Help with Metal Voicing Tone Mod for AFD100

thebeaner687

Reaction score
Help Advice needed Voicing for Tube Amp. Cathode Bypass n Cold Clipper help. Metal Tone using AFD100 style amp.

So I modded my amp. I do not have an AFD100 but I used this schematic to build myself one. I can switch from a stock JCM800 to the S.I.R. #34 mod with a push pull Gain knob. Then another push pull knob to add the S.I.R. #36/39/AFD mod to the circuit. It works really well. But I wasn’t too happy with that particular sound. I felt that adding the extra gain stage I was creating a High gain amplifier so I decided to convert it into a Metal Gain stage. I changed the stock 22nF for a 1nF coupling capacitor. But the result was very metal but the drawback was that it didn’t have enough gain so I changed the 10k cold clipper for a 39K cold clipper. The new Amp voicing for this gain stage is very metal which means I was very successful but there is almost no bass at all in the amplifier.
Option 1. Should I add a new Bypass Capacitor to the 39K of 1uF
Option 2. Replace the 100nF next to the 39K for a 1uF or another value. Maybe 330nF, since 39k is almost 4 times of the original 10k. Maybe a 390nF capacitor?
Option 3. Switch the cold clipper for a regular gain stage of 1.5kilohms and bypass of 1uF,2.2uF or 10uF capacitor.

Option 4. I’m asking for any helpful advice. I’ll eventually get to the right voicing for the amp and I will update this post. I’ll just try Trial And Error till I get it right. Any help is appreciated since there isn’t much knowledge about cold clippers.
(Santiago where are you?)

I arrived at the Metal Tone by analyzing the Channel 3 and 4 of the VH4 Diezel Schematic, the Orange Dark Terror schematic and an 18Watt Schematic of the Orange Thunderverb.
I noticed that the first Gain Stage coupling capacitor is always 1nF, followed by 2.2nF in the 2nd Stage and finally arriving at 4.7nF at the 3rd Stage. I like how the CH3 gain stage of the VH4 goes from 1nF to 4.7nF. Of course the gain stages are all normal gain stages with 1K resistors and 1uF to 10uF bypass caps in those other amps. The bypass capacitors add bass back into the signal since the tiny coupling cap removes a lot of bass. Or squeezes the bass out. Not sure but it sounds pretty good. I’m thinking of combing the 22nF that goes to the Phase Inverter together with the 47nF similar to what’s in the Wizard amp. 22nF to 470k to 47nF to Phase Inverter 12AX7. 47nF is used in the Kerry King signature jcm800 and I have tried replacing the 22nF with the 47nF but the whole amp was too flubby. Maybe separating the 22nF and 47nF with 47K will sound good. 470k is too much volume loss for me especially in the last stage of my amp.

Attachments

• IMG_0115.jpeg
    IMG_0115.jpeg
    351.6 KB · Views: 0
  • afd100 2.pdf
    97.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 36 by Frank Levi .jpg
    36 by Frank Levi .jpg
    428.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Orange_Dark_Terror.png
    Orange_Dark_Terror.png
    59 KB · Views: 0