Marshall Politics

• Thread starter Joe2000
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Codyjohns

VIP Member
Reaction score
You are right their is no difference from a pedal in front of the amp or diode clipping. SORRY I mis-read your post.....I feel like a ass.....my apologies.

Ken

Reaction score
My point was and still is that there is no difference between the clipping in a 900 and putting any dang stompbox OD/Dist. in front of a 1959.
]

Wow...

There's a HUGE difference as has been discussed in many threads. Creating distortion from a diode clip in the preamp will send a signal with the signature SS harmonics to the power amp to make louder.

A pedal up front of a tube preamp will send a signature SS harmonic pattern into the amp, but the tube preamp will take that pattern and add on the harmonic pattern that only a tube can provide.

Granted some people like the SS type of harmonics, so a pedal through a tube preamp may not be to their liking. The JCM 900 is better suited for that sound.

Ken

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
So........how much have forums influenced your amp choice? :) :hippie:

Good observations, Joe2000. Marketing is partly responsible for hype, but people are at least half responsible for bullshit hype. In answer to your question, "how much have forum influenced your amp choice?", I'd say very little, if that. I really don't care about what people here or other forums think about this amp or that amp (or guitar, or effects, etc. If I see something interesting, I go test it. I don't think I have ever started a thread where I solicited the opinions of others. How many times have you read nausiating posts titled "what amp for me?", "help me choose a new amp?", "what amp for metal?", "Does the Marshall ______ series do classic rock?" I wonder how these people make it through life when there are bigger decisions to be made.

People say, "I live too far from a music store, so I gotta ask." To these people I say that if you are serious about making great music and getting good sounds from your gear, you will turn off your computer and find a way, make the time to take a trip and check out some gear. People don't want to make decisions for themselves, but instead are more than ready to sacrifice or substitute choosing for some easier way of doing things. All you guys who do this really need to stop before you do something incredibly stupid because you trusted the advice of some friends/internet buddies you've only know for a short time, if that, over the internet!

TubeStack

Reaction score
I'll be honest, when I first got on the forums, I was green and took what people said pretty seriously. Now, I know much better, and beyond simple, direct tips relating to small areas of experience, I realize 98% of what gets thrown around in the forums is complete bullshit. :D

Part of this was because, in my early time on the forums, for whatever reason, I naively assumed that everyone was a pretty solid player. Then, after seeing/hearing so many clips of beginner/below-beginner level players spouting off (often the most), regarding how this amp sucks, this one blows the others away, etc, I started to care MUCH less about what some stranger posted, regarding a particular amp or piece of gear, who can hardly play.

Salsg

Reaction score
The internet was born in 1974. That would mean you got your JMP in 1959? Marshall didn't even exist at that time.

1974? I didn't know Al Gore invented the Internet way back then

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
:cool2: I dunno..... I read somewhere, maybe here, that a Line 6 Vetta could slay anything that Marshall made. It came from a reliable source....

:):) TWIN

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
I had a 900, had diode clipping. Bought it brand new in '94 when I had no idea what was what. Didn't care for it.

Now I have a Jubilee, it has diode clipping. It's arguably the best amp Marshall ever made.

"Politics" never played a role in any of my amp choices.

Adwex, WILL YOU PLEASE take that Beer off the top of that jubilee.

:):) TWIN

jupiter89

Reaction score
Sorry, but for those of us not as informed, what does a diode actually do and what is meant by diode clipping ?

Hayride13

Reaction score
Switch to Wild Turkey.

To keep things in context with this thread, there could be some that say that Wild Turkey sucks without trying it but in all honesty, I've given it a good fair taste and still prefer Jack. Cheers!

joepete

Reaction score
I think you should vote with your ears and not the bullshit you read on forums. I have actually owned the models I comented on or have at least played or worked on them. Most of the comments about something sucking or a my amps better then yours- arent to be taken seriously. As with anything you have to sort through the bs to find the valuable info.

Ken

Reaction score
Sorry, but for those of us not as informed, what does a diode actually do and what is meant by diode clipping ?

It's the way a solid state amp makes distortion. There are several ways diodes can do this; some better than others. Some amps like the Jubilee and late 800 series combine diode clipping with preamp tube distortion to give a wider variety of tone, while some like the JCM 900 DR have an entire channel dedicated to a SS preamp.

Contrary to a few posts here, do not confuse what a boost pedal does with the SS preamp in a SS amp. While the principle may be the same, running a pedal through a pure tube amp will sound a lot different than an amp with a SS preamp pedal or no.

Ken

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
To keep things in context with this thread, there could be some that say that Wild Turkey sucks without trying it but in all honesty, I've given it a good fair taste and still prefer Jack. Cheers!
Yup. To each their own! :cheers:

But WT has a cork...

Last edited:

Hayride13

Reaction score
Hmm, I know there's a few that I've tried but Knob Creek is the only one I can think of right now.

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
:) Of COURSE I'm a corksniffer. My Marshall is good, Yours is bad. Even if it's the same Model.

I will cut you some slack for having the same model though.....

IN FACT, I own the only Good Marshall that was ever made.

Easy-Peasy

:lol::lol: TWIN

Latest posts