Modern Marshalls - Flubby Compared to Older Circuits?

• Thread starter JamesD
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JamesD

Reaction score
Is it just me, or does anyone else find it frustrating that modern Marshalls tend to have a 'flubby' low end compared to older circuits, such as the Plexi's, 800's, etc.?

I bought a JVM205H, and there's this 'flubbiness' in the low end that I cannot EQ out for the life of me without ending up with a razor-thin sound (basically no bass at all). I've had a couple DSLs that were like this too, which is why I don't have them anymore. The JVM might be out the door too if I'm not able to resolve this.

I don't have this problem with my 2204 running through the same cab, same cable, same guitar, same day, same hands, same ears, same level of sobriety, not smoking crack....

Any suggestions?

PaoloJM

Reaction score
Is it just me, or does anyone else find it frustrating that modern Marshalls tend to have a 'flubby' low end compared to older circuits, such as the Plexi's, 800's, etc.?

I bought a JVM205H, and there's this 'flubbiness' in the low end that I cannot EQ out for the life of me without ending up with a razor-thin sound (basically no bass at all). I've had a couple DSLs that were like this too, which is why I don't have them anymore. The JVM might be out the door too if I'm not able to resolve this.

I don't have this problem with my 2204 running through the same cab, same cable, same guitar, same day, same hands, same ears, same level of sobriety, not smoking crack....

Any suggestions?

Start drinking and smoking crack? :confused: :lol:

Marshall seem to be adding more gain without altering the basic 1959/2203 type circuit.
Preamp distortion in the low end can cause flub and I'm guessing that's your problem.
EQuing in the loop simply reduces overall low end.
Try the EQ in front and cut everything from 250Hz downwards. The low end will build up through the preamp stages but will only be overdriven whereas the rest will be heavily distorted. This is ideal for a big, strong punchy low end. You can then crank the bass control and resonance, if present, and start shaking some windows.
Your preamp can be modded to do effectively the same thing, but it's wise to check if that's the solution you want first by checking it the way I suggested. It'll give a good indication.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
have a look at the first cathode cap in the circuit. Go with 1uf or 0.68uf.

JamesD

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give them a try.

Murfdog

Reaction score
I've been having the same problem with my Vintage Modern. It has a GREAT blues/classic rock sound in the Low Dynamic Range, but when I switch to the High Dynamic Range the tone thins out a bunch. The Vintage Modern has two preamp controls; Body(for low end)and Detail(for high end). If I dial the Body to match the Detail, I get flub. Nothing I do can fix it.

ironlung40

Reaction score
I don't have any suggestions other than I've noticed it too, especially on the DSL's. As a result, I've stuck with the older marshalls. I do have a vintage modern, but I don't play really high gain with it. for my higher gain marshall tones, I play the 6100 and 2203, and it seems that my 2203 is tighter than the 6100, but the 6100 has so many ways to set it, I'd have to tweak awhile to know for sure.

Last edited:

MM54

Reaction score
My 900 I suppose is somewhere between old and modern, closer to modern, but the flub really tightened up a TON when I switched to EH 6CA7s.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Good comment Matt. I too am running several amps with the EH6CA7's. I like the low end of this tube. It's tight and defined. Running these in a TSL100 and a JMP 2203.

JamesD

Reaction score
Thanks Matt and Marty. I'll try the EH6CA7's in the JVM.

EDIT: Hahahaha! I have EH6CA7's in my 800! Awesome!

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
be careful with gainsettings on the JVM on the OD channel... the more gain, the less definition

also, i've heard from a lot of people that swapping the sag resistor for a choke does help
as for myself i don't have any problems, i'm running my 410H on KT77's biased pretty hot... but the fact i'm using .012/.056's helps too

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
JC hit the nail on the head. Cathode cap change, Make sure the Grid blockers are at a 5K6 Value instead of 220K (DSL), and install a choke They will sound Awesome, with as firm of a bottom end as a 20Year Old Girl.

:lol::lol: TWIN

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh man, the direction this thread went is giving me a flashback from many years ago: It involved traveling, a very long drive in my car, having to urinate but not wanting to get off the highway as I was making good time, and something almost getting stuck in a Lipton Ice Tea glass bottle . . .

:wow:

triftstrassa

Reaction score
I don't have any suggestions other than I've noticed it too, especially on the DSL's. As a result, I've stuck with the older marshalls. I do have a vintage modern, but I don't play really high gain with it. for my higher gain marshall tones, I play the 6100 and 2203.

Yup me as well.
No matter how many times you say it though, there will be 13 people who will tell you their dsl will do the 800 thing perfect, but they have never actually OWNED a 800.....

Ill stick with old marshalls..

Buggs.Crosby

Reaction score
Yup me as well.
No matter how many times you say it though, there will be 13 people who will tell you their dsl will do the 800 thing perfect, but they have never actually OWNED a 800.....

Ill stick with old marshalls..

ive never claimed my DSHell nails an 800.....what i claim is it nails a hot rodded 800.....no i have never owned an 800....but i have sat in front of them more times than i could ever count
and i dont need no stinkin pedals......green channel not red.....in fact i may never use the red again
and you have never owned a DSHell so you cant compare either.....in fact i probably have a better clue how they compare than you would.......and i did not say DSL.....i said DSHell