• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

massive 50th anniversary collection for Dark Side Of The Moon

GibsonMarshallGuy47

Reaction score
the Pink Floyd folks have just announced today they are releasing a collection to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Dark Side Of The Moon album this year. it will include all kinds of stuff - shirts, glasses, hats, and a brand new bloated deluxe box-set reissue (on vinyl & CD) with remastered sound, bonus tracks, an additional live concert from that tour, blu-ray/DVD Surround-Sound audio, the whole nine yards.

Kutt

Reaction score
Just cannot get into the ocean of re-releases, from any band. The high watermark was already set with the original release of a given record. The rest is just noise and fluff. Find the used CD or vinyl for $3 and you have the entire experience in the palm of your hand already.

GibsonMarshallGuy47

Reaction score
Just cannot get into the ocean of re-releases, from any band. The high watermark was already set with the original release of a given record. The rest is just noise and fluff. Find the used CD or vinyl for $3 and you have the entire experience in the palm of your hand already.
I gotcha... personally, I just think it would only make sense to have maybe 2 or 3 different versions of a massive box-set reissue like that... a basic, bare-bones version, a deluxe version, and a super, mega deluxe expanded version... personally, I have no need for the DVD or blu-ray audio, surround sound audio, 5.1 audio, etc... I'm not gonna spend 300 bucks to have a box set, half of which I can't even use... if they had a scaled down version of this for like $100, I would certainly buy it for sure. especially since I haven't bought any of the D.S.O.T.M. anniversary box-sets that have been released over the past 30 years or so... otherwise, no thanks to the $300 collection... although, I am thinking about getting that live show, which they are selling separately.

Seven

Reaction score
Recently purchased PF's remastered Animals CD. That particular album never had a great sound, but the remaster did improve the listenability. The keyboard parts did improve, etc. It was never my favorite, but it was worth a few rotations on the CD player.

Yes, some of us still listen to CD's. I came from the 'album generation' and CD's are just more convenient. Streaming audio is still grating to my ears, but I hear they are developing a lossless method of streaming.

DSOTM and even The Wall sounded great on fresh vinyl so I'm sure it will sound great on a remastered CD, etc.

I'm 100% in support of the remastering trend.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
this is a re-release of the super deluxe box set from a few years back, for the most part.

I wonder if they re-remastered it (again)? :shrug:

In my experience, a lot of this new vinyl isn't w/o it's flaws & having hi-res digital copies is nice, because, in these limited edition sets, you get a defected vinyl & there's no remedy, because they produced a limited number & when they are gone, they are gone.

My brother has purchased a couple box sets, from different bands & labels, only to have defects in the LPs, that are irreplaceable...

The Wembley show, is a BBC recording, which is a nice show.

They have the Alan Parsons mix, which was quadrophonic. They say they have some dolby 5.1 remixes, which might be interesting, but, you'd need a proper theater system to appreciate it. Problem is, most people use their theater system to broadcast theater productions, like blockbuster movies w/ surround effects, not play audio w/ audience behind you...

Roger sure likes to market, welcome to the machine...