• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Marshall JMP 50 Plexi - coating on levant tolex?

Tzurby

Reaction score
On the area around the Logo of my original JMP 50 Plexi it looks like someone has wiped off some kind coating on the levant tolex. I got it that way, many years ago (in 2004).

ecda9e-1576756175.jpg

Is there such a coating? Any recommendations how to bring this area back to shine, and with hopefully invisible transitions to the rest of the levant?

By the way, the logo is original, but not to this amp (as far as I remember). The "M" is also there. I will clean it and reglue it (the pins are missing) when this spot problem has been solved.

Thanks

BygoneTones

Reaction score
Difficult to say without seeing it in person and looking at it very closely. Could be that the original tolex is damaged - someone has tried to clean it with something abrasive, or could be that it just has a layer of boot polish on it or something to make it look more black.

I'd be tempted to swap the logo for a fully intact one, rather than glue on a broken one. It looks like the standard white logo to me, same as on your master pa below.

Tzurby

Reaction score
I am quite sure, somebody used something abrasive. So, most probably nothing has been whiped off, some coating, as I first thought. Now it seems to me it is more probable that the plastic in the tolex has been destroyed. If so, it seems to me, nothing can be done.

I added some more pictures.

Regarding the logo, I think it is original, though broken.
I cannot find a good timeline on Marshall logos right now. As far as I remember, one can distinguish 1960s from 1970s onwards logos, amoung others, by locking if the slashes in the H and the two L's run parallel to each other. Mine do. The later, or standard, logos do not.
Also, the pin spacings of the logo fit to the plexi head box.

Attachments

• IMG_1797.JPG
    IMG_1797.JPG
    634.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1798.JPG
    IMG_1798.JPG
    657.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1799.JPG
    IMG_1799.JPG
    855.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1803.JPG
    IMG_1803.JPG
    422.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1804.JPG
    IMG_1804.JPG
    746.8 KB · Views: 18

BygoneTones

Reaction score
Hmmm I dont know. Looks like it might have boot polish on it to me, and the less glossy areas are how it is supposed to look. Have you checked the insides of the head box? Most people, when they paint their gear they don't bother to take the rear panels off to do the insides, leaving the tolex in original condition inside. Worth a look.

Re the logo what year amp is it? They switched logos from gold to white around mid 1969 on the headboxes.

The earlier gold logos have a very obvious open letter 'r' and the back of the letter 'a' is arrow straight, not curved. Also quite a wide gap between the last 'a' and 'l'. The bottom one here is an original, top one is the music ground replica:

LogoCompare1.jpg

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
If you use a strong cleaner and go at it with a scotchbrite pad, it'll make the tolex look just like that. Maybe some spray-painted band logo was taken off it that way.

Adieu

Reaction score
That's probably just old tire shine or a back-to-black plastic restorer type product (~= same thing)

You can clean tolex with Turtle Wax Interior 1 cleaner

71Xu+1iedyL._SX342_.jpg

Tzurby

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice regarding Tolex. I found here in Germany a product called Vinylex Protectant by Lexol, and it does a really good job.
I also got the logo from Denmark Street Guitars (its Justin H ...), and it fits quite well.

Latest posts