Marshall Major PA...

• Thread starter Welderbastard
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
So I recently acquired one of these and had it restored. How many of these were made? The seller told me it was an ex Deep Purple amp. I've only ever seen one other which was online and in Europe I believe.
How does it sound? What are you using to control volume?

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Haven't tried it yet.
I just bought it and dropped it off at Solderhaus.
Tech said it sounded great after working on it.
Has the one wire mod installed.
Also picked up a 78' 50 watt master volume that day and 1969 super tremolo.
I was going to say, that, it's probably a clean amp (gain-wise). If indeed a Deep Purple amp, it could have been used for keyboards. If you look at a lot of their early '70s shows, they had all sorts of PA stuff onstage, in their backline. Interesting how it would sound w/ the 1-wire mod...

I'm going to move this to "vintage". Post images of all these bad boys... :)...

Welderbastard

Reaction score
More coming when I'm not at workIMG_20231030_091249.jpg
I was going to say, that, it's probably a clean amp (gain-wise). If indeed a Deep Purple amp, it could have been used for keyboards. If you look at a lot of their early '70s shows, they had all sorts of PA stuff onstage, in their backline. Interesting how it would sound w/ the 1-wire mod...

Thanks kindly.
I appreciate that.

Welderbastard

Reaction score

It had had some varying mods done on it which were gain mods but excluded one channel altogether. Upon inspection and testing it was determined that the mods should be nullified and a return to stock with failed components being replaced with vintage correct and then employing the one wire mod.
Thanks again.

Welderbastard

Reaction score
Well thank you kindly.
I believe that I'll be listing it at $4,000.
Hanging onto the super tremolo for the time being.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I know someone who has a Major that he's had since the 80s and it has always been believed to be a former Blackmore amp. It has holes left in the back panel from a removed modification which was supposedly a loop for connecting a tape machine.

Welderbastard

Reaction score
It'd be cool to see pics. I tried to upload some pics and a video of my tech bro playing this one but the site says the files are too large.
Amp sound fornicating killer though.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
images have to be under 1MB in filesize. No video support, so, you'd have to upload it somewhere & share the link. Like youtube, or other media site...

you can upload larger images to an image media hosting site, then post them here...

StingRay85

Reaction score
That 2204 looks great too! Might be most valuable of the three, hardly doubt you'll get 4K for the Major, unless you can proof that it was used by Deep Purple

neikeel

Reaction score
I’ve worked on a couple of Majors, both metal panel era, one PA and one Bass.
Both so unfeasibly loud that I struggled to get them to do anything I wanted other than noodle. I’m sure a more talented player could get something decent from them.
Given that most gigs find my JTM45 half stack too loud unattenuated……………..

Reactions: ljs

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
68 Major PA , had a BAD squeally cascade job on two channels . I tightened that up ,,,not unlike a 2203/4 preamp I suppose .Also had a PPIMV which I left in ,after making sure it was up to snuff

I really got this amp for bass . Have yet to do any gig with it on guitar . Had it for over a decade
Video from my laptop cam ...a few years back