Marshall Politics

• Thread starter Joe2000
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Joe2000

Reaction score
About 6-7 years ago everyone raved about JCM800 in the forum world and how it was last true rockin amp and how the introuction of diode clipping killed amps as we know them etc etc

About the same time JCM900's were considered the worst amps ever made by Marshall.

Fast forward 6-7 years and JCM800's are still popular however JCM2000 DSL seem to be the amp of choice. Even though back a few years ago they were tainted under the evil 'diode clipping' banner.

None of the above is my opinion, just an observation of trends.

So........how much have forums influenced your amp choice? :) :hippie:

thrawn86

Reaction score
Overall, they've influenced in a positive way....in other words, I'd be more inclined to try other Marshalls from what I hear members playing on the forum.....including the 900. I don't know if I'd buy anything else in the near future (since practicality overcomes want in my case), but when I hear eljeffebrown rail on his 900, it sounds good to me. Good tone is good tone, wherever you find it.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Everybody likes what they have the best. The amps that get railed on are generally railed on as a result of what someone has read, rather than experiences they have had. When people criticize an amp, I always take it with a grain of sale w/respect to their own experiences and/or ability.

Seriously, you have to be either tone-deaf, or just a sarcastic, elitist, jerk-off, to find a problem serious enough to prevent someone playing from just about any Marshall tube amp.

I like them all. I'd be happy to own them all. I have my favorites, but solid-state aside, I certainly wouldn't turn down anything as being "inferior".

Sorry, but I think if you own a Marshall, and then rip somebody else's Marshall, you should have to give up your Marshall loyalty card. I hate that garbage.

Codyjohns

VIP Member
Reaction score
The only Marshall I have not played through is a super lead .....I have played through a 1979 JMP,1982 JCM800 all the JCM900's and DSL,TSL. All are great sounding amp head.......but for some one to say the 900's is crap makes me laugh because a lot of the people that say this can barely play guitar and are insisting their amp is the best. If my demo's haven't proved that the 900's sounds just as good as the rest ......makes me laugh. No one should say that there amp model is the best they are all great sounding MARSHALL's and find the one that suits you best .....for me it's the 900"s.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2yDzI6yEWU[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8reFVAZU9Nk[/ame]

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
Marshall Rules!!!!

I don't care if it's a 1959 JMP or a MA100H, a 6100 or a Class 5, or a 2204 or a JMD:1.

They all own.

Ken

Reaction score
Pretty much all Marshall tube amps are very good; some are better at some things than others. The 800's defined an era of music, and the DSL's are a modern, versitile amp that are so cheap used that buying anything else used makes no sense if you're on a budget, so I also consider those two amps to be the modern face of what Marshall amps are all about.

The 1959's are there too of course, but most "moden" rock/metal players want those more as a toy to use at home than a gigging amp. I'm sure some people do gig with them (besides aging rock stars from the 1970's) but not that many compared to even the 900 series.

Ken

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Fast forward 6-7 years and JCM800's are still popular however JCM2000 DSL seem to be the amp of choice. Even though back a few years ago they were tainted under the evil 'diode clipping' banner.

The JCM2000 DSL amp is all tube signal path (no diode clipping)

Ken

Reaction score
The JCM2000 DSL amp is all tube signal path (no diode clipping)

Also, the DSL's were overwhelmingly popular when they came out. I'm sure someone didn't like them, but my memory is they were an instant hit with players and music magazines alike. I remember wanting one based on several reviews I read.

Ken

charveldan

Reaction score
Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
About 6-7 years ago everyone raved about JCM800 in the forum world and how it was last true rockin amp and how the introuction of diode clipping killed amps as we know them etc etc

About the same time JCM900's were considered the worst amps ever made by Marshall.

None of the above is my opinion, just an observation of trends.

So........how much have forums influenced your amp choice? :) :hippie:
I was a Marshall JMP owner 15 years before the internet.

Forums can be informative, but they have a downside as well.

Adwex

Reaction score
I had a 900, had diode clipping. Bought it brand new in '94 when I had no idea what was what. Didn't care for it.

Now I have a Jubilee, it has diode clipping. It's arguably the best amp Marshall ever made.

