Marshall needs to make a preamp like Friedman has

• Thread starter TonalEuphoria
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TonalEuphoria

Reaction score
Basically all of the full blown amps manufactured by boutique are as far as I’m aware are designed by the Amp Designer whose name is on the amp . The same goes with the Synergy pre amp modules , the only thing is with the modules there are some that are synergy’s take on other manufacturers amps . But having said that the Synergy plexi module for example is designed by Dave Friedman and the iiC+ is designed by Steven Fryette. The synergy power amps are designed in collaboration with Steven Freyette and everything Synergy is made in ( or should I say assembled in ) California unlike the Friedman IR-X and D which are made in China . What’s cool with having a Synergy set up now is if I want for example a genuine Soldano SLO pre amp then I can by it for £400 , or an Engl powerball or a Diezel VH4 , and so on .

The individual take on all these different amp simulations and variants of is the brass tacks. How each hears it and designed it to be. While I admire what they make, I have never liked the way Synergy's or Dave's stuff sounds. There's just some distinctive tonal qualities of each in the way they designed it and their take on it, that just doesn't appeal to me the more I hear them. And where if there was a Soldano pedal preamp designed, I feel it's best that Mike designs it.

jeffb

Reaction score
This is what I'm currently using, Marshall made the DRP-1 in the 90's. They need to make a current version with all the bells and whistles. I'd like multiple channels, a tube preamp, effects, lead volume boost, effects loop, cab sims, to name a few features.

I forgot about that thing!

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
The individual take on all these different amp simulations and variants of is the brass tacks. How each hears it and designed it to be. While I admire what they make, I have never liked the way Synergy's or Dave's stuff sounds. There's just some distinctive tonal qualities of each in the way they designed it and their take on it, that just doesn't appeal to me the more I hear them. And where if there was a Soldano pedal preamp designed, I feel it's best that Mike designs it.
Yep , Mike Soldano did indeed the design the Synergy SLO pre amp module . Dave Friedman did design the Synergy , but to sound like a Marshall plexi rather than a Friedman . What is a Marshall plexi anyway , could be one of a number of different amps , could be one of a particular model of Marshall plexi that sounds very different to the next one off the production line 🤔🤦‍♂️

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I think it would be very easy for Marshall to make a pedal sized amp, take the MG, add a tube preamp, this amp has all the features and functionality of a JVM plus built in effects, make sure it has plexi and 800 tone stack voicing option, make it the size of a multi-effects pedal (room for clean, crunch, and lead footswitch buttons), this will satisfy everyone. $500 price cap, everyone will want one.

TonalEuphoria

Reaction score
I think it would be very easy for Marshall to make a pedal sized amp, take the MG, add a tube preamp, this amp has all the features and functionality of a JVM plus built in effects, make sure it has plexi and 800 tone stack voicing option, make it the size of a multi-effects pedal (room for clean, crunch, and lead footswitch buttons), this will satisfy everyone. $500 price cap, everyone will want one.

That's about it. They can do it. Now they need to. I would hope they do a JCM800 version first for my own selfish reasons. But I'm allowed to be selfish. Afterall, everyone else is. :D

TonalEuphoria

Reaction score
Yep , Mike Soldano did indeed the design the Synergy SLO pre amp module . Dave Friedman did design the Synergy , but to sound like a Marshall plexi rather than a Friedman . What is a Marshall plexi anyway , could be one of a number of different amps , could be one of a particular model of Marshall plexi that sounds very different to the next one off the production line 🤔🤦‍♂️

So true. As long as it sounds good. That's all that really matters.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
That's about it. They can do it. Now they need to. I would hope they do a JCM800 version first for my own selfish reasons. But I'm allowed to be selfish. Afterall, everyone else is. :D
800/plexi switch. Those are the two tones everyone wants. :yesway:

cowbellfever

Reaction score
I've waited for years for Marshall to release a direct to mixer solution with speaker sim.
Last year I caved and bought a TC Electronic Jims800 and it's actually pretty good.
I use it at band rehearsal and it gets the job done. My band rehearses with IEMs and I stopped bringing my amp to rehearsal and use this as my only amp sim.
I previously tried to use a Marshall DSL1 amp, but the headphone output tones were not great or even usable.

