Marshall MX412

• Thread starter Havoc
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Havoc

Reaction score
I have a Marshall MX series 4x12 cab loaded with Seventy 80 speakers.
My question is are these cabs worth a speaker upgrade? Some have told me it wouldn’t make much of a difference.

Sustainium

Reaction score
I can only speak of the pair of MX 1x12 cabs that I loaded a pair of Celestion 65w Creambacks into. They sound great through my studio amps and I won’t get rid of them. Personally, I’d replace the speakers and rock the MX cab. On the remote chance you don’t like it you can get another cab built or used later.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
You have a great chance to experiment there with your MX412, but it is expensive and risky.
What head are you using and what is your style @Havoc?

Havoc

Reaction score
I’m currently using a DSL 100H. The band I’m with plays a variety from country to 80’s. The heaviest we go is still of the night.
I also have a Laney GH50 that I want to start using as well.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
You should ideally be able to handle double the wattage of your amp.
You have 320W of coverage with four Seventy 80s.
Probably best to avoid something as cutting as V30s.
Greenbacks would only just cover the wattage you are planning to put through the MX412.
Greenbacks are 25W each, so 100W in total.
An inexpensive speaker to try is the G12T-75 that Marshall put in their standard 412 cabs.
They put the slightly cheaper 70W V-Types in their Studio Vintage and Classic cabs and the DSL40CR.
I have one of them in a 112 cab and I like it.

Last edited:

Havoc

Reaction score
Thank you. I was considering the G12T, especially since I will be using the Laney as well. I heard V30’s and that head aren’t a good match up.
So the V type is a decent choice as well?

The seventy/80 just seems a little harsh to me.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I was considering the G12T, especially since I will be using the Laney as well. I heard V30’s and that head aren’t a good match up.
So the V type is a decent choice as well?

The seventy/80 just seems a little harsh to me.
wait...

I have the Laney VH100R (the GH's big brother). I got it used w/ the matching cab. I'm not certain what's init, but, a quick search says that it came w/ 70/eighty speakers (maybe not). If so, they are a perfect match for that amp. Perfect.

When I tried the amp out, I cranked it at the guys house, in his garage & it was echoing all through the neighborhood. It sounded really good. The guy I don't think even believed how good it sounded. He thought I was great on guitar, even though I didn't play anything that great, it's just, I don't think he ever heard it sound that good.

To the point, when I got it home, I put the cab in storage & have hooked it up to a ½ dozen different cab's w/ different speakers, & have never gotten a good tone.

I need to pull out the cab & hook it up.

The moral of the story... the 70/80 might be the perfect mate for the Laney. If you really want the Laney, try it 1st, before you go changing those. You might be better off getting a matching cab for the DSL...

@Micky IIRC said that the 70/80 also works really well w/ Fender amp's...

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
The V-Type is purported to be a tamed version of the V30, with less of the 'Mid' spike that polarizes people around the V30.
I've never used a V30 so I can't make a comparison, but the V-Type doesn't fatigue my ears.

I'm not sure where you live, but maybe you could check out the online classified ads like 'Gumtree' in the UK.
They have a quad of G12H-100 speakers going near me for £65 at the moment!
You could find a real bargain and reduce the hit if you don't like the speakers and sell them on.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-guitar-accessories/celestion-g12h-100-guitar-speakers-x4/1383305118