• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Marshall JVM410H 12ax7 Chassis Grommet

• Thread starter TJB
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TJB

Reaction score
I'm trying to find a replacement grommet that is used in the chassis where the 12AX7 sits. I have four but I'm missing the 5th one. Bought it used and one of the grommets was missing. Can anyone help me find one? Would like to buy several to keep as a backup. Thanx!

South Park

Reaction score
Are we looking at a tube socket . Or a rubber grommet that wire goes into .you can hind them at the hardware store

South Park

Reaction score
Get the size of the hole it will be a standard size . And a a wire grommet from the hardware store . You can get them on eBay

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
50-watt.jpg

Monstercastle

Reaction score
V6 (first gain preamp tube) on the JVM410 doesn’t have a grommet, it should have a shield over the tube. These are readily available.

TJB

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I ordered a 12ax7 tube shield. It's a spring loaded bayonet style so I won't have to put a machine screw and nut on. Original part made for the Marshall JVM410H. This is for the 12ax7 V6 that's next to the transformer. I assume the original owner didn't want it on that tube for some reason. Thanks to all that answered. Great Marshall forum!

Last edited:

Monstercastle

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. How are you liking the JVM? I stupidly sold my first 410H about a year ago, and received the new one just this week to correct that. I bought new through Sweetwater, but the first one they shipped had a defective power transformer. Mechanical noise from the transformer measured over 20dB. Got the replacement this week and I’m happy again. Rolled my favorite preamp tubes into it, adjusted BIAS on the factory tubes, and it sounds great.

TJB

Reaction score
I was using a Crate V32H amp and the 2x12 speaker that came with the original amp. Bought it from someone that bought it new in the 90's. They put it on the shelf (in the box), never used! I wanted a Marshall jvm410h for years for outdoor venues. I then picked up a 1960bc with greenbacks and a 1960bv with Celestion V12-70's. That Marshall JVM410H is one bad a$$ amp! Is the biasing of the tubes easy? Does it have a pot adjustment or does it require a resistor change? How hot do they get? Do I need to put a fan in?

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I was using a Crate V32H amp and the 2x12 speaker that came with the original amp. Bought it from someone that bought it new in the 90's. They put it on the shelf (in the box), never used! I wanted a Marshall jvm410h for years for outdoor venues. I then picked up a 1960bc with greenbacks and a 1960bv with Celestion V12-70's. That Marshall JVM410H is one bad a$$ amp! Is the biasing of the tubes easy? Does it have a pot adjustment or does it require a resistor change? How hot do they get? Do I need to put a fan in?
It has a pot adjustmenrt. No need for a fan at all. They run warm like any 100 watt amp but nothing to worry about.

TJB

Reaction score
Thanks for that info. I picked up the amp for $1,400 in like new condition. Saw this on Reverb and jumped on it like a duck on a June bug! It has a full set of JJ's in it and I'm looking for a better quality set of tube's.

Monstercastle

Reaction score
I'm looking for a better quality set of tube's.
I like well tested Shuguang tubes in the JVM preamp spots. I’ve got two quads of SED =C= in stock that I kept when I sold my last head. But I’m sticking with the JJ’s in the power section for now. I haven’t played out in decades, so power tube subtleties are less important. I run it through an Avatar Vintage 212 with Creamback M65’s and it’s glorious.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Santiago said that they liked JJ in V6, because it is the most quiet, then Chinese in the rest, because they are durable. In the Pre-amp. They used Svetlana, or whatever power tubes...

Monstercastle

Reaction score
Santiago said that they liked JJ in V6
Friedman is the same on his amps. I find that for me I prefer Chinese (good, well tested, low noise/low mic) in the gain slots on my JVM, but on my little DSL20HR I stick with the JJ. On the JVM, I feel the Chinese tubes in the V6/V7 (gain stages) give it more of that "kerrang" that i expect with Marshalls. Bit more bite or edge. On my JJ Jr, I also stick with JJ in V1, as I've rolled a bunch of non-NOS tubes through it and the JJ's sound best in V1.

TJB

Reaction score
I was told by a friend that JJ's have a short life span. Is this true? What say you.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
you can say that about any current production tube.

In the old days, they used to do military spec, which had to guarantee so many hours, like 10K, or 50K, etc. Many x's they were designated as JAN (joint army/navy) spec. They were inspected & guaranteed.

Today's rebranders supposedly inspect, but, they only guarantee 6 months at best, from time of purchase.

If you plop a tube in your guitar amp & play it for 50K hours, how many years will that tube last you?

Latest posts