Marshall Politics

• Thread starter Joe2000
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MM54

Reaction score
...while some like the JCM 900 DR have an entire channel dedicated to a SS preamp.

Bull shit. I get tired of correcting you, Ken. It's not a SS preamp, it has a clipping circuit in place of a traditional V1, the rest is all valve. It uses a ss system for changing channels, too, but so does the DSL and most any modern channel-switcher.

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
Poo on politics, guitarist need to discover what works for them.

Before I Make the following statements it should be noted that I have owned and played an uncountable number of manufactured amps, Boutique, Custom built and Production models. I am a Marshall guy. I would have no problem performing with any of their tube models ever made, period. That being said.......

The 800's bring out the best in me. Both 2203 non-diode and 2210 diode. There are Plexi's and JCM 900's here as well. The 6100 and 2555 sound great too. The 2000's are cool as are the JVM's.

It seems that I can get all I need out of the 800 2210/2203 and 900 4100/2100. I really have not heard anything offered new beyond 1993 which I would prefer that can not be dialed in with the earlier heads. The clarity and sustain when pushed by an OD pedal is unparalleled on all of the tube models up to 1994 IMO. It's not that I am slamming the DSL/TSL, I have not given them a lot of time due to having found my tones.

The closest related model to the 2210 would be a Jubilee and the closest to the 2203 would be the 6100 according to my ears, lol. At this point it seems to become a re-invention of the wheel.

I must admit that with a couple of tweaks shared with me on the 2203X, it has become a Super Badass Amp but when wanting to play the fast melodic crying solo's the 1987-1989 2210/2205's pair up nicely with my hands for the Norum/Malmsteen tones. But so do most of the Marshall heads. It's all in how YOU use it. Just my $.02

Personally my next investments will be a 1959SLP Re-Issue to "Mod" up like my 2203X. Then something totally different. I believe a Diezel VH4 is in my future just for contrast.

The JCM 800 2210 (Ass Kicker) can be heard here for those new to the Forum.

http://www.supload.com/listen?s=cgXYHb

David :jam: :cheers:

WWW.MySpace.com/DavidCHopkins

Codyjohns

VIP Member
Reaction score
Poo on politics, guitarist need to discover what works for them.

Before I Make the following statements it should be noted that I have owned and played an uncountable number of manufactured amps, Boutique, Custom built and Production models. I am a Marshall guy. I would have no problem performing with any of their tube models ever made, period. That being said.......

The 800's bring out the best in me. Both 2203 non-diode and 2210 diode. There are Plexi's and JCM 900's here as well. The 6100 and 2555 sound great too. The 2000's are cool as are the JVM's.

It seems that I can get all I need out of the 800 2210/2203 and 900 4100/2100. I really have not heard anything offered new beyond 1993 which I would prefer that can not be dialed in with the earlier heads. The clarity and sustain when pushed by an OD pedal is unparalleled on all of the tube models up to 1994 IMO. It's not that I am slamming the DSL/TSL, I have not given them a lot of time due to having found my tones.

The closest related model to the 2210 would be a Jubilee and the closest to the 2203 would be the 6100 according to my ears, lol. At this point it seems to become a re-invention of the wheel.

I must admit that with a couple of tweaks shared with me on the 2203X, it has become a Super Badass Amp but when wanting to play the fast melodic crying solo's the 1987-1989 2210/2205's pair up nicely with my hands for the Norum/Malmsteen tones. But so do most of the Marshall heads. It's all in how YOU use it. Just my $.02

Personally my next investments will be a 1959SLP Re-Issue to "Mod" up like my 2203X. Then something totally different. I believe a Diezel VH4 is in my future just for contrast.

The JCM 800 2210 (Ass Kicker) can be heard here for those new to the Forum.

Download 09 Fall To Me Solo - MP3 Ringtone 09 Fall To Me Solo by David C. Hopkins - Free Music Hosting

David :jam: :cheers:

David C. Hopkins on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

That 2210 sounds beautiful........ I love that tone David. :applause::cheers:

mike mike

Reaction score
Wow...

There's a HUGE difference as has been discussed in many threads. Creating distortion from a diode clip in the preamp will send a signal with the signature SS harmonics to the power amp to make louder.

A pedal up front of a tube preamp will send a signature SS harmonic pattern into the amp, but the tube preamp will take that pattern and add on the harmonic pattern that only a tube can provide.

Granted some people like the SS type of harmonics, so a pedal through a tube preamp may not be to their liking. The JCM 900 is better suited for that sound.

Ken

amps like the Mkiii have it after the preamp and poweramp so it doesnt erase the tone of either path. so its just like having a pedal in front of it. and sorry if i didnt use correct terms in describing where the diode is in the mkii. all i know is the preamp is very importatnt in those amps

aside from all of that, tone is in the eye of the beholder. every amp makes a different noise, and we can fight all day, but each of us have a different favorite, and it shouldnt be based on how poular it is. i wish we could all be like "oh you like the mg100 better than the jubilee? thats great, i like this amp". no one should be persecuted for their tastes. many people on this forum would probably kill me for sayin that i like Diezel and ENGL, but its my taste. any amp can be good. you just have to have a broader view scope.:h5:

Ken

Reaction score
It's not a SS preamp, it has a clipping circuit in place of a traditional V1, the rest is all valve. .

So except for the SS clipping diode in the preamp stage that replaces the traditional 12AX7 preamp tube, it's all tube. Gotcha!

Ken

Latest posts