Marshall JCM2000 TSL122 / 100 Static Noise Clean Channel Only

markire

Reaction score
Hi,

My first post here, but I have got many great tips from here over the years and fixed up my own TSL100 Head from this Forum.

Currently I am fixing up a TSL122 for a friend that somebody had spilled a drink into while he was doing a bar gig, and I am seeing a strange issue. There is noise / crackling / popping on the Clean Channel only (with or without an instrument plugged in, doesn’t affect the amount of noise), switch to any drive channels and they are nice and quite. The only control on the clean channel that affects the noise is the volume pot, turns the noise up and down. Reverb does not affect the noise ether.

First off the Power Amp Section had some issues, these are all fixed now and there is no issues in the power amp section anymore. I have tried known good valves in the pre-amp section and have verified this issue remains with known good valves. I have removed V1, V2 and V3, and plugged straight into the effects return in the clean channel and the noise is gone. Placing valves back in to the pre-amp section 1 by 1, backwards from V3, the noise starts when V2 is inserted. Coupling caps C15 and C23 were replaced, and the board was put back in, everything was fine. The next day the noise is back, re seated all connectors and the noise is gone. Again, next day the noise is back.

If i turn on the amp and leave it on, the noise gets gradually quieter until it is gone, this can take about half an hour or an hour roughly if I remember correctly from the other day.

Once the noise goes away the amp sounds great, until it is left powered off for a while and then the issue returns.

Has anyone seen a similar issue to this? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I am aware of the old PCB issue, that caused problems after being powered up a while with bias etc. , but this issue is isolated to the Clean Channel only and seems to get better after the amp has been left on a while. Thanks in advance for any suggestions

markire

Reaction score
Turn it on and the problem is there, turn it on an hour later and the problem is gone

Parkerx02

Reaction score
My TSL100 has done this since I got it, except my clean channel doesn't get quieter after an hour. My gain channels are totally quiet with volume off and only slight hiss with volume up. But, the clean channel has a low pitched his and ocean sound like if you put a shell up to your ear even with that channels volume down. Did you even find a fix for yours?

markire

Reaction score
No I didn't have any luck tracking down the issue in the end, was fixing for a friend and and the amp was needed back. I do have my own TSL100 Head that does not have the issue at all, its silent on all channels. I was suspecting something in the switching circuitry but never got around to trying anything out

Parkerx02

Reaction score
No I didn't have any luck tracking down the issue in the end, was fixing for a friend and and the amp was needed back. I do have my own TSL100 Head that does not have the issue at all, its silent on all channels. I was suspecting something in the switching circuitry but never got around to trying anything out
Well, hell, that sucks. I have had my mine apart a bunch n done tons of mods, but nothing to the clean channel yet that's the channel I'm having issues with, go figure

Latest posts