Marshall SE100 attenuator and speaker simulator (NOW SOLD)

• Thread starter AML
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AML

Reaction score
se2.jpg

Big heavy box packed with old-style analog stuff. No IRs, no USB port, no latency. Just lots of fat resistors, heavy chokes and transformers to make a reactive load and shape the emulated signal in the style of a 4x12 cabinet. If I remember right, this is the circuit that Marshall 'borrowed' from Groove Tubes (not sure if licenced or plagiarised).

se1.jpg

The attenuation is -6dB, -12dB or -18dB. Which tames a 100W Marshall down to 25W, 6W or 1.5W. There's a Headphone output, too, but I think you still have to have a dummy load attached for silent recording/practice. I think the SE100 manual is still online. It's not tricky to use and the schematic printed on the rear panel makes it easy to setup.

It also has a line level input so you can use it with any other source (not just guitar signals).

se3.jpg

Bad points: missing a few self-tapping screws on the top panel. Some rack rash.

Shipping internationally would be hugely expensive, so I guess this is a UK-only sale.

Price = £250 collected from Cambridge or £265 shipped/insured to mainland UK.

Last edited:

JohnH

Reaction score
It's interesting! I'd never heard of this one until now, I always thought that the Powerbrake was Marshall's one offering. But this SE100, seems like a good version of a robust reactive attenuator with cab-sim, from the early '90's.

AML

Reaction score
Yes, I think it might have been a slow seller. There are so many wound components inside that I suspect it was expensive to manufacture.