NAD - 5215 Mosfet 100 Reverb

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
EE694D29-6318-43BD-B13C-82868149D521.jpegReally I’ve had it for over a week now, but I wanted to live with it a bit before reporting. I bought it from @Melvin who found it too loud for home use. It’s a 1x15” combo, currently fitted with a Jensen Mod 15-120. I did get the original G15B-100 in the deal, but I haven’t tried it yet.

Certainly, it gets loud fast. 1 on the master is too loud when any of the family is home. In stock form the Boost channel tone is a little dark, and I found the Normal channel a little harsh at low channel volume settings. I decided to tweak the circuit a bit.

Turns out this amp is sort of an oddball. I traced most of the preamp to figure out how to mod it, and it’s totally different from the available schematics. I even emailed Marshall, and they didn’t have a schematic that matches this amp.

Anyway, I ended up adding a cap to the Boost channel tone circuit to let a little more treble through, I removed the treble bleed cap on the Normal volume, and I replaced two of the op amps with fancy Analog Devices rail-to-rail op amps.

This amp is impressive! It really gets punchy when you turn the amp up a bit, and has a nice feel. I don’t know if the mojo is from the Hitachi mosfets or if it’s just the speaker compressing a bit. I don’t think the power amp adds any grit, but the LED clipping in the preamp responds enough like a tube amp for me. Nice smooth clipping that cleans up well from the guitar volume. I dig it, and it’s a keeper! Cheers!

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
HNAD!
Certainly, it gets loud fast. 1 on the master is too loud when any of the family is home.

What ohm is the speaker?
You may be able to cut the watts output with higher ohms.
I used to have a 3210 that was 100w @ 4 ohm, but about 70w @ 8, & 50w at 16.
Just assuming that amp works the same?

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
HNAD!

What ohm is the speaker?
You may be able to cut the watts output with higher ohms.
I used to have a 3210 that was 100w @ 4 ohm, but about 70w @ 8, & 50w at 16.
Just assuming that amp works the same?
It’s a 4 ohm speaker. AFAIK this has the same power section as all the mosfet amps, so I expect it would react the same as the 3210 to an 8 or 16 ohm load. I could try plugging in one of my 16 ohm 2x12’s.

I don’t know if going down to 50 watts into two speakers will be much quieter. I wish the taper of the MV control was smoother. It doesn’t get much louder after 5 on the dial.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What year was it made? I think Marshall makes some of the best sounding solid state amps.

It’s an ‘86. There’s a sticker inside that says 21-1-86, so I’m guessing it’s a very early model. They might have issued the more typical circuit not long afterward.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a 4 ohm speaker. AFAIK this has the same power section as all the mosfet amps, so I expect it would react the same as the 3210 to an 8 or 16 ohm load. I could try plugging in one of my 16 ohm 2x12’s.

I don’t know if going down to 50 watts into two speakers will be much quieter. I wish the taper of the MV control was smoother. It doesn’t get much louder after 5 on the dial.
All I have is a grainy scan of an old photocopied split channel manual, but here's a screen clip about the watts / ohms thing.
1661307623590.png
Not sure if there's an easy fix on the volume taper, but I'd give it a shot of Deoxit and see... :shrug:

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I have is a grainy scan of an old photocopied split channel manual, but here's a screen clip about the watts / ohms thing.
View attachment 113645
Not sure if there's an easy fix on the volume taper, but I'd give it a shot of Deoxit and see... :shrug:
Honestly, the volume issue isn’t that big a deal for me. It was just surprising how touchy the volume is, and I just have to take care when turning it up. It only needs the slightest nudge for family-at-home-volume. I should probably at least get some Deoxit for the jacks.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, the volume issue isn’t that big a deal for me. It was just surprising how touchy the volume is, and I just have to take care when turning it up. It only needs the slightest nudge for family-at-home-volume. I should probably at least get some Deoxit for the jacks.
I know what you mean - my 3210 was similarly touchy with the volume.
It was a bit more controllable with a 16-ohm load, but still skull crushingly loud.
I wound up selling it to fund a 3203 Artist 30w.
Way more crankable at home.

Wildeman

Reaction score
Man congrats! After falling maddly in love with my Lead 12 I really want to snag some more 80s SS Marshalls. These are pretty damn sweet with the 1x15... you should try the 15" Celestion Fullback in that bad boy!
Yeah man, if the tube supply dries up we know Marshall has the recipe to keep us happy.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man... This place is straight up dangerous, I'm really GASing for one of these and a Celestion Fullback...

I'm tripping over Marshalls, just sold my Fenders (it was exotic to have a F but... Marshall is life)... Agh must resist.
I’m with you, man. I haven’t been hanging around here much lately, partly because of GAS. I would love to get a few more Marshalls - like a 3210, a 4203, a 5275, a 3005, and definitely an old 1987.

Troy T. Blues

Reaction score
@FleshOnGear Congrats! I have the 1X12 version (5100) Mosfet 100 Reverb made in '88. I wasn't sure if there was something wrong with mine or not becuae I too find the drive to be quite dark sounding after playing my other Marshalls. When I got mine there were crackles like crazy, but it was all good after some Deoxit in the pots. Do you find that the normal channel is sooo much louder than the boost channel when volumes are set the same? Holy smokes! Anyways, nothing beats a good 80's Marshall SS Mosfet amp, especially something like this with an effects loop and spring reverb. I don't see many of these out there and yours (1X15) may be even more rare.

I'm loving these 80's Mosfets. I have a Lead 12 and a 3210 as well. The 3210 may actually be my favorite sounding amp and I have some great tube Marshalls!

Last edited:

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
@FleshOnGear Congrats! I have the 1X12 version (5100) Mosfet 100 Reverb made in '88. I wasn't sure if there was something wrong with mine or not becuae I too find the drive to be quite dark sounding after playing my other Marshalls. When I got mine there were crackles like crazy, but it was all good after some Deoxit in the pots. Do you find that the normal channel is sooo much louder than the boost channel when volumes are set the same? Holy smokes! Anyways, nothing beats a good 80's Marshall SS Mosfet amp, especially something like this with an effects and spring reverb. I don't see many of these out there and yours (1X15) may be even more rare.

I'm loving these 80's Mosfets. I have a Lead 12 and a 3210 as well. The 3210 may actually be my favorite sounding amp and I have some great tube Marshalls!
I was really looking for the 5100, but this one came up for sale locally, so I couldn’t pass it up. I don’t have an issue with volume balance between channels on my 5215, but that might be partly because of the difference between the tone control on mine and the tone control on the later issue mosfet combos.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
First one of the 5215 I've ever seen. Almost looks like it is in a Lead/Reverb 12 cabinet. ENJOY!
The proportions are reminiscent of the Lead 12, but this amp houses a 15” rather than 10” speaker. It’s a good bit larger!

I’m still struggling to find a 15” speaker that is bright enough for my ears.

Latest posts