Marshall JMP 50W MKII 1974

• Thread starter Odad
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Odad

Reaction score
There is one of these for sale in my area going for 3 grand
is that a worth it price ?
any thoughts thx

Attachments

• 62A3CD99-9E2D-4667-B8AB-E516FC24DC7E.jpeg
    62A3CD99-9E2D-4667-B8AB-E516FC24DC7E.jpeg
    625.6 KB · Views: 41

V-man

Reaction score
Very general question that is hard to provide a knee jerk response. Area, condition and originality influence the numbers significantly, but it is not out of the realm of possibilities.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
3 grand? Not out of the realm of possibility, but no way to tell with just one photo.

Lots of photos required, including plenty of clear gut shots taken in good lighting and well focused without blur.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
any thoughts thx
Research the value. Now prices are high but those amps seem to be harder to get.
Also it could need a little maintenance or it could have been modified either way , get some info together quickly because last time I was looking at JMP it was gone by the time I got done asking questions here.

V-man

Reaction score
Not worth 3K, in my opinion. I think anyone that pays even 2K for an old amp that most likely needs lots of attention, is crazy.
And forever people were bitching all day long about 2203s and 2204s not being worth more than $1,000, as the new reissue was well over 2x (and now over 3x) that. Your/our money ain’t worth shit. New replacements are not being made or trickling in at a glacial pace and 1970s JMPs aren’t respawning out of some golden goose’s ass. Your mentality may have formed the chorus in 2010. Now it sounds like an old fart telling kids how he used to get a pack of camels out of the school vending machine for 50¢ :slash:

961le

Reaction score
As long as someone will pay it that’s it’s worth. After it sits a while with no bites the price will come down. Or it’ll sell and you move on to the next one. it’s up to you. Bacon isn’t worth 5 bucks to me so I won’t buy any. I would like a 2203x to add to the collection but I would never pay 3400 bucks for one. not even half of that. It’s not worth it to me.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
And forever people were bitching all day long about 2203s and 2204s not being worth more than $1,000, as the new reissue was well over 2x (and now over 3x) that. Your/our money ain’t worth shit. New replacements are not being made or trickling in at a glacial pace and 1970s JMPs aren’t respawning out of some golden goose’s ass. Your mentality may have formed the chorus in 2010. Now it sounds like an old fart telling kids how he used to get a pack of camels out of the school vending machine for 50¢ :slash:
Sounds about right. Besides opinions are like a holes. Lol

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
All you got? (yawn). That aside, everyone's obviously entitled to their personal opinion. I personally would never pay that kind of money for that amp. If you would, your choice, your money, go for it.

Last edited:

V-man

Reaction score
All you got? (yawn). That aside, everyone's obviously entitled to their personal opinion. I personally would never pay that kind of money for that amp. If you would, your choice, your money, go for it.

That’s all well and good, but until you become a dictator of a centralized economy, few to nobody really GAF about your musings for the purpose of this discussion. I mean, you are perfectly free to express your opinion, but it’s a pretty worthless one against what the forces that clearly guide the market, which evidently don’t share that view.

You can sit there based on your personal experience with the old amps (or lack thereof) insisting they are not worth it, just as someone can gripe the 1950s Fenders aren’t shit against the 1990s MIJ versions, just as someone can assert that from the aspects of driveability, handling, and performance, the 2011 Toyota Camry blows the doors off the 1969 Porsche 911, thus making it the old sports car a ripoff for any more than $8,500.

The only value your input has is a subjective value judgment that the Juice of Old Marshall X isn’t worth the squeeze when you can get Y instead for this much less money… but you don’t even accomplish this with your gripe. it’s just a general complaint that people paying $2000 for an old amp are crazy… amidst the backdrop of $2,000+ BASE model Gibsons and $3,000+ Flagship and reissue Marshalls (that STILL aren’t exactly built right to spec to the originals more often than not). All this to say “cool you don’t think think so… but utterly worthless to the OP’s inquiry, or even general discussion, for that matter.”

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
That’s all well and good, but until you become a dictator of a centralized economy, few to nobody really GAF about your musings for the purpose of this discussion. I mean, you are perfectly free to express your opinion, but it’s a pretty worthless one against what the forces that clearly guide the market, which evidently don’t share that view.

You can sit there based on your personal experience with the old amps (or lack thereof) insisting they are not worth it, just as someone can gripe the 1950s Fenders aren’t shit against the 1990s MIJ versions, just as someone can assert that from the aspects of driveability, handling, and performance, the 2011 Toyota Camry blows the doors off the 1969 Porsche 911, thus making it the old sports car a ripoff for any more than $8,500.

The only value your input has is a subjective value judgment that the Juice of Old Marshall X isn’t worth the squeeze when you can get Y instead for this much less money… but you don’t even accomplish this with your gripe. it’s just a general complaint that people paying $2000 for an old amp are crazy… amidst the backdrop of $2,000+ BASE model Gibsons and $3,000+ Flagship and reissue Marshalls (that STILL aren’t exactly built right to spec to the originals more often than not). All this to say “cool you don’t think think so… but utterly worthless to the OP’s inquiry, or even general discussion, for that matter.

Sorry you're so disgruntled, get better. Until then, I'll just have to "ignore", but good luck. :)

Last edited:

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
any thoughts thx
I'd have a lot of questions for the seller, such as why he thinks it's worth $3000. I live near a huge market, and no amp similar to the one the seller listed has an asking price of $3K unless it had a particular stellar history (e.g. owned by someone famous like EVH, SRV, etc). Assuming it's stock and has an average history, the fact that it's pretty beat to sh*t on the outside makes me wonder about the condition on the inside.

Additionally, there is no real high demand that warrants such a high price. I live near the L.A. market, and in that huge market there is no spectacularly high demand for a Marshall amp similar to the one the in the quote above. If there was a huge demand in many big markets, then I could say $3000 might be fair.

I have no doubt that someone out there is willing to pay $3000, and if the seller is willing to wait long enough, I'm sure he/she will get that $3000 for it. If you really want it, make contact and start asking questions and/or setup a demo.

Good luck with your decision.