"Politics" never played a role in any of my amp choices.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 900, had diode clipping. Bought it brand new in '94 when I had no idea what was what. Didn't care for it.

Now I have a Jubilee, it has diode clipping. It's arguably the best amp Marshall ever made.

"Politics" never played a role in any of my amp choices.

W3RD! There are some Marshalls i don't care for but, that's just my PERSONAL TASTE. the MG..Eh..and the MA and JMD. I actualy like the 900's alot. They're way bright but, that amp cuts like RAZOR BLADE in a live miz and records quite well. It's all about the technique and dialing the thing in. As someone put it in one of the other threads "who cares if it's solid state tube or whatever? Good tone is good tone!"

KILLER-WATTS

Reaction score
I'll use forums for tips etc on gear , mostly if a particular item has problems or faults and what to look out for if i'm planning to buy .. I could care less about peoples opinions on what that gear sounds like though , opinions on tone are way too subjective .

Hayride13

Reaction score
I can't be a cork sniffer because Jack Daniels only comes with a screw cap. ;)

Seriously though, I can't hear "my amp is the best." I'll listen to opinions when someone is trying to be helpful and saying something like "this amp works best for me for these reasons or features." That pretty much goes for anything in life and not just amps/guitars. We're all different dammit.

Codyjohns

VIP Member
Reaction score
Why do people say( that their amp is better because it does NOT have diode clipping)and the Marshall's with diode clipping are shit. THAT IS THE BIGGEST BUNCH OF BULLSHIT I HAVE EVER HEARD. Diode clipping is a good thing and if people don't like it that's fine BUT stop trashing the amp that have diode clipping......Jubilee's have diode clipping and I do not hear people trashing them. Diode clipping works great in a Marshall JCM900 and give the amp a great sound.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
I was a Marshall JMP owner 15 years before the internet.

Forums can be informative, but they have a downside as well.

The internet was born in 1974. That would mean you got your JMP in 1959? Marshall didn't even exist at that time.

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
I would just like to add to Michaels point:

Diode clipping in a Marshall is bad but diode clipping in front of or in the loop of a Marshall is ok?

TS-9
SD-1
DS-1
MXR
DOD
etc,etc...

Just sayin'.

Adwex

Reaction score
The internet was born in 1974. That would mean you got your JMP in 1959? Marshall didn't even exist at that time.

C'mon, I'm sure he was referring to the time period when the "internet" became mainstream...somewhere in the '90s. In 1974, it was in its infancy, strictly for the government and academia.

Codyjohns

VIP Member
Reaction score
I would just like to add to Michaels point:

Diode clipping in a Marshall is bad but diode clipping in front of or in the loop of a Marshall is ok?

TS-9
SD-1
DS-1
MXR
DOD
etc,etc...

Just sayin'.

Why is diode clipping in a Marshall bad ......did you listen to my demo ....does my 900 sound bad to you?? Does the Jubilee's sound bad to you???

jcmjmp

Reaction score
C'mon, I'm sure he was referring to the time period when the "internet" became mainstream...somewhere in the '90s. In 1974, it was in its infancy, strictly for the government and academia.

If you only consider the www, that would bring you back to 1975.

Doesn't really matter for this discussion though. I like most Marshalls. They all have their place and its all personal pref.

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
Why is diode clipping in a Marshall bad ......did you listen to my demo ....does my 900 sound bad to you?? Does the Jubilee's sound bad to you???

You completely mis-read my post. My point was and still is that there is no difference between the clipping in a 900 and putting any dang stompbox OD/Dist. in front of a 1959.
Yes I have seen that vid, you do a great job playing the style of music you dig. I stopped "shredding" decades ago but that doesn't change the fact that I enjoy it done well by others.
Would I mind having a 900 or Jubilee? nah, like I said several posts up I love all Marshall's. They are however not my first choice. I turned down several Jubilee heads back when they were brand spanking new. Looking back I reckon that was a huge FAIL on my part because I could have sat on them for 20 years and cashed in big time since I would have picked them up for cost back then. Oh Well.

You have never read a post from me that is bashing any Marshall.

Playful banter with long standing members about DSL's, 6100's, and 900's is just that.

At the end of the day we have all learned our lesson:

MG POWER OWNS ALL!!!!!!!