• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Marshall Origin Tolex?

What kind of tolex is used on the Origin Series?

• Total voters

Wil Johkur

Reaction score
Anyone know what kind of tolex is on the Marshall origin series? I'm buying the 20 watt head, and since they don't make a 1x12 cab for this series, I'm building one. I'd like to match the tolex as close as possible. Any help is appreciated!

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it’s certainly different from the more modern Marshall amp tolex, you know the Marshalls that have grill cloth on the face of the heads. I think THAT’S the elephant tolex if I’m not mistaken.

like this....

Scumback Speakers

Reaction score
View attachment 68379

I don't have it yet. There isn't one locally, so I'll be ordering it online.

This is the clearest up close photo I could find.
That is the standard black levant tolex. Elephant grain tolex has much wider pattern / grain to it as in the pic that scozz posted a few posts above.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Anyone know what kind of tolex is on the Marshall origin series? I'm buying the 20 watt head, and since they don't make a 1x12 cab for this series, I'm building one. I'd like to match the tolex as close as possible. Any help is appreciated!

Not sure where you live or who you are having build your cabinet but if you are in the USA, Mojotone can build you a beautiful cab. Their customer service is awesome, pricing is fair and you can contact them and they will send you I believe up to (5) free samples of Tolex free of charge so you can see it before you select it.

Scumback Speakers

Reaction score
Be advised that Mojotone tolex is not the same color or grain as original Marshall tolex in either levant or elephant styles. If you want your new cab to match you'll need to get original Marshall tolex. Just thought you should know that before ordering tolex and cloth as well.

Wil Johkur

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys! Mojotone is a possibility I was considering, but I may actually build it myself. I was considering the studio vintage 1x12 as it is cosmetically similar, but the width of the cab is slightly smaller than the head. We shall see.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I recommend giving Sour Mash Cabs a call. Bob's work is second to none and his prices are super reasonable.

I'm sure that there are some other "cabinet makers" who just buy Sour Mash cabs and mark them up.

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
This is what the Sourmash levant looks like, this is their British green. They will also send you samples, not sure if they sell just the tolex.

9D1D7608-C2B3-4889-A342-FD8449D15638.jpeg

Latest posts