• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Marshall SV212

• Thread starter gadgetfreak
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gadgetfreak

Reaction score
Hey I edited this message, maybe this one makes a little better sense sorry. I just scored a Marshall SV212 and it has V type speakers. I also own an Avatar 2x12 cab with Celestion Heritage greenbacks, the 20 watt ones. I prefer greenbacks with the plexi tone, I am going to be using this cab with my hardwired Trinity Plexi 18 watt head, they match well too.

So my question really is if I take the speakers and swap them from cab to cab with the shape of the cab make an audible impact? The V type speakers actually sound really good but they are definitely different than greenbacks. So that's it basically do you think the flavor of the greenbacks with shine through the vertical cab just the same as they do in the Avatar cab?

I know Marshall said they did some research on the V type speakers and people liked them better but I have to believe it was a profit margin decision Marshall came to. For what they charge for these cabs I believe they should have come with greenbacks, isn't that what plexi's and there news SV20H sound best with? Idk, I don't own that head.

These do not come up often but I did score this online from GC in mint condition for less than 300 dollars used so it pays to scrub there used section daily if looking for any gear. I've gotten lucky with every amp in my avatar by getting em used and paying less than half.

Also if I take the V types out of the cab and put in the greenbacks and decide to sell it, I should be able to still fetch more than I paid. I am going to be selling the JVM205H and that Avatar cab which will make more sense with 140 watt rating compared to 40 watt it currently has, hence why I don't really play Jvm through it. I didn't want to damage the greenbacks in it. Thanks all hope to hear what you think of V types.

Last edited:

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the SV20H and the SV212 cab.

When I got my SV212 I had 2 older Greenbacks lying around that I put in after a few weeks.
Thought it sounded great. And it really opened up compered to the V-type.

A couple of months ago I needed my Greenbacks to another cab so I mounted back the V-type speakers in my SV212.

Now I have played the V-type speakers alot and they start to sound really good, so good so that they got to stay, have probably played 80-100 hours on them now and it sounds better and better.

gadgetfreak

Reaction score
Hey Ice I appreciate that story. I know how speakers can react and hence why I was asking. Sure maybe I’m being a little lazy too by not swapping them and hearing myself but like you said the Vs sounded better and better.

I’m really surprised how good they sound for less than a 100 dollars. My greenbacks were almost 200 but they don’t sound twice as good. Tone doesn’t work like that. Hey I appreciate you thanks.

gadgetfreak

Reaction score
Hi question for you, do you think that the Marshall cab would lose value not having V-type speakers in it as originally built? To me the greenbacks would be an upgrade but certain products not having original parts hurts value. I'm not sure if this qualifies? Thanks

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Is the V-Type a mellower version of the Vin 30?
I think that is how I have heard them described in the past. Bit less middy.
I love my V-Type from the DSL40CR. I run it in an extension cab alongside a G12CV in the DSL.
And I'm not sure if I have even broken it in yet with the volumes I play at.

gadgetfreak

Reaction score
Hey all I played my Avatar cab for awhile today and when I plugged in the Marshall Sv212 cab I couldn't believe how much louder and better tonally it sounded. I feel my greenbacks are worn or something isn't right, compared to new speakers they are extremely bassy and not as loud, also seem to not have this feel I get with the newer speakers.

I wrote this long ass post asking what's wrong with them etc.. I'm editing it because I just think that my particular greenbacks for whatever reason aren't sounding and feeling like my other speakers and I am glad I have the new cab.

My Jvm has never sounded so good, I always thought that amp was sterile but it's my cab that was not producing the goods.

Sorry to edit so much, but I was truly so stoked that I was hearing this amazing chewy Marshall tone and immediately jumped on the keyboard asking omg what's wrong with my greenbacks. I think without somebody doing tests and having audio to compare, it was stupid on my part to ask the forum to tell me what they thought could be an issue.

alrighty thanks all, that's why I edited my message. So glad I'm finally hearing my Plexi clone and Jvm again the way I once heard them, and gives me hope that I can even experiment with other Celestion in the future. Peace

Last edited: