NAD: 1959 SLP with Green Day´s "Dookie Mod"

• Thread starter Melodyne
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MrBottom

Reaction score
So, I'm intrigued by this thread.

I've spent the last day researching the Dookie Mod (haven't had time to look in to the SE Lead mod yet) and come to the conclusion that still only a couple of guys in the world know how to do it, like what, 23 years after Dookie was released!? And to top it off, it's all still a secret? Seems pretty ridiculous to me. I'd have thought Marshall would have been all over this and created a signature model like they did with the AFD100.

I would like to achieve the sound Melodyne has and the guy in the video I've just quoted above, and I'd even be willing to buy an SLP in the process. What I'm not so inclined to do however is send my amp from the UK to Bob Bradshaw or L.A. Sound Design in Boston or LA, and back again.

Surely this mod can be carried out by a competent tech locally?

I searched around the web and found this German forum thread (click here), whereby the OP claims to have the schematics for the Dookie mod and pictures inside of an SLP from a friend who had the mod done to his amp. Here are the schematics/pictures in question:

Schematic 1
Schematic 2
Picture 1
Picture 2

Can somebody competent here tell me whether the schematics and pictures match up? Could I take this to a tech and have him try this out and it actually work??

Alternatively, does anybody know of any kemper profiles of the Dookie & SE Lead mod, or even better, a mix of the two?

Ghostman

Reaction score
So, I'm intrigued by this thread.

I've spent the last day researching the Dookie Mod (haven't had time to look in to the SE Lead mod yet) and come to the conclusion that still only a couple of guys in the world know how to do it, like what, 23 years after Dookie was released!? And to top it off, it's all still a secret? Seems pretty ridiculous to me. I'd have thought Marshall would have been all over this and created a signature model like they did with the AFD100.

I would say that all comes down to popularity. While they are widely known, I would fathom to say that Slash and Billy are on two completely different levels of guitar-dom. And to think they would actually create a new amp is laughable at best. :D Now if you asked for a Dookie Mod' pair of headphones..... maybe.

MrBottom

Reaction score
I would say that all comes down to popularity. While they are widely known, I would fathom to say that Slash and Billy are on two completely different levels of guitar-dom. And to think they would actually create a new amp is laughable at best. :D Now if you asked for a Dookie Mod' pair of headphones..... maybe.

I'd hazard a guess that, had one been produced, a Billie Joe Armstrong signature released in the late 90's/early 2000s would still be selling like hotcakes today. Or maybe not, I guess we'll never know!

What is more surprising to me however, is that today in 2017 I'm trawling the internet for scraps of information about this mod. I'm genuinely surprised that the hobby amp builders and tweakers out there haven't had this sewn up for years. It's arguably one of the best Marshall tones put to record imo.

Reaction score
Been searching for this tone for a long long time being a massive fan (hence my username!).

Only found out a few years ago Biliie runs two heads a Plexi 1959 (I think?) and an SE Lead both modded to put a master volume and gain. Together they sound heavenly. Enough crunch and attack but not overly muddy.

Unfortunately very few of us can afford the luxury of owning 2 amp heads and getting them modded. I've been trying with JCM800 and Silver Jubilee amps to try and get the same sorta tone and the trick is to kinda lower the gain and crank the master volume as much as you can. Then boost the higher frequencies a bit to cut through.

Vladonutyj

Reaction score
My example:
Marshall DSL100HR
Gibson Les Paul Melody Maker 2014 (Not in stock condition)
Shure SM57, sE2200
Handmade oversized cab 2*12 (Vintage 30, G12T-75)
I use V30 for records

Up The Steen

Reaction score
Hahaha :D

The 75´s in the no-name cab are old ones luckily. The 1960B with V30´s I have is back from 1999 and had the 75´s inside ... threw them out into the no-name cab and put the V30´s inside. Great ones these old 75´s.

My 1960A is from 2011 and it´s 75´s hasn´t been played that much ... not quiet sure if they even had their break-in.

My grand children shall throw the V30´s out and put the 75´s in if they prefer them - not my problem now :lol:
Yeah but with an A and B cab they can make a full stack just the way the gods intended.

Latest posts