My Marshall Jcm 800 Lead Series 50 Watt Tube Combo Amp - Info - Help?

GrahamL

Reaction score
Hi All,

First time poster and long time Marshall customer and owner. As mentioned in the title I have a "Marshall JCM 800 Lead Series 50 Watt Tube Combo Amp" that I bought lightly used when I was 18 years old (1986) and have had her ever since. Lovingly cared for and she hardly left my place other than a few Jam sessions in my teens.

Looking for some help and assistance on the year, model and anything else you can give me on it.

EDIT: https://www.flickr.com/photos/149157754@N04/sets/72157666534139827/

I don't know much about all of the specs etc. but know she still sounds Fing Awesome! Times are a little tight and may need to sell it as Im getting a little older and its much too loud for my condo.... I could wake up the city of Vancouver BC Canada where I live if I turned it up to 11 and rocked out haha but playing my Little Martin acoustic much more these days.

Anyway, had a bit of a read on here and great to see knowledgeable people sharing great info. Please take a look and let me know your thoughts, information and approximate value in todays market. I don't want to let go of her but may need to to get caught up on some financial "stuff".

Thanks so much and please feel free to ask any questions/details and I will do my best to have a look for it. One thing I have never really seen on another combo like mine is the steel toggle switches for Power/Standby... they mostly seem to be plastic red glowing lights on the 50 watt amps Ive seen. Does that help to define the year or model in some way?

Edit: Wow.... She hasn't been moved since I moved in three years ago... please excuse black dust on the carpet lol I was doing some sanding in this room. I need to give her a good clean as well. Time to plug her in and give her a warm up run... its been a while ;-)

Thanks again! Cheers

Last edited:

GrahamL

Reaction score
Picture File was too large... :-(

SpHj

Reaction score
On the back is the serial number. The Letter in the serial no: will tell us the year.

Is it a 2x12 or 1x12 speaker combo? And is it the single channel or 2 channel model.

As for the metal toggle switches that’s a Canadian thing. I’m in Ontario, I’ve got a bunch of them.

This is what I normally use live..

SImple%20Rig.jpg

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
The U in the serial indicates 1986.
Its a vertical input 4010. I have one as well, Canadian issue. Crazy loud, killer amp!!
You need to turn ut up now and then as do I!! Ear ringing loud in no time.

GrahamL

Reaction score
Thanks SPhi.... I think we have twin amps ;-)

GrahamL

Reaction score
Thanks Jethro... yeah crazy loud!!! I wish there was a .5 or something ;-) What is the approximate value these days? after some looking around it seems like it may just be better to get plugged in again and do some old style jams with some buddies again haha.

GrahamL

Reaction score
Can you guys share your "Hard Rock" settings please. I seem to be getting even heavier tone than before since its been resting a while....

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
One way to tame the volume control is put a 12AU7 in the PI slot as it has a much lower gain value so less goes to the power section.

I'd have to look at mine. I use an OD pedal in front with the volume or level fairly high on pedal but ZERO gain. That way it's pushing the daylights outta the front end. Amp gain around 7 - 10song depending. Then I can turn off the OD for cleanish sounds and kick it in as needed.

It's sorta worth wahtever you are willing to pay that someone is willing to ditch it for! Not many around here on the bald assed prairies so I paid I think around $1500 for mine but I sought it out.

c9blvkJ.jpg

GrahamL

Reaction score
Thanks Jethro, Ill try my distortion pedal on 0 gain and use just the amps gain and see how that works. Can i ask which distortion pedal your using now? After a lot of research recently it seems that the MRX Super Badass is the right one for me... I just need to give it a try.

Please share your choice of distortion pedals JCM 800 users ;-)

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
It's an OD pedal. Slightly different. It has a Volume and Gain control. So many really good ones. I use a Bad Monkey partly because its all I have and partly because it has bass and treble settings.
Works with a few amps. Was super with the DSL. Sounds good with the Jubilee and the JVM even though it doesn't require one on most channels.

GrahamL

Reaction score
Thanks Jethro. I just noticed that my amp is set to 8 OMS, can I dial it back to 4 (I know nothing of electronics and dont want to risk blowing up my amp). Also this looks like a great device to bring my amp down to bedroom levels without losing the tone:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Thanks Jethro, Ill try my distortion pedal on 0 gain and use just the amps gain and see how that works. Can i ask which distortion pedal your using now? After a lot of research recently it seems that the MRX Super Badass is the right one for me... I just need to give it a try.

Please share your choice of distortion pedals JCM 800 users ;-)

Boss SD-1 and Ibanez TS9 will get you every tone you need, also a Boss GE7 EQ pedal to boost and thicken tone if needed which I suspect you will being its a combo.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Thanks Jethro. I just noticed that my amp is set to 8 OMS, can I dial it back to 4 (I know nothing of electronics and dont want to risk blowing up my amp). Also this looks like a great device to bring my amp down to bedroom levels without losing the tone:

The ohms on a tube amp and a cab or speaker need to match. If your amp is set to 8 ohms its because your speaker is 8 ohms, check to make sure this is true on your amp and are set correctly.

Oh and thanks for the link, I contacted Carl to see if he can make a foot switchable attenuator pedal for lead boost.

GrahamL

Reaction score
Oh and thanks for the link, I contacted Carl to see if he can make a foot switchable attenuator pedal for lead boost.

Moved part of thread to the Tone Zone so others there can participate:
http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/carls-custom-guitars-speaker-soak.82281/

Cool, Let us know when you get it It would be great to hear more about it. There seems to be anohter model that is even cheaper but not sure how it is different $17.50.
So cool that Carl makes these by hand in the USA ;-)

https://www.carlscustomguitars.com/The-Original-Volume-Box-Guitar-Amp-Attenuator-Volume-Box.htm

https://www.carlscustomguitars.com/...guitar-amp-volume-attenuator-Speaker-Soak.htm

Moved part of thread to the Tone Zone so others there can participate:
http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/carls-custom-guitars-speaker-soak.82281/

Last edited: