• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Marshall Jcm 800

• Thread starter danielNoble
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

danielNoble

Reaction score
Recently i just went into a shop and saw a used Marshall JCM 800, i played through it and decided to buy it, he said it was from 1985

i checked everything through and everything seems stock & original

scuffs here and there,

but im concerned about the serial number

the serial number starts with the letter "T" which iv read is from 1985

then there is a 5 digit number "28XX1"

sorry im just really concerned , as iv put my deposit on it but it hasnt arrived yet (which when it does ill be paying in cash up full"

does this match up what the guy said, and shows its genuine?

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
The one you're looking is either a 2205/2210 two channel JCM800 with reverbs.
Lots of PRO/CON regarding which is better, single or two channel JCM800.
But if I were buying one I'd rather buy an earlier JCM800 with Vertical inputs (2203/2204 single channel amp) as in this picture:
82_JCM800_HalfStack.JPG

IMO nothing beats the tone comes from a single channel JCM800/JMP.

danielNoble

Reaction score
well i think im going to buy the one iv put the deposit on.. as i fell in love with it instantly, i was just checking to see if it was genuine or not e.g matching the serial number.. as iv seen alot of different kinds of jcm 800`s

:)

Unknown3

Reaction score
The question was whether or not it was an aouthentic 80's JCM 800. I don't know anything about those numbers after but I'm quite sure it's a real '85-er. Enjoy the beast ;)

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
I never see a fake JCM800, clone might be.
But it would be a crime to find out that store selling a clone labeled as a JCM800.

Go for it!
These early models will beat the hell out any JCM800 reissue model.

And please post :photos: once you have it.
Congrats!
well i think im going to buy the one iv put the deposit on.. as i fell in love with it instantly, i was just checking to see if it was genuine or not e.g matching the serial number.. as iv seen alot of different kinds of jcm 800`s

:)

Unknown3

Reaction score
GibsonSlash, that picture you posted makes me hard. :D haha, is it yours? Great-looking half-stack there ;)

danielNoble

Reaction score
the amp is also in really really good condition.. was serviced in 2003 & 2007, he promises everything is stock.. and i had a look behind the plate at the back.. and everything looked perfect.. and looked original.. ill record some clips and take some photos of it when it comes on friday .. the only minor problems is a bit of scuffs on the tolex

so its been well looked after for 24 years!

can`t wait untill it comes! :D

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
Just look for signs of mods, stay away from amp with mods, they will just devalue overtime.
Anyway I'm sure you'll be pleased by it. :)
the amp is also in really really good condition.. was serviced in 2003 & 2007, he promises everything is stock.. and i had a look behind the plate at the back.. and everything looked perfect.. and looked original.. ill record some clips and take some photos of it when it comes on friday .. the only minor problems is a bit of scuffs on the tolex

so its been well looked after for 24 years!

can`t wait untill it comes! :D

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
Hi Ken,

Not sure about components, but these old transformers will make big difference.

"Amps don't get better with age; they get worse, all things being equal."
It depends by the owner/s who use and maintain it nicely or abuse it.
Why? Do the reissues use cheaper components? Amps don't get better with age; they get worse, all things being equal.

Ken

danielNoble

Reaction score
btw, the valves in this jcm, where can i buy replacement ones for when they need replacing?

Ken

Reaction score
Hi Ken,

Not sure about components, but these old transformers will make big difference.

Really? Why is that? One would think they deteriorate too. Now, I can understand that maybe the older ones were made better...but how can aging improve them?

Ken

Unknown3

Reaction score
Don't hold this against me because I don't know anything about transformers, however; it's possible that a transformer will deteriorate only very little if even notable over a course of decades. That is, even after 20 or 50 years, an '80's amp will still be better than a reissue because it was built better and any deterioration will not effect it enough (assuming the amp has been taken care of properly, regularly revised, etc.).

@ GibsonSlash: I meant the pic of the JCM 800 w/ vert. inputs ;)