Marshall's "Nothing Burger" @ NAMM '23

• Thread starter Gene Ballzz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PelliX

Reaction score
Maybe their new strategy is to push the JTM before Christmas instead of at NAMM. New ownership, new plan, new strategy to see how it fares? :shrug:

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
A couple things... (maybe a few)

1. Marshall just sold, they are probably getting their bearings in order...

2. They were bought out by a small electronics - mostly solid state & computerized, so the pedals makes sense to be their 1st rollout, even if they rolled them out prematurely to NAMM at another show.

3. which leads to NAMM... they are doing the show late, so the cat was already out of the bag. When they have the later NAMM (used to be Summer NAMM in TN) it was not very much taken seriously, & tbh, since the move, not too many are taking it seriously. Next year, they are supposed to be back on track, for winter NAMM (not Spring, Summer or Fall).

4. Marshall, a few years ago, when they were struggling w/ their announcements & fulfillments, said that they were not going to rely heavily in trade shows to release products.

As an aside, Fender decided to sit this one out, because they didn't think it was beneficial to them... Costwise, it costs Marshall a hell of a lot more to do their NAMM showcase. They have to load up a cargo jet w/ stacks & other items, along w/ closing down & sending their group to the US, (flights, hotel rooms, etc). If it isn't worth it for Fender, who are a few miles down the road, it's really hardly worth it for Marshall.

I didn't go, & am not planning on going this year, so, I didn't see Marshall's booth, but, I wouldn't be surprised if they downsized this year as well.

Hopefully things will be back to normal next year & the show can regain lost momentum. Same for Marshall, they have a little catching up to do & a bit to prove...

Last edited:

V-man

Reaction score
A couple things... (maybe a few)

1. Marshall just sold, they are probably getting their bearings on order...

2. They were bought out by a small electronics - mostly solid state & computerized, so the pedals makes sense to be their 1st rollout, even if they rolled them out prematurely to NAMM at another show.

3. which leads to NAMM... they are doing the show late, so the cat was already out of the bag. When they have the later NAMM (used to be Summer NAMM in TN) it was not very much taken seriously, & tbh, since the move, not too many are taking it seriously. Next year, they are supposed to be back on track, for winter NAMM (not Spring, Summer or Fall).

4. Marshall, a few years ago, when they were struggling w/ their announcements & fulfillments, said that they were not going to rely heavily in trade shows to release products.

As an aside, Fender decided to sit this one out, because they didn't think it was beneficial to them... Costwise, it costs Marshall a hell of a lot more to do their NAMM showcase. They have to load up a cargo jet w/ stacks & other items, along w/ closing down & sending their group to the US, (flights, hotel rooms, etc). If it isn't worth it for Fender, who are a few miles down the road, it's really hardly worth it for Marshall.

I didn't go, & am not planning on going this year, so, I didn't see Marshall's booth, but, I wouldn't be surprised if they downsized this year as well.

Hopefully things will be back to normal next year & the show can regain lost momentum. Same for Marshall, they have a little catching up to do & a bit to prove...
All salient points, I daresay counter-balanced (to SOME degree) that the best they could do on their 60th Anniversary was a fucking T shirt.

10kDA

Reaction score
... Costwise, it costs Marshall a hell of a lot more to do their NAMM showcase. They have to load up a cargo jet w/ stacks & other items, along w/ closing down & sending their group to the US, (flights, hotel rooms, etc). If it isn't worth it for Fender, who are a few miles down the road, it's really hardly worth it for Marshall.
If I wuz Mgmnt at Marshall, I would require all the 120V gear I would bring over for a show to be spoken for/on order by dealers/distributor and bringing it over would fulfill delivery, to be picked up by the dealers at the show. I would be very surprised if they didn't have some similar arrangement in place.

If they don't and hadn't thought of it, I'll take the corner office. Why, yes, my daughter could teach me Swedish in a couple of weeks, no worries.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
If I wuz Mgmnt at Marshall, I would require all the 120V gear I would bring over for a show to be spoken for/on order by dealers/distributor and bringing it over would fulfill delivery, to be picked up by the dealers at the show. I would be very surprised if they didn't have some similar arrangement in place.

If they don't and hadn't thought of it, I'll take the corner office. Why, yes, my daughter could teach me Swedish in a couple of weeks, no worries.
they sell most everything as open box, for about ½ wholesale price, to Sweetwater. Still costs them a lot...

AmpAddict

Reaction score
Yep JTM20H next year as Terence said...........mit ss rectifier I would think, if they're following the Studio moniker formula.
I'd love the JTM20 sooner rather than later but as you say we knew it wasn't going to be this year. More time for me to convince myself that I really do need it!

goldtop0

Reaction score
I'd love the JTM20 sooner rather than later but as you say we knew it wasn't going to be this year. More time for me to convince myself that I really do need it!

I'd have to be convinced that it's going to be a different animal to the SV20(after a change of the bright cap resistor on my one which smoothes out the amp overall)........we'll see I guess.

Rodical

Reaction score
I couldn't find anything Marshall on Sweetwaters review of NAMM show...

MaskingApathy

Reaction score
I mean we already knew that Marshall wasn't going to be at NAMM...? Not sure why it was such a big surprise. A lot of exhibitors that did go this year downsized their booths or just did a meeting room for appointments.

Btw, for everyone who complains about Marshall making bluetooth speakers, Fender just came out with one and Ashdown had some of theirs at their booth. Pretty much all of these other companies have started selling other products that are more in the lifestyle brand category.

Another thing is, if Marshall actually did come out with another tube amp (JTM20 or something else) how many of you would actually go out and buy it as soon as it was available? I see on this forum a lot of people saying "they should make this, they should make that" then next saying "all their best amps are the old ones." I think the people at Marshall are well aware of this so they're not going to put something out unless it's good and they think it will actually sell well (like the current DSLs, the DSL40CR is probably their highest selling tube amp).