MG100DFX Crunch channel gain far too high

• Thread starter stratfordade
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stratfordade

Reaction score
I was just assessing an MG100DFX that seemed to have very trivial issues (cosmetic stuff, and couple of scratchy pots) but otherwise sounded great on Clean and OD channels. But when I selected Crunch option on the clean channel it sounded terrible — far too high gain and nothing like a crunch sound at all.

Happened to have an identical MG100DFX in too for a new fan so thought I'd check with that, and the Crunch channel behaved in exactly the same way. It's like Crunch its way higher gain than the OD channel?

Is this an MG100DFX design fault? I was working on an MG100HDFX head recently and I'm sure it didn't behave like this at all.

Thanks for any advice.

FutureProf88

Reaction score
Mine behaves that way. The Crunch mode on Channel 1 has loads of gain if you run it past about 1 on the dial. When I want a classic sound from it I use the OD channel in OD 1 mode and thicken it up with the contour control and the EQ.

stratfordade

Reaction score
Thanks. Not just me then! Wonder why Marshall arranged it like that? Not experienced it in other amps including other Marshall’s where the crunch has just that nice nasty edge to it, but not in OD territory.