NAD: 1966-68 Traynor YBA-1 Bassmaster

• Thread starter Vostre Roy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vostre Roy

Reaction score
New Canadian Bass Head Day Eh!

So, I am not totally done with my Weber. Thing is, I need to understand how to read schematics a little more, right now the amp is not working and I can't figure whats wrong. I need more knowledge, so I put the Weber on hold and did a quick find about another amp to practice myself. Since I was lacking a bass head, I decided to aim for one. After a quick search, I found the Traynor bass head to be fitting my request, all tube, fairly speced and quite easy to find in Canada. Another plus, those heads got lot of space to work in, and the flipped-over electronic construction mades it even more of an dream to work with.

So long story short, I tell my friend with who I play in my second project that I'm looking specifically for a Traynor YBA-1 Bassmaster head, he reply by this: "Oh, a bassmaster right? Yeah, I got one of those". So he really did had the exact head I was looking for, after some harassment he decided to sell it to me. Funny fact: He's also the former owner of the Big B cab I also own. So its a stack back together now!

Specs:

Traynor YBA-1 "Bassmaster"
Year made: Somewhere between 1966 and 1968
45 watt @ 8 ohm output
2 separate channel with their own volume pots (high/low input for both)
2x EL34 power tubes
3x 12AX7 preamp tubes

I haven't compared yet the amp to the original schematics, but I can tell for sure that some mods have been done.

- The originals RCA 7027A tubes have been replaced by EL34, dunno if the bias has been changed.
- One of the channel's input jacks has been removed and disconnected.
- One of the voume pots has a capacitor on it, and the other dont. They are supposed to be the exact same, I'll look more into this.
- The power chord has been upgraded with a three legged chord and the ground lift has been removed.
- I suspect that every pots has been changed, the original volume pots where 4M and they are now 470k ones, and all pots look about the same age.
- I can see that some capacitors has been changed, but most seems stock. - One of the powertube socket has also been changed
- It looks like that the output transfomer has been changed/moved.
- There is a choke on the schematic of the 1966 YBA-1, there's none in mine.

So here are the pics, I'll now begin to work on it this afternoon and tomorrow. Hope to make it work right so I can begin to mod it.

Behold the Canadian stack of dooooooooooom (In fact, I can't post it, Imageshack cant handle it, gotta fix it lol)

p1000429q.jpg

p1000431wd.jpg

According to the serial number, I can tell for sure that it has been made somewhere between 1966 and 1968

p1000432n.jpg

Rectifiers, those look like they are solid-state

p1000434i.jpg

Power Transformer look stock according to my research, might have to contact Hammonds to get their exact specs. Same goes with the Output Transformer on the right.

p1000435n.jpg

p1000436g.jpg

And now, the gut shots. Look at all the place I have to screw around!

p1000438v.jpg

Volume pots for both channel. As mentionned, there is a capacitor on one of the pots, and both are 470k when the stocks one were 4M.

p1000439i.jpg

Input jacks, or what's left of them.

p1000447h.jpg

Some other pots. Caps seems stocks, but I'll compare the value to the schematic.

p1000442w.jpg

Standby switch and pilot light, wich doesn't look stock either.

p1000441g.jpg

Power tube sockets. One is different than the other, according to the resistor attached to it I'd say that the right on is newer.

p1000448ee.jpg

Preamp tube socket. Not much to say. Wiring is old, haven't said that yet, so here's something to say.

p1000449z.jpg

Power chord, as I said, this isn't stock has it has a ground on it.

p1000443i.jpg

I suppose that those are diodes. It says PH 204 DSI on them, after a quick search they seems to be some old silicon diodes.

p1000444b.jpg

Those are connected with the input jacks. Those capacitors are obvisouly really young compared to the rest.

p1000445j.jpg

So thats pretty much it for pictures. I will not begin to try and understand how this little amp works. Not much is stock, seems that a couple of mods has been done, I'll try to get them all. I have some mods on my mind, we'll see how it'll turn out.

Cheers!

Vostre Roy

Reaction score
Re: NAD: 1972 Traynor YBA-1 Bassmaster

They're essentially JTM45/Bassman inside.

They actually needs some minor tweaking to make them sound like Plexi/Bassman, but so little that they are basically sharing the same root sound I might say.

I actually found a schematic that matched the way the amp is wired, and it made me realise a couple of mistake I made about it:

This amp is actually a 1972 model, a little more recent than I initially thought.

What I called the rectifiers are actually cap-cans. This amp's rectify using 5 diodes. Pots finally seems stock, schematics show 500k value pots for volume, so now it makes sense. After my study of the amp vs the schematics, I can see that at least two resistors are missing from the circuit and one of them is vital I think. I'll do some more research about that. Also, I found the bias resistor, so now I'll calculate what value I'll need for some new tubes (I'm thinking either KT88 or 6550, KT120 if the PT allows it but I doubt that a lot lol).

Also, I'm thinking about putting two switch in the channel two's input jack holes: One three positions switch wich would simulate a jack plugged in the low input (position one) or the high input (position two) of the channel two and the position three to bypass them. Other switch would be a mid boost switch, I saw that mod on the web and its quite easy to do.

So, everything is going nicely, this amp is waaaaay easier to understand than my Weber kit, so its a good learning process.

Also, here is a picture of the head and the cab together. Cab is a '72 Traynor YC-810 "Big B" 8x10"

p1000426x.jpg

Last edited: