NAD! 5213 Mosfet 100 Twin Reverb

cjs42079

Reaction score
Happy Friday people! I picked this baby up cheap ($200) on Wednesday, rescued it from an old dungeon-y basement. It had almost 40 years of dust, dirt and spiderwebs on it. All of the knobs crackled. Volume would cut in and out constantly. Footswitch wasn't working, and reverb appeared dead. I took it all apart, spent some time carefully cleaning it, got my bundle of q-tips and deoxit and went to town. And the results were....awesome! Everything works as it should (I think), but it does sound better with something in the fx loop (pedal or patch cable).

I'm not sure how common these are around here. I picked up a Lead 12 last year and love it so much that I couldn't pass up the chance to grab this, even if the condition seemed dodgy. This amp is super cool! The noise floor is higher than I'd prefer, but the tones are fantastic, and super loud - this amp can rumble your guts! Heck, the V30's and Drake tranny alone were worth it. Speaking of - these V30's sound waaaaay better than the V30's in my new SJ 2536 2x12 cab. Are they vastly different makes? Or do I just need to play the SJ for 35 more years to break them in?

Attachments

• IMG_5044.jpg
    IMG_5044.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_5038.jpg
    IMG_5038.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_5042.jpg
    IMG_5042.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 53

Wildeman

Reaction score
Happy Friday people! I picked this baby up cheap ($200) on Wednesday, rescued it from an old dungeon-y basement. It had almost 40 years of dust, dirt and spiderwebs on it. All of the knobs crackled. Volume would cut in and out constantly. Footswitch wasn't working, and reverb appeared dead. I took it all apart, spent some time carefully cleaning it, got my bundle of q-tips and deoxit and went to town. And the results were....awesome! Everything works as it should (I think), but it does sound better with something in the fx loop (pedal or patch cable).

I'm not sure how common these are around here. I picked up a Lead 12 last year and love it so much that I couldn't pass up the chance to grab this, even if the condition seemed dodgy. This amp is super cool! The noise floor is higher than I'd prefer, but the tones are fantastic, and super loud - this amp can rumble your guts! Heck, the V30's and Drake tranny alone were worth it. Speaking of - these V30's sound waaaaay better than the V30's in my new SJ 2536 2x12 cab. Are they vastly different makes? Or do I just need to play the SJ for 35 more years to break them in?
Killer score, I have a head version and your right, hella LOUD!!!! Marshall SS amps don't disappoint.

Force235

Reaction score
I had a Mosfet Lead 100 in the 80s, hated that amp since the day I bought it. It was like taking a dentist drill to your ears, probably the cause of many a player damaging their hearing, awful piece of garbage, it's sad to see the hearing impaired liking these amps, lmao.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a Mosfet Lead 100 in the 80s, hated that amp since the day I bought it. It was like taking a dentist drill to your ears, probably the cause of many a player damaging their hearing, awful piece of garbage, it's sad to see the hearing impaired liking these amps, lmao.
To bad they didn’t work for you.

Rokinroller

Reaction score
HNAD . Now THATS a SCORE ! Nice one . Those mosfets do have the authentic Marshall tone element going on for sure . Must be SUPER loud with those twin V30 ! Congrats ! :dude: :dude:

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, July ‘86
If I’m not mistaken, that would be a fairly early example of a 5213. It’s not quite the same amp as the 5215 that I have, but I’m curious if it has the same circuit variation in the overdrive channel that my amp does. My 5215 is a very early 86 model, and it’s preamp circuitry doesn’t match the published schematic at all. Anyway, hope you’re enjoying it!