NAD - 5100

• Thread starter fitz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the 5100 I ordered last Friday finally shipped this Thursday and arrived today.

5100.03.jpg 5100.04.jpg

Anybody seeing what I'm seeing?
There's a F-ing 16 ohm 70/80 in there!

5100.05.jpg
5100.06.jpg
I have screen shots of the listing showing a stock G12H-100.
(should be 4 ohm to get the amp output @ 100w)

5100.01.jpg 5100.02.jpg

Hello, Guitar Center customer service?
We have a problem...

Long story short, they have "no idea" how that happened. :shrug:
Offered me the choice of return it, or $100 back on my gear card.
I took the Franklin, keeping the amp... :coffee:

So anyhow, the amp works fine.
- All the pots are quiet and do what they are supposed to do.
- Low floor noise even with the channels cranked w/o a signal.
- Loop works
- Came with a 1-button Marshall FS w/ LED that switches channels. A 2-button should also do reverb on/off.

Tried it through the 70/80 with expected results - sounds like the morning after chili dogs.
Tried it through a G12T-75 in the empty 4210 combo and it sounds much better.
Also ran it through the green 2x10s's and that sounds awesome. :yesway:

5100.07.jpg

Same size chassis as the 5010, so probably going to swap those around and sell the 5010 as a combo in the 5100 cab.
Still have the 4 ohm G12S-50 that goes with that amp.

Fairly sure I can even squeeze the 9" reverb tank in the head above the inverted chassis.

5100.10.jpg

Here's some gut shots if anyone is interested.
I've seen 3310 pics on the web, but couldn't find any specifically of the 5100.
I didn't see anything fried, and like I said, it seems to be functioning correctly, but let me know if you see anything amiss.

5100.08.jpg 5100.09.jpg

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sucks that they somehow “lost” the original speaker. That one resistor with the yellow insulation is a little weird, but I’ve seen that on Marshall PCBs before. Damn, my 5215 has a full size reverb tank! Full width of the cabinet, and it sounds great. How do you like the boost channel?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sucks that they somehow “lost” the original speaker. That one resistor with the yellow insulation is a little weird, but I’ve seen that on Marshall PCBs before. Damn, my 5215 has a full size reverb tank! Full width of the cabinet, and it sounds great. How do you like the boost channel?
The customer service rep called the store and was told it was a return from another store, so they reposted the original listing pics from their system.
I'm wondering if the shipping delay had something to do with a speaker swap they don't want to admit.

Boost channel sounds nice.
I also like having the channel switching that the 5010 is lacking.

I remember not liking the 3210 MOSFET as much.
The 2 I've had always sounded kinda transistor-y to me.
This amp seems more like my 4210, tone wise - obviously solid state, but I like it.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's on the schematic, but not sure...
1712442757675.png

Kutt

Reaction score
Congrats on the amp. I'm willing to bet the picture with the G12H was taken when GC got the amp in. Then someone purchased it, swapped the speaker, then returned it with the Seventy 80 because we all know 99 out of 100 GC employees would not catch that. Then it was sold to you. Whoever did it probably had no intention of keeping the amp. They wanted that speaker.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the amp. I'm willing to bet the picture with the G12H was taken when GC got the amp in. Then someone purchased it, swapped the speaker, then returned it with the Seventy 80 because we all know 99 out of 100 GC employees would not catch that. Then it was sold to you. Whoever did it probably had no intention of keeping the amp. They wanted that speaker.
Yep. I worked at a GC for awhile, and I once saw a Seymour Duncan pickup container with a generic pickup inside it. Sad but true.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. I worked at a GC for awhile, and I once saw a Seymour Duncan pickup container with a generic pickup inside it. Sad but true.
I have to say, I think the customer service dude was super cool about the whole thing.
They asked for no proof beyond my word over the over the phone.
Still a good deal IMO - I'm at a net $199 + S&T for the amp.

Probably only one person on the planet that knew about the speaker swap before I caught it.
No clue if it was returned like that and re-sold unwittingly, or if someone at GC did the deed.
I am suspicious why it took a few extra days before UPS got the package.
Even with the Friday evening purchase and the Easter weekend, it should have shipped out Tuesday, not Thursday.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did some chassis swapping after dinner.
I'm sure the inverted chassis is tightening some sphincters out there in Marshall nation, but it doesn't bother me... :D

5100.15.jpg

The reverb tank fits in the little green head, but I'm getting some noise that increases with reverb.

5100.14.jpg

Just in there temporarily with some plastic wedges.
Going to walk it around the house tomorrow and run it through some bigger cabs.
With the Palmer, I could open it up with a 4 ohm load through the 1922's.
Curious to hear it through some 12's other than the one T-75 and that 70/80 thing.

The 5010 chassis fits nicely in the 5100 cab, but I may rethink this all and get creative with a new cab build project. :hmm:

5100.16.jpg

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice, That's still a good deal...although them old h100's are fine speakers. Good of them taking care of the mistake.

I think I'd leave it in the combo cab, and with your skills make the appropriate size cab to fit the combos width..that inverted thing would drive me nuts!..lol.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the G12T-100 is still available in 4 ohm, if you want to achieve correct output. Not as good as the original G12H-100 IMHO though. Should be able to buy a new one for the $100 credit you got.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the G12T-100 is still available in 4 ohm, if you want to achieve correct output. Not as good as the original G12H-100 IMHO though. Should be able to buy a new one for the $100 credit you got.
There's a "Hot-100" that comes in 4 ohm - looks like a 70/80 mag cover...
K-100 looks more like a T-75, but 8 ohm only.
Other current production that can handle 100w are the Red Back & neo Copper Back.

There's a no-name Fender-ish looking 212 cab on the local CL with a T-75 & H-80 for $100.
Looks series wired, so I'm guessing 8 ohm each.

I'm going to put the chassis back in the combo, sans speaker, and see if that reverb hum goes away.
Still planning to walk around and run 'er through some different speakers from the hoard before I decide what to do next.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I'd leave it in the combo cab, and with your skills make the appropriate size cab to fit the combos width..that inverted thing would drive me nuts!..lol.
If I could find a 1931B, I think it would be the perfect size for an extension cab for a little combo stack.
Only one I'm seeing on the Verb is on the other side of the pond.