• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Marshall Origin DI... anyone actually use it.

• Thread starter J.LaGrassa
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

J.LaGrassa

Reaction score
I was trying out the amps DI on my Origin 50 and thought it's not really that good but with EQ it can probably get you by in a live setting if you don't have a mic, I have a Aiken Gold Brick "Speaker Emulating Direct Box" which I think is so much better and would take very little EQ. Thought I would make a quick comparison just for the fun of it, I have the Gold Brick mounted in my cab in series with my speaker I would use that over the amps DI.

What are your thought on the DI, anyone actually use it.

Here is a little comparison clip with no added EQ both recorded flat into my Interface and DAW.

Nadir

Reaction score
If the DI does not include a speaker emulation it is normal for it to sound awful: you are listening to the pure amplifier signal output without a speaker&cab.

J.LaGrassa

Reaction score
If the DI does not include a speaker emulation it is normal for it to sound awful: you are listening to the pure amplifier signal output without a speaker&cab.
According to the manual it does have speaker emulation

From the manual!
4. DI-OUTPUT
Connect your amplifier to an external
recording device or sound desk using this
output socket with added loudspeaker
emulation.

steveb63

Reaction score
According to the manual it does have speaker emulation

From the manual!
4. DI-OUTPUT
Connect your amplifier to an external
recording device or sound desk using this
output socket with added loudspeaker
emulation.
Yes, it's just not a good emulation, IMHO, YMMV etc...
Plus, it sounded, to me, like all pre amp.

I use a d.i. box with mine, and put a speaker i.r. after the fact. Using either my daw, or my cab emulator pedal.

Hope this helps, I have never run across anyone that loved the sound of the Origin d.i. jack.

thesunship

Reaction score
i sort of like it, but it's a bit fizzy - needs either a speaker sim or decent eq to take out the fizz. But the sound has a nice brilliant and chunky quality. The 2nd to me was also good but not as fat/thick. Nice playing and great tune!

Resident 217

Reaction score
I've tried a few emulated line outs over the last few years and found that to get a reasonable Marshall sound at least for my bad ears; I had to use a tube amp.
I tried double tracking the emulated out put of my DSL20...once. No for me.
Better was to take a line out from the attenuator and double that with Speaker Emulation.
However I will say that the SV20's Emulated out may be better than the Dsl's, this from past experience, which made it almost as useful for me as the attenuator's line out for double tracking. At least I thought so at the time.
but I'm sure most realize, memories are not sound...ha ha pun intended):)

I thought both emulations were good enough to place in a mix and found that the second one sounded more livley and contemporary whereas the first was almost like classic rock sound from a record. I think for quiet late night recording either would do me with the second being more versatile to play with FX and EQ and stuff. So I think the second one is better.

Last edited:

J.LaGrassa

Reaction score
I should note that the clips were with the amp in low mode and was not that loud at all, I also used the Smallbox OD for the dirt. Ill try it again some time at a descent volume and see if it effects the output tone!

cruisemates

Reaction score
What kind of delay did you have in the loop? Did it have reverb?

Can you recommend a good reverb pedal for Origin 50? EFX loop?