Marshall Jcm 900 Mkiii 2100 Effects Loop Question...

Nev

Reaction score
I picked up a great looking Marshall JCM 900 MK III 2100 the other day. This was supposedly a limited run for about 18 months or so I've read. No reverb, just shared EQ and 2 Master Volume knobs, plus a Preamp and Gain sensitivity. It's actually pretty good. There are no labels of it being the SL-X anywhere but I believe that this eventually turned into that model.
Anyway, I prefer to use a rack effects processor instead of effect pedals. I currently use the Digitech 1101 which is perfect for me. Multiple effects, plus volume level adjustments for solos, plus Noise gate, etc. it's real nice.
Last night I go to hook up this 1101 to the MKIII 2100> Send in, Return out. I was getting a little bit of noise so I increased the gate that normally works on other heads I have (JVM 205H, 2203x, ENGL Blackmore) but I was unable to hear the gate work even when I maxed the level. I made sure the loop level was maxed to high, and also tried a MXR 10 band EQ pedal in the loop. The pedal worked, so I know the loop is operational. It's not the processor because it works perfectly in all the other heads.
I have read that if you're not using the loop on this head, you should put a jumper cable from Send to the Return, and that will give you better tones. But I need to use my effects processor in the loop and it seems to not be working as it should.
It's got to be the loop on the head right? But...what to do about it?

andy k

Reaction score
I ran a 10 band in my loop, worked well, the jumper lead trick is just a hack to let you dial in the trim pot for the loop to get a little more pre-amp gain, AFAIK,
I only ran pedals in front of mine, they are pretty basic amps, maybe you should put your multi-fx in front, and maybe try just delay or reverbs in the loop.
great sounding amps-but loud if you get them in the zone.
the MK111 was the first edition, then the DR, then the SLX, basically the mk111 is a modded jcm800, but a lot of purists dont like the way it was modded, think they used a pedal style chip in the pre-amp stage to get more gain.
John5 and AIC sounds , if you can get it there
cheers
andy k

Latest posts