NumbSkull

Reaction score
I think Marshall has lost this race,
Low end covered by TC and NUX, Mid band full, high end Kemper and others already have great software and a huge library of IR's.
Unless they already have been developing something and are ready to release its too late to start now.

guitarbilly74

Reaction score
To clarify this, everything BAD makes with the Soldano name on it was designed by Mike himself. He just doesn't manufacture the products anymore but every current Soldano product was 100% Mike's design, including the Synergy module.

robertkoa

Reaction score
Completely agree. Marshall could easily put out their versions of the IRX and IRD and rake in the cash. Do it right how Friedman and a couple others are making them and these would be on lots of floor boards. A Jubilee version.A Super Lead version, JVH's,etc. Add the CaptorX type of IR's and intuitive signal routing....... For the $500 the Friedmans charge and what you get is an outstanding way of getting authentic and beloved amp tones in a preamp floor pedal.
Yes . But I think a 3rd Tube [ not for more gain but acting like a faux phase inverter tube, might nit actually invert ] to add to response and better 3D sound beyond JMP 1 for cleans to OD ...

If they can get away with about $700 retail ...

I think Hughes & Kettner could probably do it better with Thomas Blug ...

robertkoa

Reaction score
To clarify this, everything BAD makes with the Soldano name on it was designed by Mike himself. He just doesn't manufacture the products anymore but every current Soldano product was 100% Mike's design, including the Synergy module.
He told me on the phone long ago [ don't know him personally ] how Yamaha screwed up his tube combo by changing a few parts to save a few dollars - may have been output transformer - can't remember . It was a chance to get real Soldano tones cheap - he hated what they did ...

So don't mess with the design !

A recording Guitar Pre from Soldano for 1000 might smoke every modeler ...lol even in 2025 ...

Reaction score
Marshall has quite a bit of experience with MIDI going back to the JMP-1, 6100, JVM etc

That's all the IR-X/D is, it's a high voltage tube preamp with very basic MIDI and an IR loader. It's not a full software based preamp - and that's the appeal of it. I bought the IR-D precisely because I didn't want to deal with modeling or software.

I have no doubts Marshall could pull off the MIDI part and IR loaders are pretty simple to make these days.
Agreed and if you don’t have a ( Preamp) which what this is a preamp and you don’t want give $1000 for used Marshall preamps and use your own effects it’s the shit I’m buying one . Look at this way you need a preamp with the Marshall 9005 and Friedman preamps have all you need plus IR’s , Midi , FX Loop etc What else you need fricking fabulous idea And if Marshall does make one I will buy it but until then im buying new not used the market for preamps is slim
Very slim and Expensive ..

Reaction score
In other words, Marshall would have to compete from behind the Eight Ball with the likes of UAX on re-building the mousetrap.

The obvious winner would be a tube Master Volume MkII (2203/4) and maybe a 25/50.

As a < $500 tube preamp pedal like Friedman, I see a winner.

Sadly, long past the window of opportunity but a rack preamp that switched between a 2203 preamp and 2555 with independent EQ and vol for a 2-channel rack unit would have been killer.
Agreed 🤘 I have several Marshall racks you need a preamp Friedman fits the damn bill
can also use TC1140, 2240 , Blue Tubes RT-904 GSP-2101 Artist for preamps JMP-1 of course no doubt about it .. these our just a few there hard to find some our reasonable pricing some not and with the Friedman no worries on mixed impedance issues Rack gear is tedious and Van be fun at times . Come on Marshall like all above say !! I’d like to have a Marshall Preamp
maybe in the future until then Friedman has money 🤘

TassieViking

Reaction score
Under Downunder Where The Devils Roam At Night
First time I noticed this thread, I think what people want is a Sushi Box JC Emerald pedal, it is basically a JCM800 preamp in a pedal.
Sushi Box makes pedals with tubes in them and running at very high voltages on the tubes, but powered from 9v-12v like any other pedal.
He has DI pedals as well with tubes so you can run all tubes if you want to on your pedal board.
Nathan who runs Sushi Box is away for some R&R right now but he should be back soon.
I have several of his PCB's that he sells so you can build your own pedal and Music Ding sells his kits.

Cheers
Mick