Modding my 900! (All tube, with clips)

• Thread starter iron broadsword
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

iron broadsword

Reaction score
Sounds great!

Gonna have to see if I can get a similar tone on mine sometime.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
s'all good.

Been a busy week at work but I've gotten a chance to play here and there. I've found that I can get some absolutely mind-bendingly thick and clear metal tones with my EMG81-equipped Torero now. I don't know if the dual rectifier I'll soon be purchasing will be able to do as good a job.. One of the last mods tschrama posted here removes fizz and it makes the high gain stuff SO FRIGGIN SMOOTH. I'll have to take a look at what that is doing to the circuit.. Very very similar to putting a 10nF cap across the volume lug of a dual-rectifier preamp I built, so much so that I am wondering if it is in fact doing the same thing.

But yeah anyway, metal tones.. you know the high gain modern metal sound that is ultra clear, wide, thumps, has soaring highs and yet somehow really smooth because it is crazy loud and the amp is working hard? Yeah, sounds like that. At any volume.

Man if you are getting that at any volume be happy. Sounds like your amp is an ass kicker.:yesway:

What 6L6 type tubes you like in yours IB? I have never used 6L6's..always 34's in my amps so I have no mileage at all with them. Just wondering. I'd like to mess around with some and see. So far I like the 5881's.

With this amp I can plug in 34's, 6L6's and it bias's them up individually automatically. Could even mix the 2. What I want to do is try 6L6's though.

Hotrodd

Reaction score
@Iron Broadsword
Hey I'm a little late, but I just heard the sound clip of the modded 900, great work! That last take is incredible, sounds perfect and ready to be put on record.

iron broadsword

Reaction score
Man if you are getting that at any volume be happy. Sounds like your amp is an ass kicker.:yesway:

What 6L6 type tubes you like in yours IB? I have never used 6L6's..always 34's in my amps so I have no mileage at all with them. Just wondering. I'd like to mess around with some and see. So far I like the 5881's.

With this amp I can plug in 34's, 6L6's and it bias's them up individually automatically. Could even mix the 2. What I want to do is try 6L6's though.

I've tried tungsol 6l6gc and sovtek 6l6wxt+ which I run now. I like both either clean or dirty. When I bought it, it had EHx tubes and sounded great too, but they died soon after and I never really got a chance to evaluate them. The sovteks do seem to have a little something more when clean though.

iron broadsword

Reaction score
@Iron Broadsword
Hey I'm a little late, but I just heard the sound clip of the modded 900, great work! That last take is incredible, sounds perfect and ready to be put on record.

Thanks man!

seeker88

Reaction score
Re: Modding my 900! (with before/after clips)

All of them were stock except the one tschrama made.

Here's a good reference vid that compares a super lead, 2203x, and a dual reverb. The super lead wins, IMHO, but not by much. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9gAXfqN0h8

Notice he's playing everything a tad faster on the 900. The Slash demo really shows it. For me I always felt the 900's track faster than the 800's. Just a more modern version. All three sounded good.

iron broadsword

Reaction score
You know... It really does. I don't think I ever noticed that before but it definitely tracks quicker. It always had a nice quality when playing fast leads, but I assumed the previous marshals would've been similar in that way.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
I have a clip of mine and the rhythm at 20 sec. is the best example of the tone. Efx looped I think I was using the SD-1 up front , B channel gain low vol about 3 on the dial. That amp has quite a punch in 100w mode !
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/jamn_2006/outback-angus[/SC]

spacerocker

Reaction score
In my opinion, the 2203X sounds best for rhythm, and the 900 sounds best for leads!

My modded JVM sounds like the 2203X clip, but with more gain (on crunch Red) and a better, high-gain lead sound than both on OD2 Orange.

The 1959 and the 2203 definitely have that upper-mid emphasis that I love!

iron broadsword

Reaction score
Those clips were great! This week should be less crazy for me, so hopefully I'll get a chance to dig in some more up here in the frozen northlands.

iron broadsword

Reaction score
Alright, spent some quality time with the amp again and then recorded 10 minutes of me messing with different settings and pedals. Don't mind the sloppy playing!

http://ghostsauce.net/random/900 test 4.m4a

I start off on channel B, eventually kick in a big muff along with it, then lose the muff and crank the gain up to 3pm, Gain back down and eventually switch to the clean channel around the 5min mark. After that it's all clean channel straight in until I toss a big fat clean boost on at the end at 8min. All of this was with my singlecut again, not the one with emg's.

Last edited: