Mercury Magnetics?

• Thread starter Joe2000
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Joe2000

Reaction score
Tell me about upgrading my Output Transformer? Will I hear a big difference at low volumes? high volumes? both?
Thanks

krokit

Reaction score
Good question. I know that when I had the output transformer replaced with a no name brand in my 78 2203 in the nineties, some mojo was definately lost. :(
Im def gonna replace it shortly.

Jonathan Wilder

Reaction score
Tell me about upgrading my Output Transformer? Will I hear a big difference at low volumes? high volumes? both?
Thanks

Depends on if the output transformer you currently have is the weak link in your tone chain or not. Without knowing what type of amp, gear combination or type of tone you're after we can't really answer this question accurately. What kind of amp are we talking about?

Joe2000

Reaction score
lets say for a stock DSL? Just wondering how much difference I will hear in the tone. I used to own one and got some great results with NOS tubes in there. But will the OT, PT, choke etc have much of a bearing? If so how much of a bearing will it have at lower volumes compared to when its cranked?

Jonathan Wilder

Reaction score
Lots of positive reports on upgrading DSL/TSL trannys to the MM trannies. The stock trannys in these amps are in fact A weak link (not the only weak link but one of them). MM is one of the only manufacturers of DSL/TSL upgrade trannies. The other one is JCMJMP here on the boards.

Buggs.Crosby here on the forum upgraded to MM trannies in his and I believe TwinACStacks upgraded with JCMJMP's upgrade trannies and both had positive results with their tone. So you have a couple of options here.

charveldan

Reaction score
Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
I put a MM OT in a chinese amp, it tightened up the low end a bit......$300 bucks for that, after tubes and the price i paid for the amp i could have had a nice JMP.

MM are overpriced IMHO, Heyboer & Onetics are just as good and probably cheaper.

I got caught in the marketing on MM's webpage.

Joe2000

Reaction score
Thanks guys. So which out of the OT, PT and choke would have the biggest bearing on my sound? I may try one at a time.

Crossrhoads2005

Reaction score
Thanks guys. So which out of the OT, PT and choke would have the biggest bearing on my sound? I may try one at a time.

Output Transformer would have the biggest impact on tone because it is the only one of the three that carries a guitar signal. The other two transformers I dont see much of an impact since the power transformer provides the supply voltage to the B+ and the filamants and the choke is there to supress a current rush into the tubes when the amp's standby is switched on.

Also, I good luck with transformers made by MAGNETIC COMPONENTS on my JCM 800 combo. They work great and very modestly priced.

Last edited:

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
I am intrested in swapping my OT on my SL-X. Would a Heyboyer/MojoTone OT improve my tone, or would it be like stock replacement??

I think the MM Transformers are EXPENSIVE!!

Hollowbody

Reaction score
Paper-Vs.-Plastic

Check out this link;
I agree (IMO) MM is way over priced

That is a link from a manufacture which means much of the technical and empirical information is most likely presented in an extremely bias fashion.

Saying Mercury Magnetics transformers are expensive is one thing, saying they are dull and lifeless is irresponsible.

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
:) No, but what I HAVE found is that Mercuries tend to sound more "MODERN" IE: Upfront and in Your face, so to speak. They are wonderful in 900s and JCM2000s and I'd bet they kick ass in JVMs--But I wouldn't recommend, (JMHO), their OTs in earlier Marshalls like Plexis or JTMs. You will lose some of that "Vintagey Goodness".

The reason the Older Amps sound looser and smoother is the Shitty components they used way back when. Over the Years the drift of these components gives them that Vintage tone. Don't ask me why inferior caps like old mustards bring ridiculous prices, but they do.

:):) TWIN

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
Paper-Vs.-Plastic

Check out this link;
I agree (IMO) MM is way over priced

I listened to transformer shootout and the overpriced MM isn't any better than the Mojo/Heyboer or the Classic Tone. In fact, the Classic Tone sounded way better IMO. The Weber transformer sounded like muddy and gritty sh**...

Hollowbody

Reaction score
Yeah, you mean the shootout on Classic Tone's website.
:)

Unfortunately it is difficult to develop an opinion outside that sphere of influence unless you have access.

Buggs.Crosby

Reaction score
Those that are saying Mercury Magnetics are overpriced must not have a clue and i will tell you why......this is before getting to know Jon
i was planning on changing my lame DSL tranny with a MM.....then by chance a Fat Stack and a choke popped up on fleabay.....before i decided to bid i contacted MM to see if there was anyway i could test it before i installed it to make sure all was good.
i dont remember who it was that responded to me (though i stiil have that email i think) in that email i was told this

dont worry if it is indeed a MM fat stack it will be fine...if not send it in and we will take care of it

first thing that came into my head was "Fucking Insane"....this is a used item and they are giving me some kinda warranty?.......not sure if that was the case but DSHell would not sound the same without them and it is the very same one that i bid on and won

how many other companies can or will do that?....again they were used!

Over priced?......at $220 used for both to my door and backed up by the manufacturer is far from over priced........that is a customer for life!

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
I listened to transformer shootout and the overpriced MM isn't any better than the Mojo/Heyboer or the Classic Tone. In fact, the Classic Tone sounded way better IMO. The Weber transformer sounded like muddy and gritty sh**...

I hadn't read the whole thing at this point but, i actualy liked the Heyboer,weber THEN classic and LASTLY the MM going purely from sound clips. the heyboer had a more agressive quality with more upper mid emphasis. I liked that about it it was very marshall" sounding.

Buggs.Crosby

Reaction score
ClassicTone.net

i agree with Hollowbody on this.....for one i did not find a shootout on that link....for two....it is manufacturers page....why should we beleive anything other than a bias against their competition?

now i am not saying anything bad about them as i have no experience with them
but at least have a shootout that is impartial if there was one

Latest posts