Marshall Se 100 informations!

• Thread starter light_n_roses
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

light_n_roses

Reaction score
Hi there!

I own a marshall haze 40 combo full valve amps and it doesn't have a master volume, sadly. I would like to use it with both headphones when it's late night and with an attenuator in order to have better sound out of it. I have seen that the Marshall Se 100 speaker emulator allow to do both things: it's an attenuator and even has an headphone out. I have red the manual of the Marshall se 100 and I have seen 2 things that could be problematic in my particolar case.

The manual state:

1) "Valve amplifiers should be set to 8 Ohms output impedance"

2) "Phone Jack: For the connection of stereo headphones ( 600 Ohms only, maximum power output 200 mW )

Well I have a 16 ohms impedance vintage 30 cone attached to my Marshall haze 40 combo and a pair of AKG k121 studio with 55 ohms impedance...

I would like to know the opinion of someone more competent than me to know if with those 2 conditions I can still use the SE 100...

plexilespaul

Reaction score
the se 100 is an old unit.
buy a new one there are lots on the used marked for dirt cheap and take the volume to wisper level (no headphone though).

light_n_roses

Reaction score
the se 100 is an old unit.
buy a new one there are lots on the used marked for dirt cheap and take the volume to wisper level (no headphone though).

which model do you suggest? As far as I know there isn't that great choice regarding attenuator, expecially at a good price.

There are Weber attenuators which can do both attenuator and have headphone tap exit included but they do cost much much more than what I could pay for the SE 100 ( about 170 us dollars ). Also on weber I have to add to the cost of the attenuator itself the shipping cost to europe and the duty fees ( in the case I would buy it directly from weber website ).

P.S. Also I have seen that the used marked here in europe doesn't offer weber attenuator at all ( very few cases ). Even ebay.com doesn't have that great choice.

Last edited:

plexilespaul

Reaction score
which model do you suggest? As far as I know there isn't that great choice regarding attenuator, expecially at a good price.

There are Weber attenuators which can do both attenuator and have headphone tap exit included but they do cost much much more than what I could pay for the SE 100 ( about 170 us dollars ). Also on weber I have to add to the cost of the attenuator itself the shipping cost to europe and the duty fees ( in the case I would buy it directly from weber website ).

P.S. Also I have seen that the used marked here in europe doesn't offer weber attenuator at all ( very few cases ). Even ebay.com doesn't have that great choice.

don't have experience with the weber but the hotplate comes to mind
and if you want the best on the market go with the rivera crusher

light_n_roses

Reaction score
don't have experience with the weber but the hotplate comes to mind
and if you want the best on the market go with the rivera crusher

well both the devices that you have indicated to me cost much more than how I would pay for the se100. I think that I'll try to take it and see how it works.

Latest posts