Mercury Magnetics?

• Thread starter Joe2000
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowbody

Reaction score
:) No, but what I HAVE found is that Mercuries tend to sound more "MODERN" IE: Upfront and in Your face, so to speak. They are wonderful in 900s and JCM2000s and I'd bet they kick ass in JVMs--But I wouldn't recommend, (JMHO), their OTs in earlier Marshalls like Plexis or JTMs. You will lose some of that "Vintagey Goodness".

I have used a MM Toneclone 045JT and then switched to a MM Radiospare 045RS2 in the same amp both times with different sounding results.

I don't think all MM opt have the same sonic signature.

Hollowbody

Reaction score
FWIW:

I like MM but I know they are expensive when I payed straight out retail. I just like being able to hear a compairson from users not companies.

I have a Heyboer opt on a Watts audio Supro clone, my Valve Jr. has a Weber opt.

And I plan on using Magnetic Components on my 18 watt kit and hopefully a Ceriatone Crem Brulee kit.

Seriously, if I can get excellent tone from Classic Tone then why not save the cash.

rads

Reaction score
FWIW:

I like MM but I know they are expensive when I payed straight out retail. I just like being able to hear a compairson from users not companies.

I have a Heyboer opt on a Watts audio Supro clone, my Valve Jr. has a Weber opt.

And I plan on using Magnetic Components on my 18 watt kit and hopefully a Ceriatone Crem Brulee kit.

Seriously, if I can get excellent tone from Classic Tone then why not save the cash.

so far i'm very satisfied with my classic tone JCM800 2204 iron..
tonality is great in low volume playing (1x12") with only volume 1
31072010.jpg

31072010003.jpg

06082010002.jpg

or in studio using 1960 4x12" with volume 7 or more...
and what makes me happy that the 2204 clone cut through the mix in the band..
other guitarist was using 5150, and couldn't hear his guitar clearly, but he sure did hear my guitar loud n clear :D:D:D
09102010.jpg

and the price for the iron is just right for my budget, even though in my case shipping and taxes are pain in the ass...:mad::mad::mad:

Bloodrock

Reaction score
Lots of positive reports on upgrading DSL/TSL trannys to the MM trannies. The stock trannys in these amps are in fact A weak link (not the only weak link but one of them). MM is one of the only manufacturers of DSL/TSL upgrade trannies. The other one is JCMJMP here on the boards.

Buggs.Crosby here on the forum upgraded to MM trannies in his and I believe TwinACStacks upgraded with JCMJMP's upgrade trannies and both had positive results with their tone. So you have a couple of options here.

I've been reading a lot lately about guys here replacing the OT in their DSL as well. I was thinking of upgrading mine, but I checked and I've got Drake transformers in mine, aren't those supposed to be some of the best?? Did they start using a different brand later on or something?

Hollowbody

Reaction score
so far i'm very satisfied with my classic tone JCM800 2204 iron..
tonality is great in low volume playing (1x12") with only volume 1

in studio using 1960 4x12" with volume 7 or more...
and what makes me happy that the 2204 clone cut through the mix in the band..
other guitarist was using 5150, and couldn't hear his guitar clearly, but he sure did hear my guitar loud n clear :D:D:D

and the price for the iron is just right for my budget, even though in my case shipping and taxes are pain in the ass...:mad::mad::mad:

Great shots of the chassis, very nice work.
Are you using Sozo caps? It looks like it, those are great caps.

Buggs.Crosby

Reaction score
I listened to transformer shootout and the overpriced MM isn't any better than the Mojo/Heyboer or the Classic Tone. In fact, the Classic Tone sounded way better IMO. The Weber transformer sounded like muddy and gritty sh**...

keep this in mind....who made the shootout?....what tranny's did they use from the other manufacturers?. so far you have based your opinion off of what is written by the host manufacturer.....with that said i would not hesitate to try a tranny from any of the ones listed

but i am basing my MM opinion after having owned them for around a year or so. and i had great results so i am a little biased towards them.....one tranny not mentioned was the Lydian and i would try his also as we have heard of positive results here on the boards

and as far as modern sounding i would have to agree....but i also have the Fat Stack which was intended to sound modern.......here is a pic of them side by side....there is a good amount of iron to it

Attachments

• Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 19

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
keep this in mind....who made the shootout?....what tranny's did they use from the other manufacturers?. so far you have based your opinion off of what is written by the host manufacturer.....with that said i would not hesitate to try a tranny from any of the ones listed

but i am basing my MM opinion after having owned them for around a year or so. and i had great results so i am a little biased towards them.....one tranny not mentioned was the Lydian and i would try his also as we have heard of positive results here on the boards

and as far as modern sounding i would have to agree....but i also have the Fat Stack which was intended to sound modern.......here is a pic of them side by side....there is a good amount of iron to it

It was not done by them, it was done by Granger Amplification :hmm:

jtunes

Reaction score

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
saying they are dull and lifeless is irresponsible.

Why is that? Maybe they are "dull and lifeless" or maybe our ears aren't the same as yours! And just for my own curiosity, what major amp manufacturers were using Mercury Magnetics transformers 30 years ago? Do they have the established reputation that: Stancor, Thordarsen, Triad, Hammond, Heyboer or for that matter Dagnall & Drake does?

demonufo

Reaction score
Saying Mercury Magnetics transformers are expensive is one thing, saying they are dull and lifeless is irresponsible.

Well, I find them (in general, I've only tried about 5 now) lacking in harmonic content compared to the likes of Heyboer, and earlier Drakes, and actually a bit harsh. Certainly not dull, but not floating my boat either. A little bland, maybe, except for the extra top-end (that I don't need or like much).

Definitely overpriced though, given the competition. I don't care how good they look. You can't seem them behind the headbox front panel.

Latest posts