NAD - 18W TMB

• Thread starter Caesar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Caesar

Reaction score
I don't know if this is the correct forum for this since it is a kit and not an official 1974, but I got one this afternoon.

I was out shopping for a vertical 2x12 and happened into a small/independent shop to take a look around. While chatting with the proprietor, I noticed the tiny info tag on a head that i walked right past on my way in. It said "18 watt clone" and the price. The conversation shifted to that and i was telling him it has been on my (very) shortlist of amps I want to build.

He told me what he knew about it: built by a local guy, thinks its a mojotone, etc. I told him that I wished I hadn't seen it because the price was very attractive. He then told me that if I wanted it and was paying cash, he knock $100 off the price.

I said "Yup."

Soon as I got it home, I popped the chassis out to inspect the build and try to determine the source of the kit. It is a Weber 6M18TMB and it looks really well done. I'm no expert (I've only built a 5F2A Princeton), but it looks clean to me.

That curiosity satisfied, it was time to plug it in. Oh boy. I love this amp. I'm blown away by how good it sounds. I ran it through 2 open back 1x12s (one Avatar Fane M65 and a Celestion G12T75) with single coils and humbuckers and everything sounded great.

I thought I was content with my SC20H, but this thing... Wow. Just awesome.

Here's a pic. I didn't think to get any while the chassis was out.

18W_20Wb.jpg

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
HNAD!
I'm not sure if clones go in "Other Amps" or not. :hmm:
Other than the paisley, it seems plenty Marshal-ish to me.
Now spend some of that $100 you saved on some less hideous tolex. :D

dtier

Reaction score
Are you liking the TMB channel best? How loud do you have to get for good breakup? Most of the TMB 18 watt clones have a master on that channel. Without it your surely clipping the power tubes first.

neikeel

Reaction score
18w are sweet amps, both trem and tmb types.
Is yours valve or solid state rectification?

BlueX

Reaction score
HNAD! 18watters can be really nice amps.

Caesar

Reaction score
HNAD!
I'm not sure if clones go in "Other Amps" or not. :hmm:
Other than the paisley, it seems plenty Marshal-ish to me.
Now spend some of that $100 you saved on some less hideous tolex. :D
Yeah... Part me likes it because it's different, but I'm not sure if i would re-tolex it or replace the cab altogether with one that is more SC20H sized.

Caesar

Reaction score
Are you liking the TMB channel best? How loud do you have to get for good breakup? Most of the TMB 18 watt clones have a master on that channel. Without it your surely clipping the power tubes first.
Honestly, i need to play with it a lot more. I don't really know anything about the circuit (real or clone). I looked at the 1974X manual to see what it's supposed to do.

I didn't hear a significant difference on any input. I downloaded different layouts and schematics so i can try to find changes that were made.

Caesar

Reaction score
18w are sweet amps, both trem and tmb types.
Is yours valve or solid state rectification?
It is a Weber solid state rec. I don't know if i can simply pop in an EZ81 or what difference it makes. More to research...

wavytech

Reaction score
I built a Mojotone 18W TMB 1x12 combo with EZ81 rectification and a Celestion Blue Bell that sits next to my JCM800 4104 2x12 combo. They share the same preamp design; the 18W has a dual EL84 output while the 4104 uses dual EL34 output. The Marshall is heavier and 3db louder but they sound eerily similar and react to pedals the same way. I have a crude demo here JCM800 v 18W TMB.

Attachments

• IMG_0514.jpg
    IMG_0514.jpg
    838 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0512.jpg
    IMG_0512.jpg
    790.4 KB · Views: 7