many other places, but i search for the AVX or Vishay caps ... i just can't find them in their respective webpages.
I believe some of the people in these forums work as techicians doing these kind of repairs all the time.. and could tell me where to find these parts... or at least give me a clue about them...

thanks a lot to all who have taken the time to answer my noob questions.. and to all those who will answer them in the future... :p

Moose Coghill

Reaction score
FYI, jamesm - mine has been sitting at the authorized factory service representative's shop for over a month now awaiting the repairs...

Marshall USA (U.S. Music) has not yet sent him the authorization paperwork to allow him to proceed with the repairs and get paid; in spite of both he, the music store where I purchased the amp, and myself having contacted Marshall USA about it. They informed me originally that he was the authorized repair shop, and told me to send it to him through the store.

Somebody needs to get on the ball. :( I have been patient, but my fuse is simmering daily all the same. I am working on borrowed amps... although I am also working a deal on an '84 JCM 800 4104. After 35+ years, I may have just purchased my last new Marshall product. Grumph!

Maybe I need to start a new topic on this and document the ordeal in full detail.

Moose Coghill

Reaction score
Update: Kevin Drury at U.S. Music/Marshall USA reported back that the changeover happened so quickly that they have not been able to rectify all of the US repair centers, but was grateful for the information and would be expediting the paperwork for our local serviceman. JamesM also contacted me and asked if he could help.

So I expect things will get rolling on this now. It's good to see that folks on both ends are concerned about this. I do like some of the tonal characteristics of the Haze 40, so I have no plans to replace it - rather, I intend to ABY it with the JCM 800 I just scored for live play. ;)

light_n_roses

Reaction score
Hi all !

I have just brough an used marshall haze 40 and I have red here on the forum that this amps got a lot of problems like clean channel that becames distorted and occasional pop and blows up !!
Is there a list of fixes that need to be done on it ?!?

light_n_roses

Reaction score
I'm keeping to worry about this amp..I have red on internet that a lot of this amp blows up ! This is not very good...and it seems that this affected first production series...Sadly my haze is from 2009 so I think it's one of the first.
The bar code starts with 2009....

It seems that this amp soffers of blows, valve breaking and clean channel that becames distorted...I'm loocking for a series of mod to fix those !
Also I have start searching because I was interested in making the sound more vintage !

MKB

Reaction score
FWIW, I didn't use the AVX caps in my Haze 40 when performing the factory mods, but instead used SBC polypropylene Orange Drop caps, as I had a few available, and I figured they would fix the problem as they are lower leakage than the original polyesters. They do work very well, but did change the tone a bit (a tiny bit more smooth, not necessarily a good thing in a Marshall). The only problem is they are significantly larger than the original caps, and are harder to install.

Concerning the Haze 40 blowing up; I haven't heard of any problems like that except if tubes go bad. If you get the factory mod installed to stop the channel popping, and you have good quality tubes, you shouldn't have any concerns about the Haze 40. Mine has been solid as a rock, and I regularly gig it without a backup.

light_n_roses

Reaction score
FWIW, I didn't use the AVX caps in my Haze 40 when performing the factory mods, but instead used SBC polypropylene Orange Drop caps, as I had a few available, and I figured they would fix the problem as they are lower leakage than the original polyesters. They do work very well, but did change the tone a bit (a tiny bit more smooth, not necessarily a good thing in a Marshall). The only problem is they are significantly larger than the original caps, and are harder to install.

Concerning the Haze 40 blowing up; I haven't heard of any problems like that except if tubes go bad. If you get the factory mod installed to stop the channel popping, and you have good quality tubes, you shouldn't have any concerns about the Haze 40. Mine has been solid as a rock, and I regularly gig it without a backup.

Hi !

First thank you for your answear !! Well regarding the "blowing up" I have just red this in other topic on the forum and also around the internt, I have even red a post of a guy who was saying that every single haze in his store blow up after some minutes usage ( but I haven't acutally understood what they mean with blow up, I guess a tube but I don't know..).

regarding the capacitors modification I don't care at the moment about the popping, my will would be to obtain a more vintage tone from the amplifier, which, at the moment, it seems too modern to me ( but I have to do more test I haven't played it intensively ! ).
I have found this on the internet http://www.tonehunter.de/mods/mods-marshall-en.php but it seems very expensive to me !!

light_n_roses

Reaction score
I have test both the haze and my brother's jcm 2000 dsl 401 ( 40 watt all valve ) and I have too say that sadly the dsl sound better for my taste, it has a more vintage sound which a like more...
I hope to find some mod to make sound my haze more vintage !!