My set up…. for now

• Thread starter Matthewthomas
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Matthewthomas

Reaction score
Wanted to make sort of an appreciation post to those who have helped with tips and info when I was on the hunt for a set up to go with my newish Les Paul and budding interest in classic rock (started out as an acoustic blues type character, Robert Johnson etc)
I know this set up is relatively Mickey Mouse in the grand scheme, but it’s definitely working for me.
I picked up a used Origin 20H for what I think was a good deal (a little over half of what it would be new+tax)
I got the cheapest Klon knockoff and reverb pedal Amazon prime can buy (which both work great btw and I feel like the Ori20H definitely needs a boost/drive even for classic rock tones)
Then I added an MG412 cab for dirt cheap and I’m really glad I listened to the few voices who come out and defend these - you can probably tell already I’m not the pickiest or snobbiest tone hound out there, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with this cab, even stock. I know if I A/B’ed it against a 1960 with GBs etc it would be night and day, but it’s totally cool; I’ll still 22E152B8-0289-4A21-A217-CDEF9B1901D9.jpegplan to throw in at least a couple of legit g12’s of some sort eventually, but it totally works as is. Don’t believe the people who say tube amps sound bad through it. (in fairness my comments are only in reference to playing at home)
I think my next step will be to get something like a Two Note captor for attenuation and other tricks down the line…
Many thanks to all those who have contributed their insights, and really just everyone who makes this a great forum and resource for newbs like me

Last edited:

Matthewthomas

Reaction score
Ditto what @tallcoolone said,…

I like the size of those MG 4-12 cabs, more manageable for old, handicapped guys, ahem,…

What speakers are in your cab?
Yes, the size is a huge plus (in a less is more type of way). I was actually shocked at how light it is because I was expecting it to be heavy, as mdf is heavier than plywood and I have no experience with 4x12s. But they are cheapo lightweight speakers which helps and the compactness helps it to be more manageable. I can actually carry it up the stairs with one hand, holding one handle and kind of resting it on my hip, though it scares me a little that the handle might fail.
I just have the stock speakers which are called G12-412MG (I think they are sometimes called g12-30mg in 1x12 combos, they are 30w power handling - small magnets and when you hear them back to back in comparison videos on youtube they completely pale in comparison to the usual suspects (i.e. proper celestions like v30, greenback etc), basically they sound very flat in comparison. However, just the fact that it is 4 speakers at once and I'm playing at low volume, it actually sounds really good to me, certainly not something that makes me feel I need to change before using. Though I will want to upgrade them for fun and I know they will be better, but I'm not going to rush out and overpay for high end speakers - since it's totally fine as is, I'll wait for the right opportunity.

Old Punker

Reaction score
Wanted to make sort of an appreciation post to those who have helped with tips and info when I was on the hunt for a set up to go with my newish Les Paul and budding interest in classic rock (started out as an acoustic blues type character, Robert Johnson etc)
I know this set up is relatively Mickey Mouse in the grand scheme, but it’s definitely working for me.
I picked up a used Origin 20H for what I think was a good deal (a little over half of what it would be new+tax)
I got the cheapest Klon knockoff and reverb pedal Amazon prime can buy (which both work great btw and I feel like the Ori20H definitely needs a boost/drive even for classic rock tones)
Then I added an MG412 cab for dirt cheap and I’m really glad I listened to the few voices who come out and defend these - you can probably tell already I’m not the pickiest or snobbiest tone hound out there, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with this cab, even stock. I know if I A/B’ed it against a 1960 with GBs etc it would be night and day, but it’s totally cool; I’ll still View attachment 125684plan to throw in at least a couple of legit g12’s of some sort eventually, but it totally works as is. Don’t believe the people who say tube amps sound bad through it. (in fairness my comments are only in reference to playing at home)
I think my next step will be to get something like a Two Note captor for attenuation and other tricks down the line…
Many thanks to all those who have contributed their insights, and really just everyone who makes this a great forum and resource for newbs like me
Hmmm...

Marshall tube amp and a Les Paul,

Looks like you have all that you need! :applause: