NAD: 1959 SLP with Green Day´s "Dookie Mod"

• Thread starter Melodyne
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kamran

Reaction score
Never said that it was an SH-4. I said it was recorded with a Les Paul and that my own LP Studio has an SH-4 in it. But it actually takes me closer to the sound even with the SH-4. Billie had the Bill Lawrence dimebucker in at that time, I know.

But however, if you think it was the strat, it´s okay as well.

well i guess your source would have no reason to say that it was different guitar then it actually was (especially something unexpected like a PRS) so you very well may be right. strange that cavallo would specify that it was his strat though if it wasnt lol. :D

how big of a difference do you hear between the gibson P90 and the antiquity one?

Melodyne

Reaction score
I don´t really know if Blue wasn´t really used here and there, but as I said it was mainly a LP and a PRS - that´s what my guy said and he´s been with the boys since the very early beginnings. I think I´ll ask him one more.

Well, I think you can clearly hear a difference in the video. In my opinion, the Gibson P90 has a more pushing lower midrange. In the video the Gibson P90 was a litte bit closer to the strings (actually also the run of the strings from bridge to the but is different between the two guitars since the neck angle is different), so the Antiquity would have a bit more output than shown in the video when bot guitars were set up the same. I actually prefer the Antiquity for cleaner stuff since it´s a bit clearer, but rather take the other axe with the Gibby P90 for lead stuff. In other words I´d go with the Antiquity for trilogy stuff I guess, the Gibson P90 for AI/21st CB stuff.

oachs83

Reaction score
Thanks man :wave:

Yes, one of the biggest Green Day fans out there and got some close connections to the band luckily.
Luke

Love the sound I have been interested in the 1959 amps but am afraid of the volume may be too loud for the gigs I do but have a huge hard on for the sound these amps kick out. BTW I am from Mankato, if your as big a Green Day fan you might know the connection with Billie and my little town?

Melodyne

Reaction score
Love the sound I have been interested in the 1959 amps but am afraid of the volume may be too loud for the gigs I do but have a huge hard on for the sound these amps kick out. BTW I am from Mankato, if your as big a Green Day fan you might know the connection with Billie and my little town?

You could have a PPIMV (post phase inverter master volume) installed or use an attenuator/power soak. The Dookie plexi has a master volume as well and the boys never turn it up to more than 4, so it´s not thaaat loud.

Mankato, that´s where BJ´s wife 80 (;)) is from :wave:

oachs83

Reaction score
Mankato, that´s where BJ´s wife 80 (;)) is from :wave:

Yes, maybe. I dont think she was born here but went to the university here. The rumor has it they met and he was trying to wooo her so he played in this area a bunch around 1991 before they hit it big.

The Ozzk

Reaction score
Sounds scary close. I wouldn't be able to tell the tone apart from the original.

If you wanted BJA tone, you've got it. :yesway:

Melodyne

Reaction score
Holy shit, a battle by two of the biggest Green Day fans on the forum it seems. :ugh:

Where´s a battle? :lol:

Sounds scary close. I wouldn't be able to tell the tone apart from the original.

If you wanted BJA tone, you've got it. :yesway:

Thank you. But there´s still a lot to do. To get the REAL sound I´d need to have the same mics ´n stuff, as well a second plexi with another mod (SE Lead). Actually thinking about getting me the other plexi :ugh: But that would kinda be an overkill I think.

I love Green Day but I can't stand Billies filthy mouth.

WOW!!! You can say F**K. Shut up and just play!!

Are you refering to the Iheart-Radio disaster back in Vegas in 2012 where he smashed his Jr. with the doublecutaway? That wasn´t Billie ... I mean yes, it was, but he was hung up on drugs and alcohol. There was an interview some hours before the show and he was already drowned in alcohol there. I´m glad he went to rehab right after this, that just was not his real ego, he´s an absolutely lovely guy. Wasn´t his best time from late 2010 (South-America tour) to late 2012 according to his rants and constitution.

Melodyne

Reaction score
I have those in.

GD have Groove Tubes "Gold Series" 12AX7-R as preamp tubes and Groove Tubes EL34-M in their touring amps since they´re sponsored.

JJ´s mixed with other NOS preamptubes (don´t exactly know which ones) and Swetlana Winged "C" EL34 powertubes in their studio amps.

SovietWaffles

Reaction score
Hey man, the amp sounds awesome!

Would you mind sharing your EQ settings? Also do you know if they can do the mod on a JCM900?

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hahaha :D

The 75´s in the no-name cab are old ones luckily. The 1960B with V30´s I have is back from 1999 and had the 75´s inside ... threw them out into the no-name cab and put the V30´s inside. Great ones these old 75´s.

My 1960A is from 2011 and it´s 75´s hasn´t been played that much ... not quiet sure if they even had their break-in.

My grand children shall throw the V30´s out and put the 75´s in if they prefer them - not my problem now :lol:

here's some "broken in" 75's from the 90's-
rock
https://soundcloud.com/diesect20022000/dirt-queen-demo
metal(ish) melodic metal
https://soundcloud.com/diesect20022000/ascension-full-song-w-fx
some kind of guitar rock thing not sure but i wrote this one too, more cleans....
https://soundcloud.com/diesect20022000/titan33

yes i have some tracks with drums up but they are all axe fx II right now with no actual speaker cab and this is those speakers. i figured i'd post it so you (maybe) can hear if yours are broken in(yes i'm a nerd)

Melodyne

Reaction score
Hey man, the amp sounds awesome!

Would you mind sharing your EQ settings? Also do you know if they can do the mod on a JCM900?

Thanks man.

The original Dookie settings are like

Presence: 4
Bass: 6.2
Mids: 5.5
Treble: 3.7
Gain: 3.5
Volume: 3.5

Not quiete sure I used the absolutely same settings ... volume was definitely more quietly.

Live settings are basically the same but Mids around 5-6.

I prefer backing up the Treble and Presence a lot ... shitloads of twang when playing a Junior otherwhise.

I know the mod can be done on a JCM800 2203/2204, not quiet sure about the 900.

Cheers,
Luke

BigMacFullerton

Reaction score
Killer amp!!! Where/who did the mod for you? Assuming you didn't do it youself. Very nice collection of guitars too

Melodyne

Reaction score
Killer amp!!! Where/who did the mod for you? Assuming you didn't do it youself. Very nice collection of guitars too

Thanks buddy.

Martin Golub of L.A. Sound Design usually does the mod. I actually got it from somewhere else. I´m not allowed by whom in detail, but "closer to the root".

Melodyne

Reaction score
I haven´t had my amp turned on for about a month since I´m building up a litte home studio, but it somehow sounds much different now - way more gain, more growl in the lower midrange ... love it, but hard to get that clean tone now.

Sent a cell phone clip to my buddy who has the same amp from LA Sound Design and he meant it sounds awful, "like a standard Marshall".

Render - Clyp

Only Senn 421 here (other clips where with SM57 as well), LP Jr. with Antiquity.

http://clyp.it/3vwm0mlv

Senn 421, Strat with JB, live Settings.

What´cha think?

Last edited:

Latest posts